WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

LarWat
    Journal Entries

Default Is my Tarp Large Enough?

Hi! I bought a Kammok Ul and an eno underquilt + a sea to summit gear sling. I'm wondering if my tarp is large enough. I'm nervous because I can easily see the underquilt underneath (see picture). I'm going to replace the Eno with a Hammock Gear. Especially since the new underquilt will be down, I'm nervous about rain (I live on the east coast and plan to hike the AT). I could get a protector, but that's extra weight and I'm not sure how valid my concerns are.20210320_173746.jpg20210320_173746.jpg20210320_173746.jpg20210320_173746.jpg20210320_173746.jpg

Get an under quilt protector and you'll be fine.

Just seeing your underquilt should not be a problem. The two problems I would be concerned about are water running down your suspension lines and ground splatter. If you don't already have them, driplines on your suspension will take care of water running down it. As for splatter, yeah, a bigger tarp will allow you to pitch the edges further from your hammock and reduce problematic ground splatter. But, depending on the rain you are in, the ground you are suspended above, and how much edge clearance your current tarp provides (not visible in the provided pictures), ground splatter may be of no concern to you with your current setup.

I wouldn't stress about tarp size. I'd recommend going out and trying it the next time you can find some rain. I suspect that, except in the most torrential rain over hard ground, you will be perfectly fine in the setup you have. Heavy winds might blow a bit of moisture in the ends, and you might get a little ground spatter now and again, but probably not enough to be problematic or otherwise justify a different setup than you currently have.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by SoaknWet View Post
    Get an under quilt protector and you'll be fine.
    I second the motion for the underquilt protector.Splatter will happen on hard established campsites and the UQP will keep it off your underquilt and hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I second the motion for the underquilt protector.Splatter will happen on hard established campsites and the UQP will keep it off your underquilt and hammock.
    Oh, come on. Just pitch the hammock a little off the ground and it won't get any splash and then you get a better view and save the weight of carrying that UQP.
    For example, check this out.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Oh, come on. Just pitch the hammock a little off the ground and it won't get any splash and then you get a better view and save the weight of carrying that UQP.
    For example, check this out.
    Maybe it's better to accept some splatter rather than become the splatter

My understanding is that the tarp ridgeline should be located below the hammock suspension which would lower the side walls. Does this work for your system?

LarWat
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ADK Walker View Post
    My understanding is that the tarp ridgeline should be located below the hammock suspension which would lower the side walls. Does this work for your system?
    No, the mantis has an integrated ridgeline and bug net. The only not-attached pieces are the tarp and accessories such as the UQ and gear sling.

I do have this pic which shows a bit better the width of the tarp (please ignore the fact that the tarp is upside down, it was my first time hanging it). I hadn't yet attached the UQ when the pic was taken. I'm mostly worried about the wind blowing rain under and soaking a down UQ.

IMG_7693.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sam1000000 View Post
    . . . I'm mostly worried about the wind blowing rain under and soaking a down UQ.
    You'd need to be in winds much stronger than most people would be willing to pitch a hammock in to be blowing hard enough push water horizontally under your tarp at enough of an angle to get your quilt wet.

No, the mantis has an integrated ridgeline and bug net. The only not-attached pieces are the tarp and accessories such as the UQ and gear sling.

I do have this pic which shows a bit better the width of the tarp (please ignore the fact that the tarp is upside down, it was my first time hanging it). I hadn't yet attached the UQ when the pic was taken. I'm mostly worried about the wind blowing rain under and soaking a down UQ.

IMG_7693.jpg

From my perspective,the tarp is pitched higher above the hammock than most of us normally pitch it.My assumption is that you are like me and want to be able to stand up under the tarp without stooping over etc when getting out of the hammock and doing chores like getting dressed or packing up in the morning.

That's fine for reasonable weather.If the rain and winds get up you can always lower it.BTW,linelocs on your tarps guy lines are a real convenience if you don't already have some.They allow you to tighten up the lines very quickly without resetting the stakes.

Images

...I'm mostly worried about the wind blowing rain under and soaking a down UQ.

IMG_7693.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    You'd need to be in winds much stronger than most people would be willing to pitch a hammock in to be blowing hard enough push water horizontally under your tarp at enough of an angle to get your quilt wet.
    The great thing about hanging is that unless you're hanging on the only two trees on some bare mountaintop (which I've done and paid for it), wind is greatly reduced by the forest of trees, and so windblown rain really isn't that much of any issue. Just ask the folks that have hung for any length of time using their stock Hennessy. I always have a nice bright diamond under my hammock after a rain.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

++ New Posts ++