WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Water Bottle for SteriPen Classic 3

Any suggestions for water bottles to use with SteriPen Classic 3. My Smartwater bottles too narrow of an opening, and opening has to be wide enough to allow stirring of the SteriPen. Thanks.

Don’t see why a nalgene would not work.

I use the Steripen Adventurer Opti, and had the same problem. I think Steripen makes an "adapter" of sorts, but it looked more like trouble. Nalgene makes a collapsible widemouth bottle (the Nalgene Kanteen), which is lighter than their standard bottles, but of course isn't as light as a Smartwater or other store-bought water bottle.

Although I do use a Sawyer in some places and warmer times of year, I am quite stubborn about wanting to use it in winter, so I came up with a compromise "system": I use a cut-down Nalgene Kanteen (ie, the top & mouth section cut off) as my dirty water bag. I can collect water from running streams or hard-to-reach little drips; the bag holds a liter, and will stand on its own. I use the Steripen as usual, but then pour the treated water into clean Smartwater bottles. If I encounter water with "floaties", I use a piece of tent mesh repair to hold over the top of the bottle as I fill it. I flatten out the bag, wrap it around the Steripen, and hold it together with a hair tie. Stays in my pocket in cold weather.

I myself was skeptical of this setup, thinking it might be fiddly, but it works out very well.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

I have not used a Steripen, but I have used 24 oz Gatorade bottles for a long time. They have a wide mouth, twist open drinking spout, and the grooves make them easy to strap to my pack straps with mini bungees.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I use my .9L cookpot when I'm using a SteriPen. That gives me confidence that all the water is getting full, even exposure, and mess-free. Stir it up and pour it into my water bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by ncwild View Post
    Any suggestions for water bottles to use with SteriPen Classic 3. My Smartwater bottles too narrow of an opening, and opening has to be wide enough to allow stirring of the SteriPen. Thanks.
    The Classic 3 will just barely fit into a standard plastic 20oz coke bottle or 1 liter seltzer bottle that I use and should work with just about any regular water bottle. It will seal the bottle opening and the electrodes will contact water IF you press the bottle and steripen together and hold them carefully with the bottle upside down (see the picture). Takes a little practice to hold the bottle and steripen together while you also swish the water around in the bottle. You get some leakage if you aren't careful!! I bought my Classic 3 a few years back so unless they have changed that model it should work for you.

IMG_2390.JPG
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

I use a Nalgene.

Images

SteriPen has a adapter for Nalgene bottle’s.

Cook pot, cut down nalgene, widemouth gatorade-lots of choices. I use Sawyer Squeeze to fill such then Steripen then pour into smart water bottle. Had G once, don’t wish to repeat. (Took time off trail, was real misery and cost of doctor and Rx -i don’t wish to repeat.)

A wide mouth Nalgene bottle should work. There are rubber inserts that can be used in those to make drinking directly from the wide mouth bottle easier/less sloppy if needed.

++ New Posts ++