WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Lehigh Gap to Delaware Water Gap

Hiked this stretch weekend of 3/12-14/2021. The climb from the parking lot to the ridge was a lot of fun with occasional 3rd Class scrambles. The ridge itself still had snow on the north sides which made walking faster in the mornings when the snow was crust but truly awful past noon when the temps heated up and the snow turned slushy. The last 3 or so miles to Mt. Minsi follow a forest road and were super quick. The down climb to the DWG was slow-go due to the snow and ice on the north-facing slopes of the trail.

I am glad I postponed a planned day hike of Minsi and then over I80 bridge to Tammany. Snow should be gone soon, I hope.

Yeah, Saturday was definitely Type II "fun" on the North-facing sides of the trail. Good luck on your next hike!

in the talk of steepest climbs on the A.T lehigh gap is the rodney dangerfield.hey it gets no respect at all. ranks in my top 5

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jigsaw View Post
    in the talk of steepest climbs on the A.T lehigh gap is the rodney dangerfield.hey it gets no respect at all. ranks in my top 5
    I actually enjoyed the climb out of Lehigh Gap. It was enough to get the adrenaline flowing but not enough to make me fear for my life. The views near the top were phenomenal. Of course, that was early in the morning on a nice weather day. I imagine it would really suck in the rain, especially going downhill.
    It's all good in the woods.

In September 2019, I hiked from DWG to Port Clinton. I really enjoyed the heck out of climbing down to Lehigh Gap! My hiking partner on the other hand was really nervous about it. Either way, I really enjoyed this section, despite the rocks. Honestly, I didn't think the rocks were too terrible.
    Trail Name: Gadget
    Completed:
    NJ - 2016
    NY- 2017
    CT - 2018
    PA, DWG to Pt Clinton - 2019
    NJ (Again) - 2020

Planned:
    PA, Pt Clinton to Duncannon - 2021
    PA, Duncannon to Pen-Mar - 2022

Not to hijack the thread but hiking Port Clinton to DWG in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know where we can safely park a car in DWG now that the Park Visitor Centers are closed?

Images

I parked at the backpacker lot off of Mountain Rd. in DWG last fall. The trail goes right through it. I suggest getting there early if you're going to start on a weekend, it fills up pretty quickly with day hikers.
    It's all good in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by DripDry View Post
    Not to hijack the thread but hiking Port Clinton to DWG in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know where we can safely park a car in DWG now that the Park Visitor Centers are closed?
    Just in case someone else has the same challenges- saw a note about a storage lot across from the Martz bus station that allowed long term parking.
    I called and ended up using them- $3 per day with lights and security cameras seemed to be a great deal to me. It is an easy .7 m road walk to the trailhead.

Just as a side note, my hiking buddy and I found a muddy wallet in the ditch next to the Mountain Rd lot as we were walking by. Not sure if it was related to a break in or not but I have heard mixed reviews on the safety of that lot for long term parking.

The storage lot was Additional Storage in the Gap, 1075 Foxtown Hill Rd, Stroudsburg, PA 18360, (570) 476-7717

++ New Posts ++