WhiteBlaze Pages
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$10 for printed copy(paperback). $6 for interactive PDF. $2 for printable PDF.
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-21-2015
    Location
    San Antonio TX
    Posts
    524

    Default A series of unfortunate day hikes

    Well in October I got to visit the AT.
    I got there a day early and hiked the approach trail from the top of the falls to the arch in regular street sandals.

    That night at camp I couldnt find my hiking sandals. Couldnt find the next morning either. Had a shuttle to catch so hiked the next day in sandals too.
    Sprained my ankle and hiked the next day anyway. From springer to high shoals road. Then that night shut foot in car door.

    Hiked springer to forks still in sandals because ron was still shuttling us around.



    Finally got sneakers. Finished approach trail.
    The hikes got a lot better and easier.

    I did seriously underestimate the roughness of the terrain. I also didnt rest enough because so much to do and see in so little time.

    By neels gap i was never thru hiking the trail. :)

    I did a few miles in every state to PA
    I saw Max Patch
    The ponies and
    McAfee Knob along the way.

    McAfee knob and back is now the longest hike I did in 1 day.

    I wish I had spent more time in HF but I do plan to go back.

    I met Lone Wolf and Farmer Chef.

    My knees still hurt.
    Cant wait to go back and am again hoping for a thru hike someday.

    Starting out in proper shoes. LOL
    The picture of my ankle is 3 days after i stopped hiking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gracebowen; 03-10-2021 at 01:47.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-25-2012
    Location
    Lurkerville, East Tn
    Age
    61
    Posts
    3,555
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Glad to see you got out there!
    Ain't no fun trying to hike in the wrong shoes. Our feet are SO important! I think I could do without my head easier than I could do without my feet.

  3. #3
    Registered User Maineiac64's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-09-2016
    Location
    Woodstock, GA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    653

    Default

    Still fun though right! When your climbing some steep part and questioning even doing the day-hike much less even considering a thru.

  4. #4

    Default

    The trips that go smooth are hard to remember, the trips where it all goes south (no pun intended) are the ones that always stand out. Congrats on getting out there and sticking with it when things went wrong. Nothing wrong with hitting the good spots along the way!
    Trail Miles: 4,090.3 - AT Trips: 71
    AT Map 1: 2004.8
    AT Map 2: 265.0
    Sheltowee Trace Map: 116.0
    BMT Map: 57.7
    Pinhoti Trail Map: 31.5

  5. #5
    Registered User JNI64's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-23-2019
    Location
    Harpers ferry wv.
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,400

    Default

    Awesome thats the spirit way to embrace the suck and work through the pain. And wanting to come back for more says alot.

    Alot of the trail is easy to under estimate what looks like a little bump on the map kicks my butt sometimes.

    You say you've hiked a few miles in every state up to PA, well you're done the state of WV then.

    Huh no edit and now no emojis : ( ......

  6. #6
    Is it raining yet?
    Join Date
    07-15-2004
    Location
    Kensington, MD
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,017
    Images
    62

    Default

    If I ever wrote a book about the AT that would be my title.
    Be Prepared

  7. #7

    Default

    You forgot to mention Laurel Falls in the dark (oh those stairs) & Damascus in the rain, and Max Patch and Wayah Bald!

    You can't say we didn't have an adventure! :)
    ...the maddest of all is to see life as it is, and not as it should be. Cervantes

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-21-2015
    Location
    San Antonio TX
    Posts
    524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    You forgot to mention Laurel Falls in the dark (oh those stairs) & Damascus in the rain, and Max Patch and Wayah Bald!

    Damascus was wet and cold. Yes all that too. Im on my phone.

    You can't say we didn't have an adventure! :)
    It was a great adventure.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-21-2015
    Location
    San Antonio TX
    Posts
    524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    Still fun though right! When your climbing some steep part and questioning even doing the day-hike much less even considering a thru.
    That was Laurel Falls. Part of me wanted to kill Teacher for getting me into that mess. Lol jk. I felt very accomplished at the end.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-21-2015
    Location
    San Antonio TX
    Posts
    524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    The trips that go smooth are hard to remember, the trips where it all goes south (no pun intended) are the ones that always stand out. Congrats on getting out there and sticking with it when things went wrong. Nothing wrong with hitting the good spots along the way!
    The whole trip was to hit the good spots.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-21-2015
    Location
    San Antonio TX
    Posts
    524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Awesome thats the spirit way to embrace the suck and work through the pain. And wanting to come back for more says alot.

    Alot of the trail is easy to under estimate what looks like a little bump on the map kicks my butt sometimes.

    You say you've hiked a few miles in every state up to PA, well you're done the state of WV then.

    Huh no edit and now no emojis : ( ......

    Yes a few miles in every state from GA to WV. Next time im going to plan a whole day for Harpers Ferry.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    If I ever wrote a book about the AT that would be my title.
    I was just thinking "this would make a great book title!"
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

    A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

  13. #13
    ME => GA 19AT3 rickb's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-12-2002
    Location
    Marlboro, MA
    Posts
    7,115
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    I met Lone Wolf ...
    That would have made my day.

    Much respect for pushing through your footwear challenge!

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-21-2015
    Location
    San Antonio TX
    Posts
    524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    That would have made my day.

    Much respect for pushing through your footwear challenge!
    Those sandals were not made for the AT
    Last edited by gracebowen; 03-13-2021 at 19:08.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-21-2015
    Location
    San Antonio TX
    Posts
    524

    Default

    Oh and I forgot to mention. I had a broken thumb too. I broke it about 4 weeks before I went.

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •