WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

May 1 is a perfect start date, but I'm biased: I plan to start May 1. For anyone in shape - especially a marathon/ultra-runner - an avg of 14.43 mpd shouldn't be much of a challenge. That puts your end date at September 30. If your marathon times are consistently under 4h 45min this should be relatively easy, provided you do have some experience hiking, and that you're not planning many nero's and zero's. If you don't have any long-distance experience, if you haven't hiked through mountainous terrain, if you're carrying an inordinately heavy load, or otherwise burdening yourself in some way, the challenge could be greater. I transitioned from long-distance running and biking with years of racing/touring/commuting miles back in 2013, and although I wasn't able to hit 20+ with as much ease as I anticipated (far from it as I started SOBO), the endurance background was a huge asset. I turned 50 last year, and I have been hiking relatively big miles every year since 2013. For reference my times nowadays: 3h 37m marathon, 39m 10k, 29 mpd avg on last LASH from Springer over 862 miles. I'll be trying to hit just over 30mpd this year on my thru. Keep hiking and you should have no problem, I imagine. BTW Pronghorn antelope... the fastest land animal on the continent? Just goes to show you that college kids aren't always that smart. Not much meat on those things anyway, can't imagine they were ever the target of persistent hunting - which isn't a myth, but rather a strategy still in practice.

Good luck GreenPete. I am about your age and have hiked all my life. I have hiked a few trails in the region but never a full section of the AT. Now that my daughter lives within a couple of hours or so from the Smokies I think this is the year to give it a try. My plan is to start out near Damascus on April 10th. (my 62 birthday) and see how well my body & my ambitions get along. Assuming all is well, I will go as far north as possible and then SOBO from Damascus. Two of my goals are to avoid the herd and to avoid heat extremes. I can handle cold weather just fine. The AT is looking crowded this year so that may change my NOBO plans. Maybe I will see you on the trail.

trying to delete

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyJohn View Post
    Good luck GreenPete...Two of my goals are to avoid the herd and to avoid heat extremes...Maybe I will see you on the trail.
    Thanks, NJ. Like I told Colorado Rob, I'll have a bright blue backpack, eyeglasses, and ponytail. I'm trying to avoid the herd as well, but getting harder to do these days (this year could be better or worse, don't know). Starting May 2 now, since May 1 looks to be crowded at Amicalola.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by greenpete View Post
    Thanks, NJ. Like I told Colorado Rob, I'll have a bright blue backpack, eyeglasses, and ponytail. I'm trying to avoid the herd as well, but getting harder to do these days (this year could be better or worse, don't know). Starting May 2 now, since May 1 looks to be crowded at Amicalola.
    In case you haven't seen this... an AT "heat map" gives you an idea on when parts of the trail are crowded or not. Use the pull-down menus and apply whatever date you're interested in.

https://www.wherearethehikers.com/heatmap/

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    In case you haven't seen this... an AT "heat map" gives you an idea on when parts of the trail are crowded or not. Use the pull-down menus and apply whatever date you're interested in.

https://www.wherearethehikers.com/heatmap/

Pretty amazing. I think I'm timing it right. Thanks Rob!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++