WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: New to the IAT

Default New to the IAT

My wife and I are looking to hike from newfoundland to katadhin. There is clearly a gap in the trail from prince edward island to cape gaspe that I would like to close. What would be the best way to navigate this. Is there a ferry at all that runs from PEI or New Brunswick to cape gaspe. We can and are willing to hike the whole way but since it is not an official connection we are open to suggestions

Looks to me there is one ferry from Newfoundland to Nova Scotia. And another which goes to Labrador, but I don't think you'd want to go there. Why you would want to go to PEI is beyond me, there is one road on and off the island and it looks like there is also ferry.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

There is a portion of the IAT on PEI that is why I want to go there. The ferry on one end and the road on the other. But is getting from the bridge to cape gaspe. There is no official route connecting them. Just trying to find the best way

Quote Originally Posted by dtp81390 View Post
    There is a portion of the IAT on PEI that is why I want to go there. The ferry on one end and the road on the other. But is getting from the bridge to cape gaspe. There is no official route connecting them. Just trying to find the best way
    Looks to me that once you cross the bridge into New Brunswick, you need to hitch a ride up to the where the trail starts again. I don't think you want to try walking there. Good Luck!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Not sure if you do FB, but if so, you may want to try asking in this group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/back...neasterncanada

Not a lot of traffic there, but there are a few folks who know that area very well. Good luck on you hike! I have hiked from Baxter north to Matagamon and it was beautiful, but there is an awful lot of road walking after that.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

I believe there used to be bus service from Gaspe to Campbellton, NB and then from Campbellton to the Moncton area near the Confederation Bridge that crosses the Northumberland Strait to PEI. I've emailed the IAT/SIA chapters on Quebec and PEI to see if the bus is still running and will post an update when I hear back. You can also see more about each IAT Chapter here.

Bill Duffy
    Maine IAT Coordinator

Okay, I've confirmed there is bus service from Gaspe to Pointe-à-la-Croix QC (across the Matapedia River from Campbellton, NB) see Orléans Express website for details.

See the Maritime Bus website for buses from Campbellton, NB to Borden, PEI.

Bill Duffy
    Maine IAT Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by Turnbill View Post
    Okay, I've confirmed there is bus service from Gaspe to Pointe-à-la-Croix QC (across the Matapedia River from Campbellton, NB) see Orléans Express website for details.

See the Maritime Bus website for buses from Campbellton, NB to Borden, PEI.

Bill Duffy
    Maine IAT Coordinator

Wow, that is some excellent service there Turnbill! Not even your section and you took the time to do the research

Since you might just know...is there much hope of getting those road walks that seem to be much of the Maine trail moved into the woods? I'd love to walk to Canada, but my feet abhor road walking and get angry after a day or two of it.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Well, the IAT motto is "Thinking Beyond Borders". And, even though I'm the "Maine" IAT Coordinator, I work with all the Chapters and manage the IAT Council Website.

Yeah, road walks aren't my favorite either. We've done our best to get as much of the trail off roads over the last 25 years as possible. In 1996, 90% of the Maine IAT was on roads. By 2016 we had it down to 36% (yes - a chunk is on "rail trail" which some hikers still don't like). This summer we plan to explore a couple of options east of Baxter and KWW to avoid the 15 mile road walk between Matagamon and Shin Pond. Once we figure out a route, we need to get landowner permission, so it's not a quick process.

Bill Duffy
    Maine IAT Coordinator

++ New Posts ++