WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Knee replacement question

How many has the hiked the A.T. after knee replacement surgery

not me, but there's a guy on trail right now with two replacement knees. His surgerys were Feb and June 2019 I think.

His youtube channel is Just a Farmer.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ9...MlhJDJg/videos

Hello Pickle

I had my right knee replaced in 2018, when I was 69.

In 2019, we did Springer Mt to Woody Gap, about 21 miles, and Spivey Gap to Allen Gap, about 42 miles. We skipped last year because the world ended, or something.

I had done some of this before. Compared to then, I certainly take my time now, but the knee did just fine, much better than if I had not had it replaced. That’s pretty rough country. We’re planning a circuit for this year, using the AT and the Iron Mountain Trail just past Damascus around Mt. Rogers, about 66 miles, I think.
    If you haven't had the surgery, everyone will tell you to do your Physical Therapy and then try to stay active. Do that. It is much better after a year. So plan on getting out there, or back out there, or whatever.

Good luck

Rusty Joints
    Half Vast Expeditions
    Chapel Hill

Springer - Susquehanna
    Hanover - Housatonic

I’m getting a knee replacement this April. I’m 65 & have always been super active & in excellent health. Finished section-hiking the AT in 2016, still hike favorite sections.

I have plans for this summer, this fall. I love PT. Hoping for some reasonable fitness by this summer.

wait & see?
    .com

Perfect timing. I was just told today I'll be needing a knee replacement. My first thought was there goes my hiking, this posting kind of cheered me up. Thank you.

Not the AT but I had my right knee replaced in 2008 and within 4 months was back at my job working with college outdoor programs. I retired in January, 2020 just before the madness hit and took a new job working in the Catskills of NYS. Bottom line, since the replacement I've hiked, biked, snowshoed, xc skied, portaged & paddled without ever experiencing any issues. In fact, once I had the replacement, I no longer needed to wear a brace when I skied in the backcountry. Hopefully your experience will mirror mine and you'll be good to go as soon as you're released from rehab.

One thing I will stress though....be vigilant about your rehab. It makes all the difference in the world.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I used to be a personal trainer so I tend to watch people and how they walk. I dealt with several clients after they had knee replacement(s). They all came to me with some serious functional issues. One day, I was talking to a man and he told me he had a double knee replacement. I had seen him walk in the door - not a single "hitch in his giddy up!" I asked him how long it had been. 6 weeks! I asked him what he had done. He said "Everything I was told to do." It worked for him 100%. I would say that if you put in the work for rehab and work into it, you can thru hike. Maybe you can do several of the long trails. That 1 guy was proof that knee replacements don't have to mean leading a "crippled" life.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Journal Entries

I've had both knees replace at the same time. I got the better ones maybe because I told the doctor I was not going to be sitting around the house and I'm very active. Otherwise I'm good. One thing you should ask the doctor is if you should work on the quads before the operation. I did and got out of bed and past the rehab quick.

Journal Entries

Oh, and yes I've done hundreds of miles on the AT. However, you may notice what I have. If you're wearing pants you may notice sweat in the area around the replacements. Sometime I use a magnet in the area to hold the map in place while I'm reading it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SoaknWet View Post
    Perfect timing. I was just told today I'll be needing a knee replacement. My first thought was there goes my hiking, this posting kind of cheered me up. Thank you.
    Glad you got educated! Replaced knees (and hips) are very common in my hiking/climbing circles, and so far in every case the guy/gal was way better off after the surgery. All had fairly quick recovery times too. It's kind of like a knee refresh to "like-new condition". I'm pretty sure I'm only a year or two away from one myself. I'm currently in the pain relief cortisone-shot-bandaid phase right now.

I had partial replacements (essentially caps on both leg bones) on both knees. Pretty quick to full recovery (2 months), no issues since (5 years). Do your PT (starting before the surgery) without fail.

Cosmo

Quote Originally Posted by NY HIKER 50 View Post
    I've had both knees replace at the same time. I got the better ones maybe because I told the doctor I was not going to be sitting around the house and I'm very active. Otherwise I'm good. One thing you should ask the doctor is if you should work on the quads before the operation. I did and got out of bed and past the rehab quick.

++ New Posts ++