WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What is the Golite of today

Many years ago the company Golite (before it went stupid) had excellent ultralight backpacking gear and apparel. I still have many of their products simply because they are so well made the continue to stand the test of time. I'm aware that a company with the name Golite is emerging, but it's not even close to the same. And supposedly the original founder of Golite is creating MyTrialCo.com, but I don't see any products advertised. So, I'm wondering, what company or companies out there now are known for excellent ultralight backpacking gear and apparel that sell at a decent price?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

MyTrail went out of business in December 2019.

Instead of one major vendor like Golite, we now have dozens of small cottage industry companies that create constantly evolving designs. It's a whole new world out there. As far as big (ish) names, Hyperlite comes to mind (they're carried in 3 letter stores). Plenty more worthy of consideration, depending on what in particular you're looking for. I'm biased because Mountain Laurel Designs is basically down the street from me and I own a couple of pieces of their equipment, but their construction quality is top notch.

Garlic
    Images

I've been into UL hiking since 2002 and have never owned anything by Golite. I got my first UL pack from Gossamer Gear, my first UL tent from Tarptent, and both of those companies are going strong and I'm still brand loyal. When Golite went out of business (around 2014?) their outlet store in Golden had a sale, and I still didn't buy anything from them. I remember some ado about Ray Jardine's designs and Golite a while ago--ancient history.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

I tend to support the cottage industries that I've used for decades, but new ones are popping up all the time. ULA and Tarptent have been my go tos for a long, long time.

Oodles upon oodles of LW and UL choices nowadays.

"Decent price" is subjective. I've paid more than $400 for some quilts and thought it was a "decent price" for what I was getting. If you think $300 is too much for a DCF tarp you can always buy a slightly heavier silpoly or silnylon tarp for significantly less. It depends on how much you're willing (or not) to spend for the lighter product; it isn't a moral judgment.

My first pack was a Golite, loved it. The demise of Golite led me to ULA, I never looked back after buying my first ULA pack. I own four of them now. TIgoat is another cottage outfit I bought from frequently, I understand it is reincarnated as Ruta Lacura now.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
    My first pack was a Golite, loved it. The demise of Golite led me to ULA, I never looked back after buying my first ULA pack. I own four of them now. TIgoat is another cottage outfit I bought from frequently, I understand it is reincarnated as Ruta Lacura now.
    Sort of? I think Ruta Locura is the son's company and that TiGoat was the father's? Something like that. My impression was that the father passed away and RL carries a few of TiGoat's old products.

Zpacks
    Enlightened Equipment

HMG is expensive but US manufactured lightweight equipment

I think GoLite was a US design but it was offshored. Offshoring can get the cost down but for a small company that is unable to do quality control at the factory, there is a good chance of quality issues. Sure they can have a great no questions asked warranty policy but its likely they are eating the defective product and that frequently puts them in the red. The other offshore problem is many contractors take the work at a loss and may do a quality product on the first shipment and then sub it out to lower cost/quality supplier for subsequent shipments.

My guess is if a ULA pack gets returned with defect the owner and the rest of the staff take a real close look on what went wrong and how they can make it so it does not happen again.

Wilderness Logics was another CI I bought from frequently, loved the quilts and the customization.

Litesmith has some interesting UL products not found elsewhere.

I have a Golite windshirt I still use very frequently. It has held up well. But many other good cottage companies out there as others have mentioned.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I have two backpacks from ULA, shelters, sleeping bag and other gear from zPacks, and a quilt from enlightened equipment. All are solid companies offering quality products. Lots of choice these days.

Try Garage Grown Gear

Images

ULA & Z Packs are great companies with great customer service in my experience.

Images

Great interaction with one of the owner's of ULA last week, new pack on the way for one of my kids (she's adult sized). Still carrying my 2007 Circuit (and occasionally a Relay), corresponded w Brian in those days.

Probably getting ready to replace a Tarptent with another in the near future.

Western Mountaineering was US made back in the day, many years left in the bag I got from them.

I see Caldera cones are still a thing.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Western Mountaineering still has Made in USA tags on everything. Great bags.
    Be Prepared

Seek Outside made in the USA.

Images

LightHeart Gear - all sewn products made in the USA.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++