WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Shuttle to Arch / Welcome Center from Lodge March 31st am - Shuttle Reservation Help

Looking for a shuttle reservation from Lodge to arch /welcome center. My son and I are arriving at the lodge March 30th and wanting to start at the welcome center arch. Any help or advice would be appreciated. We are doing the first maybe section section.

will the lodge have breakfast/dinner available.

how much will a shuttle cost and how long of a ride

any other advice. Much appreciated!
    Last edited by Nbkax03; 03-03-2021 at 00:06. Reason: Update

You could walk. It's 1.1 miles from the Arch to the Lodge. A very steep 1.1 miles, with 604 rock steps up along the falls. I've never bothered, I just leave from the lodge.

How are you getting to the Lodge? Park or get dropped off at the visitor center and hike up to the lodge. Or maybe you could talk another guest at the lodge to drive you down to the arch. It's all of a 5 minute ride.

Breakfast is included with the room, or at least it used to be.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

thanks for the reply. We are parking at the lodge, and want to start at the Arch vs walking down stairs. Don’t mind paying a shuttle to go from lodge. After we complete first section I plan to use a shuttle to take us back to lodge. If I was going by myself I would do something different but wanting to make it a good experience for my son so he will want to go back with me. Didn’t know if I need to book a shuttle this far out. Again, really appreciate the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    You could walk. It's 1.1 miles from the Arch to the Lodge. A very steep 1.1 miles, with 604 rock steps up along the falls. I've never bothered, I just leave from the lodge.

How are you getting to the Lodge? Park or get dropped off at the visitor center and hike up to the lodge. Or maybe you could talk another guest at the lodge to drive you down to the arch. It's all of a 5 minute ride.

Breakfast is included with the room, or at least it used to be.

Depending on how old your son is, you might take Slo's advice. The climb up to the Lodge is by far the most difficult he will experience on the Approach trail. I [almost] ruined a grandson's hiking interest last year by overestimating his ability to keep climbing with PMA. Just a thought.
    Maybe if he handles the rest of the hike ok by starting at the Lodge, you could finish up with the stair climb as a "grand finale" when you return.

Time it to arrive at the lodge in the early afternoon, drop your gear off at the lodge, drive back down to the visitor center and climb back up to the lodge. It doesn't matter if you park down at the bottom or up at the top. The return shuttle won't mind dropping you off at the center instead of driving up to the lodge, and in fact might prefer it that way.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Excellent recommendation! My son is 23 so he can probably run the stairs. I love the idea of leaving packs at top and doing stairs. Much appreciated! Now I just need to get the shuttle lined up. Thanks again

Try donald, further shuttle, 772-321-0905.

Oone other thought, at start have shuttle pick you up at end of your section then bring you back to where you want to jump off and start hiking.

Journal Entries

Thank you so much. Without all of the ideas here I don’t know what we would have done. So much appreciated!

++ New Posts ++