WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Power Banks

Default if you need more power (for camera, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    The nitecore looks great, I like that if you only need one for a shorter trip you can do that or 2 for longer trip.
    The nitecore NB20000 is due out later this month, according to the company. It has more power than I need, but if you need more, it will likely be the lightest weight 20000 available.

I'm using a 20,000 mAh Anker, can recharge my phone about 3 times and this never failed me. Actually the 20,000 mAh is a bit too big for my purpose.

One thing is important in winter, both devices the Anker and the phone will charge very slow in cold, the Anker even refuses to do anything below freezing.
    As to how many recharges you need widely depends on how you're using your phone, and how good or bad the signal is when you use any.
    Poor signal means high power consumption, same with bright screen setting and GPS tracking.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Don't know, sorry, never measured, never really cared, it charges overnight at town stops, probably in a couple hours.

I would guess charge times, using the same plug/cord, are proportional to the mAH of the unit, meaning a 6700 mAH unit will charge to full in 67% of the time of a 10,000 mAH unit. Always use at least a 2A charger. I've seen 1A and even 0.5A charge plugs, they are slow.
    Not necessarily. When batteries are low, they charge quickest. As they get "fuller" the charging slows. Also, rate of charge depends on the "technology" of the battery. You MAY be able to compare 2 batteries from the same maker but even as technology improves, batteries from the same manufacturer may perform differently. I would use the charging times from the manufacturer as "estimates" only. And temperature may/may not affect charging performance depending on the type of battery/pack.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Just got the nitecore nb10000, it is really nice, hard to believe its so light for the rating. Will definitely get another so will have a pair to use.

I would think the newer lighter power banks will be moving away from 18650 metal cased lithium ion cells and to lithium polymer cells. They have a lot of advantages, not all of which are directly useful. State of the art cells can be charged at 5 times the rate of 18650s so great for those with the right charger but no help if you use a wall wart. They can also discharge at ludicrous rates, like enough to start a diesel engine(talking the cells current capability not saying a 4v lithium cell can start anything without a bunch in series). But the main thing is energy density- a lot of power for the weight.

The NB10000 is lithium polymer and is supposed to have 22% higher energy density than 18650 lithium ion. Impressive specs. The NB2000 would be interesting for annoying video bloggers.

I'm sticking to my 5000 mah 2.9 oz lipstick and 1.6 oz charger with two cables.

I did check with Nitecore support and the NB10000 does NOT accommodate pass thru charging. Not a deal killer but just something to know.

With powerbanks this size (10.000 - 20.000 mAh) its highly recommended to use a dual port high power charger, so you can charge your phone and the power bank simultanously.
    Funfact: This charger is almost the same big size than the powerbank.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    With powerbanks this size (10.000 - 20.000 mAh) its highly recommended to use a dual port high power charger, so you can charge your phone and the power bank simultanously.
    Funfact: This charger is almost the same big size than the powerbank.
    Anker is now making a nano that is 20w and pretty small but woukd need 2.

Why would a backpacker carry a 5+ oz wall charger? It makes no sense to me unless they are trying for a FKT and using towns as pitstops.

It is not like there are 1 hour chances to charge every day. Isn't a charging opportunity during a resupply or a Nero-type day where you are overnighting? And if you are overnighting, does it matter whether the phone and powerbank take 1 hour or 3? Isn't the reason to carry the brick simply because charging opportunities are few and far between? My wall charger with two cords weighs 50 grams total and even if an iphone and 10000 mah powerbank were completely dead, I could recharge both in under 4 hours. A more likely scenario is starting at 30-50% and needing 2-3 hours.

Another way of looking at it, how much are you willing to spend per gram or oz to lighten your base weight? Why throw a heavy wall charger into your pack if it adds no tangible value.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Old_Dog View Post
    Why would a backpacker carry a 5+ oz wall charger? It makes no sense to me unless they are trying for a FKT and using towns as pitstops.

It is not like there are 1 hour chances to charge every day. Isn't a charging opportunity during a resupply or a Nero-type day where you are overnighting? And if you are overnighting, does it matter whether the phone and powerbank take 1 hour or 3? Isn't the reason to carry the brick simply because charging opportunities are few and far between? My wall charger with two cords weighs 50 grams total and even if an iphone and 10000 mah powerbank were completely dead, I could recharge both in under 4 hours. A more likely scenario is starting at 30-50% and needing 2-3 hours.

Another way of looking at it, how much are you willing to spend per gram or oz to lighten your base weight? Why throw a heavy wall charger into your pack if it adds no tangible value.
    Perfectly said, and yeah, it's getting crazy with the blossoming weight of electronics carried these days. I did find myself doing this, but realized it and stopped abruptly. ~12 ounces total is my new limit (7 ounce phone, 4.2 oz external 6700 mAH battery and 0.7 ounce (1 amp) wall plug and 0.3 ounce 12" charge cord) and I'm golden.

I did a search for the Nitecore 20000. It seems it's been anticipated for several months now. That would probably be my choice. I'll likely go for two of the Nitecore 10000 before I start my section hike. I plan on 10 day hikes with no town stops so I probably won't be carrying a charger, thus charger weight not as important for me.

Ah, this might be due to the different approach to hiking between LD-hikes in the US, vs. hiking here in the Alps and in the Middle East desert whre I'm usually roaming.
    During my hikes, the main power source I'll find is an Alpine hut, an inn or a camp where either my time being there is limited to 1-2hrs a piece, or power supply might be temporary only, so usually its important to charge as much capacity as possible in as short time as possible.

In your case, if you stay in a hotel/hostel overnight, it might be possible to charge the phone for a few hours, then switch the cables to charge the powerbank afterwards.

Weight is an issue, as is the general hassle you might have around electronics as a whole, like, keeping it safe and dry, keeping it charged, taking care to not lose or forget, etc.
    But then, modern smartphones are providing so much benefit to hiking I readily willing to accept the downsides.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    Ah, this might be due to the different approach to hiking between LD-hikes in the US, vs. hiking here in the Alps and in the Middle East desert whre I'm usually roaming.
    During my hikes, the main power source I'll find is an Alpine hut, an inn or a camp where either my time being there is limited to 1-2hrs a piece, or power supply might be temporary only, so usually its important to charge as much capacity as possible in as short time as possible.

In your case, if you stay in a hotel/hostel overnight, it might be possible to charge the phone for a few hours, then switch the cables to charge the powerbank afterwards.

Weight is an issue, as is the general hassle you might have around electronics as a whole, like, keeping it safe and dry, keeping it charged, taking care to not lose or forget, etc.
    But then, modern smartphones are providing so much benefit to hiking I readily willing to accept the downsides.
    Makes sense, I did not think of other countries where huts are fairly close and you would want to pack as much charge as quickly as possible into the batteries. I was narrowly thinking AT, CDR, PCT. I did some hiking ages ago above Chamonix and also above Zermatt, I wish I could return someday.

Leonidas

FKT attempt or on days I want to make miles, I may not be stopping anywhere with power except a gas station where I eat lunch. Always nice to get power when you can.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    FKT attempt or on days I want to make miles, I may not be stopping anywhere with power except a gas station where I eat lunch. Always nice to get power when you can.
    After reading all the subject posts I have come to the following conclusion: in the end you would enjoy your hike much more if you did’t take your phone. Take a cheap camera, to take photos. You seldom, if ever, need a phone on a AT. Hike. I took a phone on my thru and used about 5 times.
    The purpose of hiking is to get outdoors and enjoy nature and leave the off trail world behind.
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    After reading all the subject posts I have come to the following conclusion: in the end you would enjoy your hike much more if you did’t take your phone. Take a cheap camera, to take photos. You seldom, if ever, need a phone on a AT. Hike. I took a phone on my thru and used about 5 times.
    The purpose of hiking is to get outdoors and enjoy nature and leave the off trail world behind.
    When you say 'you', you mean that you as an individual would enjoy your hike more that way?

Seems a bit presumptive to assert what others would enjoy.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have been a Caretaker at Upper Goose Pond for 17 seasons. 75% of hikers stopping at the cabin a first question is; " can I charge my phone?" This leads me to believe that a charged phone is the most important thing on their mind.
    This being said, it must be distracting a lot from their hike.
    Grampie-N->2001

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    No phone equals no video. I look at it as my way of providing the slide shows I grew up watching at my grandparents house when my uncle would come home from an adventure. But, I am glad you found what you enjoy doing while hiking. For me; going fast, making big miles, the mental game and balancing when to take a photo/video is all part of my enjoyment of being in the outdoors. If I didn't take my phone, I would hike even faster.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Images

. Take a cheap camera, to take photos. You seldom, if ever, need a phone on a AT. Hike.

most phones nowadaze have cameras that are better than a point and shoot...

and why buy something else if the phone accomplishes the same thing.......

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++