WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Power Banks

When in doubt
    Ask the Internet:
    Confirming what I saw with my 13 Pro and old USB power banks:
    The Apple iPhone 12 & 13 can be charged with the same charger and Lightning cable that came with my iPhone 5s.
    No harm done to the newer phones. Just slower charging.
    Hey. I will be packing. Overnight works for the 5s. It will work for the 13 Pro.
    Since the 13 Pro uses very little battery power during the day, it should charge faster than the 5s.
    Money saved!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Alligator,
    I have a pair of cheaplo Sam’s 10k batteries. The thing charged my new iPhone 13 Pro about 15% in 20-30 minutes.
    I don’t know if that harms the phone. If not, then the USB-C crave might be mostly marketing hype. What else is new?
    The next time I go to Target I will test drive one of their USB-C batteries.
    Thanks for all the help WhiteBlaze!
    Wayne
    The following quote is completely about Samsung S20's (that's what I have) hence Android but may have parallels to iPhone. USB-C can also be used to push video.
    What is Super Fast Charging?
    The Galaxy S20, S20+, and S20 Ultra offer Super Fast Charging so you can get back to gaming or livestreaming faster. Supported by the USB Power Delivery 3.0 PPS (programmable power standard), Galaxy S20, S20+, and S20 Ultra's Super Fast Charging capabilities pull 25 watts of power when plugged in, to repower your phone in a flash. For even faster charging, you can connect your device to the 45W Travel Adapter and harness the power of Super Fast Charging 2.0.*45W Travel Adapter sold separately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    When in doubt
    Ask the Internet:
    Confirming what I saw with my 13 Pro and old USB power banks:
    The Apple iPhone 12 & 13 can be charged with the same charger and Lightning cable that came with my iPhone 5s.
    No harm done to the newer phones. Just slower charging.
    Hey. I will be packing. Overnight works for the 5s. It will work for the 13 Pro.
    Since the 13 Pro uses very little battery power during the day, it should charge faster than the 5s.
    Money saved!
    Wayne
    Maybe on that part I put in blue. I mention this in case you are working off the battery percentages of each phone. If the 13 Pro has a larger battery, it might say it is used only 20% but on a 5s that might be equal to 40% of the 5s battery. Example, if the 13 has a 3000 mAh battery than 20% use is 600 mAh. But if the 5s only has a 1500 mAh battery, the 5s would show a 40% usage for 600 mAh. The powerbank has to recharge 600 mAh. (Alternatively, 20% usage on the 13 is not the same as 20% usage on the 5s.) Now the newer phones also have newer power standards, so maybe it could still charge faster for the some deficit of mAh's. I don't keep up with it regularly.

I'll mention that you can only get as much power as the weakest link between the phone, cord, and charger/powerbank, which is the least among the max the phone can receive, the max the cord can carry, and the max output of the charger itself. I don't much care as long as I can get to the end of the day as at that point I will plug it in overnight (like you).

Having two ports on the powerbank can be useful if you something else that needs to charge. Same for your wall brick charger and with that you want to be sure that the max output can be delivered to both cables. Cheap chargers will split the wattage if 2 devices are plugged in to where it is not the maximum that could be delivered through each cable.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Previous post from a few minutes ago went to Neverland.
    Overnight test:
    11pm. 13 Pro showing 40% charge. Plugged into a generic USB charger with a 6’ USB cable. Both charger and cable are several years old and predate the iPhone 13 Pro.
    This morning, after charging overnight, the 13 Pro showed a full charge.
    Next test: Charge the 13 Pro with both of the 10 Mah batteries that I use for backpacking.
    Wayne

PS:
    I found the 13 Pro battery capacity: 3095 mAh.
    The DXO battery testing is interesting.
    Wayne

I’ll be honest. I wish I hadn’t wasted $100 on the Nitecore NB20000.

I’ve purchased two Anker power banks before (10,000 and 13,000 mAh models) but when I wanted a single, higher-capacity bank (20,000 mAh) I admit I foolhardily went along too quickly with the recent Nitecore forum fad and lighter-carbon pitch.

The major problem with the Nitecore is that it “times out” when charging things like my Apple iPhone, Garmin inReach mini, Garmin Fenix watch, and Petzl headlamp.

I want to come into camp and plug in a couple of devices and then go about setting up the tent, filling an air mattress, lofting my quilt, making water, etc. Later I want to check and see if those devices are done charging and then plug in another (if necessary) while making dinner … but unfortunately the Nitecore has timed out and the first two devices are only two-thirds to three-quarters charged!

So you restart the Nitecore and TEND IT to make sure your most important devices (typically iPhone and inReach) are FULLY charged. Then, you can re-start and repeat to top up anything else you want charged (watch or headlamp).

When I called Nitecore to see if I had a faulty unit they said, “No, that’s within the design specification.” Their detailed email response was, “When a low current device is connected, the power bank sends out a charge for a few seconds and then stops because it is not able to detect the presence of any battery due to its small size.”

Ouch! Isn’t that what backpackers carry? Low current devices like smartphones, sat communicators, watches, and headlamps?

The Anker 525 PowerCore 20K sells for $70 and weighs 12.32 ounces. It is designed with a trickle-charging mode to “provide optimized charging to low-power devices.” The Nitecore NB20000 sells for $100 and weighs 11.45 ounces.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Portable-PowerCore-Essential-Compatible-dp-B08LG2X98F/dp/B08LG2X98F/ref=dp_ob_title_wld

https://www.nitecorestore.com/Nitecore-NB20000-Power-Bank-p/bat-nite-nb20000.htm

In hindsight, isn’t a 20,000 mAh bank, that costs $30 less, and trickle-charges and tops up devices UNATTENDED, worth 0.87 ounces of carry?

For me, yes. If I had researched it more carefully versus impulse purchasing I could have done that math myself and would have read more reviews and found others who had ended up just as disappointed as I am now.

I am glad i am not the only one! Ive had that same problem with my NiteCore NB10000 and a Ravpower 10000. I plugged my stuff in in the morning and went about my chores only to find it hardly charged anything.

For some reason I remember reading in the instructions about putting one of them in a "low power" mode that lets it charge low power devices. I never knew what that ment until now, I bet it bypasses the "timer" ?

I thought for sure it was due to cold temps in the morning because when I stopped for lunch and tried charging again everything seemed to work fine. I dunno. It shouldn't be this hard...lol

Gave up on the idea of "trickle charging" lower power devices such as inReach and NU25 headlamps. A support person told me the inReach is not a candidate for trickle charge and to use the standard power bank mode and keep a fairly close eye on the process, terminating the charging process when complete.

Once left an unattended inReach connected to "trickle charging" only to have it completely drain the Garmin device. I see the advantage of trickle charging as minimal at best. YMMV.
    Last edited by Recalc; 12-13-2022 at 10:12.

I've used my Nitecore20000 several times and haven't had your experience. I have no idea why.

Works perfectly on both of my Ankers. Tops up without timing out and then stops charging. YMMV.

I'll add this thi the given Powerbank thread:

After having heard about the good reputation of Anker products, I bought a PowerCore+ 10.000mAh in 2017.

Now as I'm preparing for a longish trip in non inhabited areas I'm doing extansive tests of all my stuff, including the electronics.
    It turned out that said Anker Powercore does behave strange, like it charges my smartphone (an old Sony with 2600mAh battery) just one time to ~90% and then the powerbank switches off, pretending it being empty.
    It used to charge said Sony 3-4times in the older days.

It seems that even high-quality products, like Anker seems to be, don't live forever.
    I ordered another Anker, 20.000mAh.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++