WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Current (2021) bivy options on the market

For a few years, I've been pleased with the TiGoat Ptarmigan bivy. Recently a couple of people have asked for recommendations, and I no longer know what's really comparable on the market. There are things like the MLD Superlight, but it's at a significantly higher price point ($175 vs about $100). What have you guys seen available that is lightweight (<8 ounces), waterproof bottom, and a very breathable/repellent top with bug mesh? I'm not against the MLD at all, but it would be nice to know what else is currently out there and I didn't come up with a clear answer in a quick search. This is to go with a tarp for splash and bug protection - not looking for a standalone waterproof bivy.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    What have you guys seen available that is lightweight (<8 ounces), waterproof bottom, and a very breathable/repellent top with bug mesh? ...This is to go with a tarp for splash and bug protection - not looking for a standalone waterproof bivy.
    Those were exactly my criteria and Mrs. Claus tucked one of these under the tree for Christmas. I wanted the side zip for easy entry/exit. Have camped indoor a couple of times with it and did a winter overnight in the back yard with a tarp and six+ inches of new snow as I slept in my quilt. Previously was using an REI Minimalist Bivy and was looking to shed a little weight and bulk. Owner was very responsive to my questions on sizing, etc. 6.2oz $108

https://borahgear.com/sidebivy.html

Wonderful - thanks for that!

I also physically looked at an REI Shell Bivy at a $100 pricepoint when at the store. Rolled it out and it just wasn't what I wanted. It did not have the side zipper so entry and exit would have been a hassle for me plus the weight was not as low. After receiving the Borah I am happy with my choice between those two.

My tigoat bivy has chest zip only and I'd prefer going back to a side zip. This really is pretty much exactly what I had in mind. Thanks again.

FYI, Katabatic Gear has the Bristlecone back on their site(now with Robic floor material, and a hang loop at the foot end), plus a new bivy, the Pinon, with larger mesh window.
    https://katabaticgear.com/collections/bivys

I don't know if the sizing is any different. I have the 5'6" model of the old version, and it's roomy enough for a 6' pad with plenty of room for stuff at the head.

Here's mine with a 6' Synmat HL M and 6' Wide Katabatic Palisade:
    1020379.jpg

Borah gear makes two styles with some options to slightly customize.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I've been eyeballing the enlightened equipment recon bivy for a long time: https://enlightenedequipment.com/recon-custom/

I'm not a huge bivy fan, but this combined with a small tarp would make a great option to bring if you chose to stay in a shelter most of the time, but wanted a light option for camping whenever you wanted to.

LOL - why would you need to 'stay in a shelter most of the time'?

Thanks for the link though. Another option to consider.

++ New Posts ++