WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Abhor may not be quite the right word, but they have.

There are at least two things widely used by hunters in bear country when one has to make multiple trips, often over a couple of days to carry out a large kill like a moose. But when backpacking, most of us don't want to carry a 1/2 lb of pepper to dump all over our tent before we pee on it and crawl in for safe night's sleep with our food.
    Yeah, that doesn’t sound practical or pleasant

Here is my rant with them......they don't seem to stock anything. Everything seems made to order and the leadtimes on their website are very optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    that was supposed to be a big grin!
    what happened to the emojis??
    Given the context, I thought :d meant “tongue in cheek”.

I met some folks in Tennessee whose tent was torn open by bears who smelled Snickers bars inside. Those same bears also defeated the food-bag hanging device at the shelter adjacent to where they had their tent. Smart, determined bears that weren't messing around. Everyone lost their food.

Journal Entries
    Images

What was it 5or 6 years ago the RTC had to put bear boxes towards MCcafees knoB and bear warnings are out it that area each year. The bears are not getting alot of food in Virginia. The acorns are down so bears are going after packs open food etc. ITvactually pays to talk to wildlife officers about the issues with bears in the area..In the past we hadnt really had an issue ..SO I will admit I did sleep with my food in my tent on a lash from Georgia to Harpers ferry. BUT thinking about it I could see the AT going to bear canister. It woul;dnt bother me.Point blank wildlife the woods is their home.I am just vacationing in it. SO if it protects the wildlife then should be manditory on the trail.
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    Too bad they havent found a scent that bears just abhor. Clearly from the bear in the privy story floating around, that must be a high bar.
    It seems some people think this is how bear spray works so they spay it on their gear or themselves. In fact the opposite is true. Bears are attracted to bear spray. It seems they like spicy food. It works because (as Tom Smith puts it, they don't like having it sprayed up their nose).

https://www.backpacker.com/survival/...ar-not-on-you/

I wondered where my post went. I think my rant was supposed to be posted on a different forum.

I used to always sleep with my food. I got pressured recently to hang. I did it properly. A pain. Then, I see the lousy job the peer pressure mommys did hanging their bags. Like 7 feet off the ground. I could reach it easily with my hand.

Packing out an elk is a lot of work but at least having a suitable rifle slung around is somewhat comforting especially when not alone.

I sleep with my spouse, you guys are weird.

I'm late to the party here, but here's my 2 cents: I know people (Iraq war vet) who ended up in the emergency room from trying to do a bear hang using a rock tied to a rope. The same couple also got their food stuck up in a bear hang, and got injured (wife riding on husband's shoulders) trying to reach the bag. Comedy of errors, and these were expert thru hikers. You may have similar experience if you try to hang on really suitable high limbs. I know I have. Yes I sleep with my food, without any problems. going on 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    . . . Comedy of errors, and these were expert thru hikers. You may have similar experience if you try to hang on really suitable high limbs. I know I have. Yes I sleep with my food, without any problems. going on 50 years.
    I don't think it's a one trick pony show. I do it all depending on the circumstances.

When required, I use bear canisters. When in open areas (i.e. no trees) with heavy bear populations and/or problem bears, I use bear canisters. When risk is moderate to moderately high and trees are available, I'll hang my food. Probably 80% of the time, which is in areas without problem bears or high bear densities, yeah, I sleep with my food and have done so for more than 50 years now. I have also slept with my food in areas of high bear density, but few bear/human interactions, when a bear was in site of my camp. I've never had problems with bears and my food. I have had problems with rodents, ants, and racoons in my food. . . knock on wood . . .
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Journal Entries

Used one last year. Too Heavy, takes up too much room IMO. Gonna go back to my Zpacks food bag this year, but I've practiced and will use the PCT method to hang it...
    Appalachian Trail completion 2022
    Georgia Loop 2022
    Benton Mackaye Trail 2023
    Foothills Trail 2023

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Like NSherry, my food storage depends on circumstance. Sometimes a canister, sometimes a hand, and working with an Ursack now. I've slept with my food in shelters on occasion, but in a mouse-proof pretzel jug.

Interesting perspective on the "bear problem": I've been following a handful of hikers on YouTube while waiting to get out myself. They all started quite early, well ahead of the bubble. Only one has seen a bear, and not until last week in New York. I'm sure it's a much different scenario if you start at Springer in April.

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    I sleep with my spouse, you guys are weird.
    Second best reply of the year. (The LASH post is still #1)

I’ve always slept with my food 3500 AT miles. Lost my food out west in sierras the only time I hung it. The key is to eat a mile or so before you camp. In a shelter I don’t believe a bear would come unless people are chomping food like crazy, cooking bacon etc., even then with the snoring rattling the rafters I think not...mice not bears.

knots in hanging, sticks and rocks bouncing off trees....entertaining mornings but somewhat hazardous.

There's only a few places on the AT where I'd be worried about sleeping with food. In those areas I'll just hang it on a tree (not pct style or from 10ft of lawson glow) where I can reach it. So far no problems. I prefer the bear canister approach for many reasons and there are now some compact versions that will hold 3-4 days of food in a 38L pack.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++