WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Yep, don't just leave it on the side of the trail when you tire of carrying it, like somebody did on the Laurel Highlands Trail. I don't know the full story, of course, so maybe it was accidentally dropped, but it doesn't seem like something that would go unnoticed...

Attachment 47389
    Thanks for sharing this pic of chairs and/or discarded chairs. It reminds me of my experiences---

TRIP 107 020-L.jpg
    Saw this one on Doublecamp Creek which somebody hauled out and left.

P1000308-XL.jpg
    Found this one on Panther Branch trail near Tellico River---a remote backpacking trail so someone had to carry it a long way.

TRIP 167 040-XL.jpg
    This mess was left on a hard to reach part of Snowbird Creek trail in NC. Obviously some backpackers like to haul out these kind of heavy chairs.

TRIP 167 317-XL.jpg
    Lighter lawn chairs are also favored and can be carried long distances strapped to the back of a pack. I found these scattered off the Mitchell Lick trail and I gathered them up out of the woods to pile next to the trail.

Trip 161 019-XL.jpg
    Here is a guy carrying a camp chair on the Benton MacKaye trail near Cold Spring Gap.

TRIP 160 343-XL.jpg
    Finally, this one got my attention---a guy carrying an actual lawn chair and passing thru Naked Ground Gap which is miles from any road.

There is a river water trail near me. 2 or 3 weeks after every memorial day I do a canoe trip and collect abandoned tents, broken chairs and trash. I wait 2-3 weeks to avoid the piles of human waste, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    If you think you should take a chair, by all means take one. When you get to Neels Gap, you can send it home.
    He didn't say he was thruhiking, not everyone is a thruhiker on this site.

Looking back at my old trip planners, I have carried a T-rest chair on every backpacking trip for the last 18 years, all up and down the AT, spring, summer, fall, and winter. I average 12-18 miles a day depending on season and my pack base weight for the summer is 15 lbs. This includes warm clothes as well as other "comfort" items such as a cup, camp shoes, trowel, collapsible bucket, and of course a chair.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Yep, don't just leave it on the side of the trail when you tire of carrying it, like somebody did on the Laurel Highlands Trail. I don't know the full story, of course, so maybe it was accidentally dropped, but it doesn't seem like something that would go unnoticed...

Attachment 47389
    Was that where it was when you saw it? Was there any other gear? I would posit that it was dropped. It's the kind of item that would get strapped on the outside of the pack for easy access. My T-rest chair rolls up but is long so sometimes it's on the inside and sometimes on the outside in a water bottle pocket. Since I don't use water bottles, I keep other items in those holders, including a small stuff sack. I know that stuff sack is slippery so anything in the water bottle pockets gets clipped with a small 'biner or tied. Someone hiking with earbuds wouldn't hear that drop for instance. Dumping just a hundred dollar chair that weighs only a pound isn't going to help much. Plus it is right on the trail.

I'm certainly not saying people should carry a chair nor I am saying it has be a Thermarest. The OP seemed very interested though in making a purchase so maybe product recommendations is what he is after? How does that go again...oh yeah HYOH.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

After more than 50 years of backpacking, this year I finally bought a Big Agnes collapsible chair because we were backpacking on the WA "Wilderness Coast". You spend a lot of time sitting looking at the ocean waves roll in. It was good. But I wouldn't carry it on a long distance mountain trail...

Quote Originally Posted by OhioHiker View Post
    . . . but everyone I talk to says the little legs sink into soft ground all the time. . .
    Sometimes that annoying. Most times it pretty manageable. If you are going to be in soft terrain much, you can get a cloth base along the lines of this that can help with the sinking problem.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

i use my bear can, serves two purposes.

I wanted to report back. I got a chair a few months ago and take it on all my backpacking trips.

It is so awesome!! It’s not for everyone.. but if you can take the 1lb hit and you are on the fence, Do It now!

With some practice I am getting faster setting it up. Fast enough I use it for on trail breaks.

Yea the legs sink in the ground, yea it’s kind of hard to get out of.

It is so nice to have a place to actually sit. Not to mention I flip it over in my vestibule and use the legs as drying racks for stuff over night. It also works as an amazing fan for puffing fires!

Chair zero is nice but it sinks in the mud. I put ping pong balls on each foot and it helps a lot.

My kids have cheap REI 3-legged stools and honestly they’re easier to use and I end up using the stool more than my chair zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A drying rack... that’s a great idea! I poo pooed chairs until I got a little arthritis, and then a Thermarest chair helped make me more comfortable in camp. Now my chair zero goes on all my trips. My arthritis does, too, so why shouldn’t my chair? The drying rack idea makes it multipurpose. :-)

This has a few issues like weighing 920grams but I think the concept could be developed, I sure like the height.
    Not going to stick my neck out and say I'm doin' it but between having a lathe, mill, 3D printer and HD CNC router, it should not be too big of a deal to develop a better version in Fusion 360(one can design the moving functions and test them virtually) using carbon fiber rods/shapes to save weight.
    I'm not seeing where the walking stick part is really practical but perhaps with the chair part as an add on it might be...

https://www.orchidfloyd.com/products...43xubn7hiDHfNA

BTW, I would advice caution with the link in my post above, its has that too good to be true feel to the website. I see there are many offerings of this general type, its not a new idea, so just be careful ordering online, scammers are flourishing especially on Facebook. So do your homework before giving someone your money.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Thanks for sharing this pic of chairs and/or discarded chairs. It reminds me of my experiences---
    Finally, this one got my attention---a guy carrying an actual lawn chair and passing thru Naked Ground Gap which is miles from any road.
    I used to cart one of those around, as well as a Coleman propane lantern with associated green propane tank. The chair weighed in at three pounds and the propane and lantern added another two or three pounds. These days I use a plastic sheet when the ground is wet (or covered in snow); otherwise I use the ground with a log or rock for a backrest if I am lucky.

I find the Chair Zero lighter and more comfortable than the Ground chair.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Fortunately this thread is not in Straight Forward so I can tout the beauty of using my pack as a "chair" in lazy-boy style when leaning back to rest. I do this many times a day during reststops. I've been accused of carrying too many items but a chair is not one of them.
    That was the trick Colin Fletcher used, with a staff to prop up the pack. I did the same until I went to a smaller internal frame pack. Now I use a sit pad and lean up against a rock, stump, or bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    That was the trick Colin Fletcher used, with a staff to prop up the pack. I did the same until I went to a smaller internal frame pack. Now I use a sit pad and lean up against a rock, stump, or bear.
    On my very last trip I once again used my pack as a lazy-boy chair and this time added the blue ccf pad for supreme comfort---I don't need a chair when camp is actually set up as the most comfy place for me then is laying atop my Trail Pro/ccf pad in supine mode with my head propped up to read or write---and relax.

My backpacking buddy Rob Bush has two backpacking chairs---a short and a long---

Here's the short in action.

Rob with his wife during a cold October rainstorm in Citico wilderness---both using chairs.

Rob's larger version of the same brand chair.

Chair in action with Patman nearby.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++