WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    LarWat
    Journal Entries

Default Are Gaiters Worth It?

Hi,
    I Have a pair of Oboz sawtooth low rises. I've never had gaiters before, but I could see wanting them after multiple days of the ATs infamous rain. What are the community recommendations and opinions?

Love my Zpacks Vertice knee high gaiters! In winter they keep my legs warm and dry.In summer I keep them treated with permethrin to turn ticks back and it also helps with protection from undergrowth scraping the legs etc.
    Oh,and they keep stuff off the socks and out of the shoes which is an added plus.They are also easier to get on and off than some others I used previously.I pair them with a kilt when it rains and it has worked fine so far.

I think people wear gaiters more for keeping debris out of their shoes like rocks,sticks and such. I've never worn summer gaiters but I have a pretty badarse pair for winter gaiters not sure the brand but they're knee high , velcro, warm,waterproof stay in place with strap and buckle system that goes under your hiking boots. I love them for snow and winter hiking.

Tall gaiters for rainy/muddy season (April/May), you'll stay a lot cleaner. Low riders for summer to keep the trail duff out of your shoes.

Every time I go out thinking " I won't need them" I end up buying them along the way so I have like six pair now
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

It really depends on what conditions are expected. For me, if I am going out with snow and ice on the trail I wear a mid-high to a full height boot with a full foot to knee Outdoor Research gaiters. I have yet to have issues with snow getting into the gaiter. For 3-season trail use I will typically use a low gaiter to keep trail detritus out of my trail shoes and stop the tearing of socks from huckleberry and briars that seem to enjoy being 5" above the ground and perfect for ankle misery.

Garlic
    Images

I only use gaiters in deep snow. I definitely don't like them in summer. I'd rather knock the dirt out of my shoes at breaks than mess with gaiters. I usually hike with long trousers, and maybe that helps keep stuff out of the shoes.

I use the Altra gaiters with Lone Peaks. I don't know how some people seem to do without, but I'd have to stop and clean out twigs and tiny pebbles every quarter mile if I didn't use gaiters.

In the winter I like a robust short gaiter. My favorite is OR Endurance so naturally they don't make them any more.

Depends on how much snow

thommy

I dont get them at all, Rather just have taller boots. I hate getting rocks in my shoes,, However havent had much luck in finding 8 inch boots I like that actually fit.

Always wear gaitors, Dirty Girl or Run Funky.. Keeps socks cleaner, less time wasted cleaning debris out of shoes. We use trail runner gaitors for long distance hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I only use gaiters in deep snow. I definitely don't like them in summer. I'd rather knock the dirt out of my shoes at breaks than mess with gaiters. I usually hike with long trousers, and maybe that helps keep stuff out of the shoes.
    Long pants help. If I have to go to shorts, that's when I have to start stopping every 1/2 mile to dislodge something from my shoe.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I wear dirty girl gaiters with my trail-runners. They do a nice job keeping out annoying debris. If winter hiking or hiking off-trail I use OR gaiters. Unless it's really cold I mostly hike in shorts, and they protect my lower legs from brush and brambles.

Also wear dirty girl gaiters with my trail-runners and shorts.

Attire is good for creek crossings, when some of the water is littered with debris. The gators do a decent job of keeping the crud out of my shoes.

Had to add some extra velcro to the dirty girls to keep the gators from coming loose.

Love my low gaiters. They keep snow n dirt from getting in my shoes as well as keep my anchles warm, trapping heat rising from my shoes.

I tried taller gaiters but they tend to fall down n also pinch my legs at the elastic band.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Not a fan really.. something else to keep up with. I get why people like them though.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Personal choice. I use them in winter snow, but if I wear them in the summer I'll have heat rash. Rather have dirty socks, and I'm ok with taking an occasional break to knock the pebbles out of my shoes.

I used to in the warmer seasons but found that they were too hot and softened up my feet from sweat. Trail runners often have mesh as well and the dirt gets in through there. For rocks and twigs and such I am a big fan of speed laces like on Salomon shoes. Encourages me to actually take them off in the sun too and let the feet and socks dry out.

I'll wear them in the winter though where I find they work better than the cuff on shell pants in snow.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

You specifically asked about rain. On the AT for cooler shoulder season weather with mixed transitional conditions - one day it rains, next it snows, next it sleets, then it's cold rain again, next it's %%*, I wear them over low or mid cut trail runners but under rain pants or Schoeller Dryskin fabric pants treated with Nanosphere. They are highly mud and WR. I sometimes use these pants during cool season canyoneering in AZ, UT, NM and CO. The WP gaiters I like using are ZP Ankle Vertice and MLD eVent Superlight gaiters. WR gaiters I use Simblissity's Durastretch Leva Gaiters. I may use WP or likely non WP low cuts. I may use WP socks or not. The idea with WP socks is tio kepp feet dry rtahre than being probe to trench foot, etc. But the fall back scenario is wet but warm if the WP socks fail to keep feet bone dry. So, the answer is YES I see them as warranted in this foot layering rain, sleet, and slush repelling scenario. In summer on teh AT I dont use gaiters for debris unless I dig out Dirty Girl's which are only lycra debris gaiters that have high breathability compared to my other choices.

Quote Originally Posted by sam1000000 View Post
    Hi,
    I Have a pair of Oboz sawtooth low rises. I've never had gaiters before, but I could see wanting them after multiple days of the ATs infamous rain. What are the community recommendations and opinions?
    I wouldn't use gaiters for rain on the AT; your feet are going to get wet anyway. I do think that some light, very breathable gaiters like Dirty Girl are extremely useful in keep crud out of your shoes, especially if you wear trail runners and not boots. Without gaiters I end up removing my shoes multiple times a day to clear out the crud. That gets old.

Images

Don’t care for them. Started out in 06 with them, sent them home first thing. To each his/her own

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++