WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Images

The only things I could do (aside of some eating) was reading.
    The only Kindle book I had downloaded to the phone was "Black Hawk down".
    So I spent the whole day crammed inside the tent reading this dreadful war story.
    That basically cured me a bit from unders
    tanding the smartphone as a entertainment.

all of my solo trips, i always take a magazine or two, along with a book.....

just sit around reading all night while tending the fire.....

but, i also do a ton of reading at home....

it's part of my daily routine and all that...

and while the subject of the book is not very pleasant----"black hawk down" was a great read.......

ive read a couple others by the same author as a result........all were good...

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    The benefits meditation are well established. Many envision this requires a state of sedentary focus. But it has also been shown that these benefits can be accomplished through repetitive physical activity, such as walking. Perhaps you've seen a medetation labarynth. A twisted pathway in a peaceful environment you follow to facilitate active meditation. Stretch that out to be a linear path in a green tunnel, you have the same effect.
    I would have to say I was calm and my hike was great.Rather be outdoors than stuck inside any day
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

I never get bored while hiking, at least not for long. Usually it's the complete opposite. It when I feel the most alive. I've found talking to myself helps. Though this has lead to many awkward encounters while hiking as sometimes people hear me doing it. Yeah I'm weird.

Rarely bored but often worn out and exhausted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m rarely bored when hiking solo which means you are alone with your thoughts for hours at a time. When the scenery is not novel or changing, then you retreat into your mind. What’s important is to be comfortable with spending long periods of time with yourself. For me (not everyone) I have found that if my life is not generally in order and going reasonably well, I cannot enjoy backpacking. Off trail life doesn’t need to be perfect (nothing ever is) for me to enjoy a trip but if things are in disarray, the solo time, especially in less varied terrain, becomes a rehash of my problems. Not fun. I’ve ended a few trips due to that reason. There are few distractions in the woods. The real world has distractions aplenty. A troubled mind seeks out distractions.

I met a hiker coming the opposite direction and I stopped to ask him a question. I realized he didn’t hear me as he was pulling his headphones out to converse. He said, “sorry, I’m listening to music so I don’t have to think of my f#$%ing ex girlfriend.” I don’t believe his strategy was working.

At home, I am rarely disconnected, always have music or a podcast or something going. On the trail, nothing, just quiet or the sound of the breeze, the patter of rain, it is so awesome. Never boring for whatever reason.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by globetruck View Post
    Rarely bored but often worn out and exhausted.
    Exactly... maybe an age thing for me, but there is a time of day range in the early/mid afternoon that my body gets lethargic no matter what my hiking speed/terrain/effort is, so many days if alone I do break down and listen to an audio book for a couple hours or so if the trail is rather bland at the time, and just hike through this "down" period which goes away in a couple/few hours. The distraction of listening to a trash-novel (like a Jack reacher or a Bosch, whatever) really helps power through this down time.

Just me, I'm not being judgmental, but whenever I come up on another hiker, I quickly pull out the ear bud jack (which pauses the book) as I personally think it's a bit crass to ignore fellow hikers.

Thankfully, for myself, I feel zero need for any internet use whatsoever when on a hiking trail, unless booking something at a town stop or checking weather.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I’m rarely bored when hiking solo which means you are alone with your thoughts for hours at a time. When the scenery is not novel or changing, then you retreat into your mind. What’s important is to be comfortable with spending long periods of time with yourself. For me (not everyone) I have found that if my life is not generally in order and going reasonably well, I cannot enjoy backpacking. Off trail life doesn’t need to be perfect (nothing ever is) for me to enjoy a trip but if things are in disarray, the solo time, especially in less varied terrain, becomes a rehash of my problems. Not fun. I’ve ended a few trips due to that reason. There are few distractions in the woods. The real world has distractions aplenty. A troubled mind seeks out distractions.
    I'm the opposite. When things are going well I keep on keeping on. When things are not going well I seek some time alone on the trail.
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    I'm the opposite. When things are going well I keep on keeping on. When things are not going well I seek some time alone on the trail.
    I’ve met many people who are on long thru hikes for that reason.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I have found that if my life is not generally in order and going reasonably well, I cannot enjoy backpacking. .

this is what has prompted my hiatus of the last couple of years...

lots of adult-ing the last 5 or so years has thrown me for a loop and went into a hiatus of backpacking
    and other things....

even listening to music has been a drag the last few years.........

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++