WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User Nolan "Guido" Jordan's Avatar

Default Ursack (Jarrard Gap to Neel Gap & SNP)

I start my thru-hike NoBo in just a few weeks. I'm planning to get a Ursack as my every day (night) food bag. The FAQ on the Ursack website says that most national parks and forest services approve of this bag as an alternative to hard-sided bear-proof canisters. They even have a map of the national parks that approved Ursacks and the ones that haven't.

All of the other threads about Ursacks haven't been updated in several years, so I'm wondering especially about the section in Georgia between Jarrard Gap and Neels Gap if they would accept Ursacks as an alternative to hard-sided canisters. I know they were very restrictive about it in that section a few years ago when my friend thru-hiked it, so I'm just wondering if they've eased up at all since then. Also, the map says that SNP hasn't approved Ursacks, but I don't think I should worry about that because they don't require canisters. Any info on the Georgia section though?

Images

a google search brought up this webpage saying a bag is not a substitute for a canister....

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/conf/...STELPRD3830815

since its a short stretch, most people just hike through it...

Woods Hole shelter has a bear box.

The Ursack or products like that are approved. But it's not a big deal. Just stop at Jarrard Gap (the last stop before the restriction) and from there it's an easy hike to Neel Gap where you're out of the restriction area. So you don't really need the cannister if you set up your stops so that you don't stay in that five or seven mile (or whatever it is) stretch between Jarrard and Neel. If you're planning on sleeping at Blood Mtn or something, then you're going to have to get creative.

Quote Originally Posted by mclaught View Post
    The Ursack or products like that are approved. But it's not a big deal. Just stop at Jarrard Gap (the last stop before the restriction) and from there it's an easy hike to Neel Gap where you're out of the restriction area. So you don't really need the cannister if you set up your stops so that you don't stay in that five or seven mile (or whatever it is) stretch between Jarrard and Neel. If you're planning on sleeping at Blood Mtn or something, then you're going to have to get creative.
    Is there not an edit function on this site???? I meant the Ursack is NOT approved....

I bought an Ursack that I have never used because the National Park Service (specifically Olympic Nat Park) does not allow them. You have to use an approved bear canister. FWIW

I have an Ursack and used on the Colorado Trail last year. My confidence with it was not very high after a CT hiker posted a picture of an Ursack, which had been shredded by a bear. Facebook Post There was another report somewhere else. Better keep an eye on that bag.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    I have an Ursack and used on the Colorado Trail last year. My confidence with it was not very high after a CT hiker posted a picture of an Ursack, which had been shredded by a bear. Facebook Post There was another report somewhere else. Better keep an eye on that bag.
    I remember when all this news broke about the ripped up Ursak.It turns out that Ursacks made after a certain date have a tag in them etc and they are a more durable material as I recall and much more resistant to the bear.The company also makes a metal liner that goes in the sack which weighs about 10 oz and will boost the bag weight up to about 19 oz. total.

This 19 oz of weight gives me pretty good protection and I carry it because I make the Ursak double as a stool;thereby getting a bit of a "twofer" out of the system.However,I do use two sit pads on top of the bag to keep the liner from getting too uncomfortable to use.It's not total creature comfort by any means but works fine for the few minutes it takes to fix a meal or have some coffee in the morning.I note that the ubiquitous Stansport folding stool that is popular with lots of backpackers weighs 17 oz but it will not double as a food bag like my Ursack does.

Best of all,I can load it horizontally in my ULA CDT pack or strap it on top if the pack is maxed out with my winter set up.I am pretty sure that the Ursak that got all ripped up and publicized was one of the first generation models.

Just camp at the last campsite prior to Jarrad Gap (Lance Creek?), then hike into Neels the next day. It's a big campsite and can accommodate all the hikers with the same idea!
    It is what it is.

Registered User Nolan "Guido" Jordan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I remember when all this news broke about the ripped up Ursak.It turns out that Ursacks made after a certain date have a tag in them etc and they are a more durable material as I recall and much more resistant to the bear.The company also makes a metal liner that goes in the sack which weighs about 10 oz and will boost the bag weight up to about 19 oz. total.

This 19 oz of weight gives me pretty good protection and I carry it because I make the Ursak double as a stool;thereby getting a bit of a "twofer" out of the system.However,I do use two sit pads on top of the bag to keep the liner from getting too uncomfortable to use.It's not total creature comfort by any means but works fine for the few minutes it takes to fix a meal or have some coffee in the morning.I note that the ubiquitous Stansport folding stool that is popular with lots of backpackers weighs 17 oz but it will not double as a food bag like my Ursack does.

Best of all,I can load it horizontally in my ULA CDT pack or strap it on top if the pack is maxed out with my winter set up.I am pretty sure that the Ursak that got all ripped up and publicized was one of the first generation models.
    I'm using my ULA Circuit for this trip. I think the 10 liters Ursack would fit just nicely inside there

Leonidas

We had a ridgerunner check to make sure we had a canister last year. We passed her on the way to Jarred Gap. I always carry the Bearikade Blazer these days, I had enough room to put my buddies food in there as well. Bear canister is the rule, Ursacks are not approved as far as I am aware.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    We had a ridgerunner check to make sure we had a canister last year. We passed her on the way to Jarred Gap. I always carry the Bearikade Blazer these days, I had enough room to put my buddies food in there as well. Bear canister is the rule, Ursacks are not approved as far as I am aware.
    You are correct-Ursack is not approved as a bear canister which is why one should not carry it where canisters are required.BUT,in areas where canisters are not required it gives you great protection and convenience unless you just love hunting the perfect limb and throwing lines when you camp.I really don't like bear bagging.And it makes an acceptable stool if you have a good pad....

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    You are correct-Ursack is not approved as a bear canister which is why one should not carry it where canisters are required.BUT,in areas where canisters are not required it gives you great protection and convenience unless you just love hunting the perfect limb and throwing lines when you camp.I really don't like bear bagging.And it makes an acceptable stool if you have a good pad....
    I'm with you on the dislike of bear bagging. Funny enough, I was asked last year to teach a group of late teen/early 20 something guys how to bear hang by their dad when I was on the AT.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

Where were you when you were asked if you had a canister? North bound? Where did you plan on camping? It's not required unless you ARE OVERNIGHTING BETWEEN Jarrard Gap and before Neel gap. It's not required for simply hiking thru.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I BELIEVE that Jarrard Gap is the southernmost spot that you camp at without a cannister. We camped there and that left a 7 or so mile hike to get through the restriction zone. Someone mentioned Lance Creek, but Jarrard Gap was a great place to tent camp and I hope we were correctly informed that it was OK to camp there (but no farther north) without a cannister. Unfortunately, my biggest memory of Jarrard Gap is the turd and TP that someone left directly on top of the piped spring.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    Where were you when you were asked if you had a canister? North bound? Where did you plan on camping? It's not required unless you ARE OVERNIGHTING BETWEEN Jarrard Gap and before Neel gap. It's not required for simply hiking thru.
    We were passing Lance Creek as there were 25-30 people already setup there. Ridgerunner stopped us right before the turn off to the tent sites. We were going to Jarrard Gap, which based on the signage there and through Neel Gap, a bear canister is required to camp. Not that that matters as I always carry a canister, hanging a bag or sleeping with my food are both annoying in their own way and I prefer the 2 pounds of the canister.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

We were going to Jarrard Gap, which based on the signage there and through Neel Gap, a bear canister is required to camp.
    The Georgia-AT.org website says you can camp at Jarrad Gap, but not north of it.

"There is a USFS requirement to use a rigid bear canister if overnighting between Jarrard Gap and Neel Gap, between March 1 and June 1 each year. Northbound there is camping at Lance Creek and Jarrard Gap. Southbound there is camping before reaching Neel Gap. See www.fs.usda/detail/conf/news-events for additional information." The FS official language says no camping "between Jarrard Gap and Neel Gap" without a canister. So I guess it depends on who is interpreting what the word "between" includes.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5351875.pdf

Images

When your ursack gets drenched during the evening storm while hanging on a tree, do you just wipe it off in the morning and stuff it into your backpack or do you hang it on the outside of your pack?

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    When your ursack gets drenched during the evening storm while hanging on a tree, do you just wipe it off in the morning and stuff it into your backpack or do you hang it on the outside of your pack?
    I haven't found that my Ursack Major XL absorbs much water. I remove the inner bag (ziplock Opsak) and dry that off and give the Ursack a good shake. It dries fast.

[According to the manufacturer: the Major is NOT waterproof, but the fabric will not absorb water; the AllMitey is waterproof.]

I had the same concern about my Ursack, but agree that it really doesn't get as wet as you'd think. It gets wet, but not soaked.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++