WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

As far as oatmeal - I've only done it a few times so far, but throwing Nido powder with rolled oats (doesn't need to be the quick variety) and your preferred combination of brown sugar, fruits, nuts, etc) into a bag before you go to bed generates a delicious serving of overnight oatmeal for breakfast. I need to test this with steel cut to see how that behaves.

I've learned a lot from this thread - plenty to chew over (no pun intended). Thank you all for lots of good thoughts.

I think I'll definitely go stoveless my next summer trip; if I head to VA in April or May, I think I'll carry the stove.

BTW, One year I met some stoveless Northbound folks who had their ziplock bags full of Captain Crunch and Cocoa Puffs with Nido for breakfast. At that point they usually have plenty of pack volume available due to summer weather and they admitted that they all just trying to mix things up for the last few weeks on the trail. One thru was unhappy that he could not get Count Chocula

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    As far as oatmeal - I've only done it a few times so far, but throwing Nido powder with rolled oats (doesn't need to be the quick variety) and your preferred combination of brown sugar, fruits, nuts, etc) into a bag before you go to bed generates a delicious serving of overnight oatmeal for breakfast. I need to test this with steel cut to see how that behaves.
    Sounds interesting.Are you adding water to let it soak all night?If so,how much?

Yes, good catch. I meant to say add water to all that before going to bed. All the dry ingredients are packed before I go out the door.

I honestly don't remember how much water. Enough to roughly match what the oats would have required if you'd just cooked it at home though.

That does sound good. I eat Bob's Red Mill Muesli with Nido, but prepared hot in the morning. I should give the overnight soak a try.... I could still heat it if desired.

if it works for you, it's your hike. I occasionally don't mind actually cooking in the woods but I have simplified meals a long time ago by dehydrating my own meals. Garlic08 covered the nutrition point, the individual is more of the factor there not the style of eating. As far as resupply, if I need a resupply I just send myself a resupply ahead of time. I may want to add fresh stuff to that from town but it's not required. Gambit there's not a lot of nutritious food in a gas station, maybe an apple or a banana buddy. Ok maybe some milk and juice but that won't last too long on the trail. A small gas station forget about it. If just an occasional gas station run you'll live but long term practice sodium is not really good for you. Resupply involves some planning ahead, it could be as simple as what type of groceries are available during one's hike of some length. Sure you will probably run into a gas station sooner than a Dollar General or mini-mart or grocery store but in general the mix of distances on these probably would come close to averaging out on the AT. Not to say there aren't stretches on other trails where there might not be anything on a long stretch. A lot of this has to do with one's personal resupply interval right (this is where TW will pop in). I've gotten kind of lazy over the years and I like to pop into town to see what thrus experience so I have sent myself a food box as soon as every 3 days if it's an easy pickup. Also if I am in town I am getting a meal or two and a beer and maybe a four or six pack of cans LOL. Now you can get some pretty good beer in gas stations so that's about equal, ice cream and a cold soda too. OK I have good meals in my food box, dehydrated veggies and proteins and will leave town with a few fresh items if available.

If you are flying somewhere, there's bound to be a Walmart somewhere nearby (white gas or canister) or a hardware store (alcohol). I have a titanium woodstove but honestly that takes more time than lighting a canister stove. It could eat up a little time to get one of the first three but in normal times there's Uber. You just flew to go hiking so you're on vacation a few extra bucks for a local ride no biggie.

Just a different perspective if you are happy with your system that's what matters.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Leonidas

I have cold soaked since 2016. I have started carrying a stove though for certain trips. After a 16 degree morning on the Pinhoti in November of 2019, I decided a stove and fuel might just be worth the weight. I used it for the first time on the AT in March of last year right before Covid went full crazy. I carried it this year on the BMT as well as I was expecting cold temps. Turns out, hot food after a long, cold and wet day is really nice to have. Granted I eat the same thing I was cold soaking: a scoop of whey protien, a scoop of Endurance Fuel(electrolytes made by Tailwind Nutrition), and two packets of instant oats. I still eat peanut butter out of a squeeze pack and occasionally bring some cookies or some type of fruit bar for dessert at night.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

I might give cold soaked oatmeal a try.Anyone ever do instant grits that way?

My favorite meal is Knorr's Spanish Rice.I add some dehydrated pineapple chunks to it before adding boiling water.
    The only down side is it takes about 15 minutes for it to cook in the bag but it makes a pretty good meal and is cheap by comparison to the big name brands.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I might give cold soaked oatmeal a try.Anyone ever do instant grits that way?...
    If you use rolled oats, they're already parboiled in processing and no further cooking or soaking is needed. I've tried soaking steel cut oats and instant grits overnight and to me neither is edible.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

No coffee, no poopie. Must have stovie.

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    No coffee, no poopie. Must have stovie.

Thanks for sharing Hank! LOL
    Been there, done that.

I use a stove and freeze dry my own meals. Which is causing a bit of consternation as we are going mobile in less than 5 months and there is NO room for the freeze dryer in the bus and even running it while my husband is trying to work would be impossible. And since these meals make our backpacking possible, well, we are working on a solution.

I suppose I could dry soak my meals. I never thought about it until today for the meals I make. I may just give it a try at some point.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    If you use rolled oats, they're already parboiled in processing and no further cooking or soaking is needed. I've tried soaking steel cut oats and instant grits overnight and to me neither is edible.

Thanks Garlic.I have thot about being stoveless but I really enjoy a hot drink first thing and last thing so it's mostly a moot point.However,I do like to have food that requires no cooking for when you just don't feel like dealing with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++