LarWat
    Journal Entries

Default Ladies Hiking Gloves

Hi! I'm looking for some waterproof gloves for backpacking. I have smaller hands I guess - about 6 inches from the base of my palm to the tip of my middle finger. I don't want something too bulky and honestly having excess space at the ends of my fingers drives me crazy. Does anyone have any suggestions?

FWIW - You may find paddling gloves to be very useful in three seasons (spring-fall). I discovered these some years ago when scrambling around in the White Mountains and needing gloves with a bit of padding in the palm to move over rocks and other very rough surfaces, but not wanting to suffer heat build up that full fingered gloves generate in summer heat and having to put them on, remove them constantly with changing conditions.

Paddle gloves are not waterproof, but their construction is nylon that wicks sweat and precipitation and dries quickly. For paddling they have a heavy fabric padding in the palms that also dries quickly. I have the opposite problem as you, most gloves do not fit my fingers well and are too short so the half finger construction allows me to wear them pretty much all the time in spring, summer, and fall to prevent blisters from trekking poles, provide warmth down to about 35-degrees, and hand protection from rocks.

Though I have a very old pair of NRS open fingered paddling gloves, the Kokatat gloves at REI are pretty close to what I use and have been very happy with. You may find the closed fingered gloves by NRS to be useful for winter if necessary. I swear by these things!

You might consider using several pairs for a layering system. A cheap pair of stretchy gloves, the kind that come 3 in a pack at the grocery store, paired with a waterproof shell mitten.

Would this be for three season use (not winter)? Any particular reason for waterproof? I typically have some kind of glove/mitten most of the time, ranging from a thin fleece to waterproof mittens. I don't go waterproof though until low temps with rain as the fleece gloves I use keep my hands warm and dry sufficiently in camp. Just trying to nail down some extra specs. Waterproof gloves tend to be oriented to the winter and can be bulky unless it is a layered system.

Your hand size looks to be considered XS for women in these shell mitts that could be layered over a liner glove for instance if that might work. They are on sale.

https://www.rei.com/product/136770/r...st-gtx-mittens

Maybe youth sizing would work for you as another option. These aren't waterproof though just not bulky but could potentially fit under the mitt shells. Size XL here.
    https://www.rei.com/product/137517/r...ce-gloves-kids
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

LarWat
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Would this be for three season use (not winter)? Any particular reason for waterproof? I typically have some kind of glove/mitten most of the time, ranging from a thin fleece to waterproof mittens. I don't go waterproof though until low temps with rain as the fleece gloves I use keep my hands warm and dry sufficiently in camp. Just trying to nail down some extra specs. Waterproof gloves tend to be oriented to the winter and can be bulky unless it is a layered system.

Your hand size looks to be considered XS for women in these shell mitts that could be layered over a liner glove for instance if that might work. They are on sale.

https://www.rei.com/product/136770/r...st-gtx-mittens

Maybe youth sizing would work for you as another option. These aren't waterproof though just not bulky but could potentially fit under the mitt shells. Size XL here.
    https://www.rei.com/product/137517/r...ce-gloves-kids
    Yeah, I would probably just use them as 3 season. I'm going SOBO on the AT and was thinking waterproof to keep my hands dry and warm when there's a few consecutive days of rain in the fall. I hadn't thought of youth sizes. Thank you!

LarWat
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    FWIW - You may find paddling gloves to be very useful in three seasons (spring-fall). I discovered these some years ago when scrambling around in the White Mountains and needing gloves with a bit of padding in the palm to move over rocks and other very rough surfaces, but not wanting to suffer heat build up that full fingered gloves generate in summer heat and having to put them on, remove them constantly with changing conditions.

Paddle gloves are not waterproof, but their construction is nylon that wicks sweat and precipitation and dries quickly. For paddling they have a heavy fabric padding in the palms that also dries quickly. I have the opposite problem as you, most gloves do not fit my fingers well and are too short so the half finger construction allows me to wear them pretty much all the time in spring, summer, and fall to prevent blisters from trekking poles, provide warmth down to about 35-degrees, and hand protection from rocks.

Though I have a very old pair of NRS open fingered paddling gloves, the Kokatat gloves at REI are pretty close to what I use and have been very happy with. You may find the closed fingered gloves by NRS to be useful for winter if necessary. I swear by these things!
    Ooh I had been looking a little at biking gloves but hadn't thought about paddling! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sam1000000 View Post
    Hi! I'm looking for some waterproof gloves for backpacking. I have smaller hands I guess - about 6 inches from the base of my palm to the tip of my middle finger. I don't want something too bulky and honestly having excess space at the ends of my fingers drives me crazy. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Have you considered Dexshell? I have small hands as well and also do not like having extra space. These are warm enough for 3 season. When I am extra cold and not needing the the waterproof aspect, I can top them with socks.

I purchased some fleece mittens off Amazon that let you expose the fingers when needed and paired them with waterproof shell covers which weigh almost nothing and stay in the pocket of my rain jacket.These mitts fold back and stay put with a magnet so they work fine when you need to do chores without having to take them off.They are Not waterproof;hence the shells.

I just got a pair of Opossum down gloves. Ive heard good things about their wet performance, haven't tried them out yet. I plan to pair them with good ol' dishwashing type rubber gloves.

I also wear fleece gloves and waterproof mittens. I've found the mitts are often more waterproof than gloves (probably less seams).

Pick up ski gloves. They are the best gloves that I ever used.

++ New Posts ++