WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries
    Images

It sure feels good to have clean sleeping clothes. A little wash up and clean clothes sure helped me to sleep better.
    Grampie-N->2001

It is personal as you can see from the responses. Do what makes you happy is usually the best answer.

To me, one of the best parts of making camp is peeling off the trail clothes, drying off my pelt and putting on camp clothes. Thin wool shirt and fleece pants treated with permethrin and I'm protected from bugs and sun, but not salt encrusted while enjoying my bagged cuisine. Rain or sweat, wet clothes are fine on trail, but suddenly seem to suck when you stop. The dry feeling the camp clothes bring is an important part of mentally recovering just like chocolate for the legs
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

The only dedicated town/sleeping clothes item I brought was a long-sleeve grey nylon button-down shirt from REI.

Ha! That reminds me of the laundromat owner in Kent, Connecticut who had a similar sign a few years ago. I had a chat with her while doing laundry and she told a story about being out-of-state, checking her security cam and seeing naked people running around her laundromat. She pretended to be upset but I think she actually got a kick out of it.

Clarification: I wore that long-sleeved shirt plenty of times on the trail; it wasn't just for town.

IMO, sleep/town clothes are only worth it if you are on an extended trip (backpacking/thruhiking) or if the temperatures are cold and/or wet. More so, on on the east coast USA where humidity will not allow clothing to dry overnight.

This applies to me also. Lots of ways to do it. When I stop for the night my hiking clothes are always sweaty, in the humid southeast in the summer that can be dripping wet. Always good to wipe down (if not too cold) and put on my sleeping clothes. Makes me feel like a human being again and keeps my bag much cleaner. Sometimes I rinse out my hiking shirt and shorts. In the west they probably dry out, on the AT, nothing dries out at night. The thought of putting on that wet, stinky shirt each morning is always worse than it actually is. That stuff is fine after you put your pack on, and is dry after 30 minutes. Of course it is sweaty again after 90 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by h. hastings View Post
    Carry one set to hike in, one set to sleep in and an extra pair of lightweight shorts for doing laundry in (wear my rain shell top). In the summer it's nice to wipe down at the end of the day and put something else on. I would also often rinse the sweat out of my hiking shirt and hang it to dry overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by searust View Post
    I hike in shorts and a button down shirt, I always carry 3 pairs of socks and another pair of underwear, shirt and shorts. So basically I have 2 sets of hiking clothes and multiple pairs of socks. To that I will add a merino top and or a pair of merino long johns. And then a rain jacket and or a puffy. It's all about warmth, and layers.
    I am a section hiker, so the kit may be slightly different.
    -2 hiking zipoff leg pants
    -2 poly sleeveless shirts
    -3 hiking socks
    - Rain top
    - Rain pants
    - 1 long sleeve poly shirt
    - 1 long sleeve light wool shirt (camp warmth)
    I try to keep one pants clean, 1 pr socks and the long sleeve poly clean for town/shuttle/etc
    If cold at night the rain gear works also.
    I am starting to fly to/from sections so they also work for the plane!
    Lastly, my extra close stuff sack doubles as my pillow . . . all fits in a 65 liter Gregory pack.

Town clothes, no. Sleep clothes, yes. You want a pair of dry clothes to sleep in when you get to camp just in case you get wet. I don't wear them unless I am wet, I just sleep in my hiking clothes.

Journal Entries

I agree. I used to sleep naked in my sleeping bag at night and hang my clothing on the clothesline in the Timberline tent. But went back to wearing something since sweat and body oils mess the bag up. A little too much info?

Images

Capaline inner layer

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Dedicated sleep clothes - Yes
    Dedicated town clothes - No
    100%. If you are thru hiking the AT, you will almost certainly have a string or two of wet weather. Dry sleep clothes a must.

Towards the end of my SOBO, I added a second set of sleep clothes(base layers) instead of upping my light weight quilt. Figured it would let me risk using one set during the day on a cold start. I wore both sets most nights in Oct, worked well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Dedicated sleep clothes - Yes
    Dedicated town clothes - No
    ^^^^This^^^^

Yes on sleep clothes. I sweat too much in the summer to not want something dry and unstinked for sleeping, and I like having a dry set of clothes in winter also.
    No on town clothes
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++