WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Images

In the extensive thread on HX pots, I sent Roger 2 pots, one of them I removed the fins and it's protective rim. I expected him to report back to the forum with his results but he never did. He created a pay to view article for BPL and never gave a thiought to add a comment in the thread to verify the 30% fuel savings using the HX pots.

Read the info on a post I made regarding the boil of 2 cups using 2 grams of fuel with the Etekcity stove and HX pot.

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/.../#post-3599999

and this one: https://backpackinglight.com/forums/.../#post-3599489

Hmm... well I'm not surprised.

I'd argue that HX pots are typically at least 30% more efficient and up to 50% depending upon what HX pot is being compared to what regular pot. Very subjective.

But when you get down to measuring fuel consumption in the single-digit gram range you're going to need a better scale, down to about 0.01g accuracy. Mine is 0.1g and is IMO merely adequate.

Images

It's a good thing I'm a wood stove kinda guy so says my avatar :-)

This is the Inferno pot with skirt that I claimed 2 grams of fuel used with the Etekcity stove. Stove was run at 1/2 power. As far as I know, all jetboils have regulators that govern the gas flow at medium power:

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I'd argue that HX pots are typically at least 30% more efficient and up to 50% depending upon what HX pot is being compared to what regular pot. Very subjective.
    But when you get down to measuring fuel consumption in the single-digit gram range you're going to need a better scale, down to about 0.01g accuracy. Mine is 0.1g and is IMO merely adequate.
    Olicamp makes what appears to be identical pots. One with the HX and one without. There would be the ideal model for testing the effectiveness of the HX. Being a chemistry prof, I have access to scales with mg (0.001 g) precision. Maybe someday I will go to the lab some weekend and do some tests.

Now that would be a very informative test!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Olicamp makes what appears to be identical pots. One with the HX and one without. There would be the ideal model for testing the effectiveness of the HX. Being a chemistry prof, I have access to scales with mg (0.001 g) precision. Maybe someday I will go to the lab some weekend and do some tests.
    I want to accurately measure canister fuel usage(.010gr). What scale do you recommend that is within reason money wise?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post

What brand name is yours? I need a good scale to begin testing of the Inferno that gets a boil with 2 grams fuel. Screenshot 2022-03-27 3.24.37 PM.png

Here's the scale I've been using for a few years: https://tinyurl.com/ycxk6mf7

If you're getting a full boil (1 cup... 2 cups?) from 2g of any fuel you've got a world beater!

Images

Thank you for the link. I used my usps postal scale that has weight by grams feature.

usps scale.jpg

I did 2 tests with it using 2 cups tap water and started with a full canister of fuel.

I'm eager to begin testing again. I'm going out of the stove business and will have much more time to experiment and design new stuff just for the fun of it. Too many distractions came about when I 1st experienced the 2 gram boil. I had the BPL thread compromised by someone and lost interest in sharing more. Onward!

I got a Stash to try it and find with the efficiency I can almost double the days I can cook with just one small canister. For trips of 4-5 days, its perfect for me when using a canister system.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++