WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Traction Devices Needed for Roan in Winter?

Though I've hiked the Roan Highlands twice in the fall, I am planning my first winter trip (from Carver's Gap to 19E) for this February. I imagine it varies somewhat based on recent/current weather, but are traction devices like microspikes or Yaktrax likely to be needed/advisable? Is there anywhere besides Guthook where I could get reports on current conditions? Any other tips for winter backpacking in the Roan Highlands? Thanks!

The usual scenario is a coastal rain storm moves through, pushed out by an artic cold front. Not uncommon for that time of year. That can result in a lot of heavy snow or ice depending on exactly how everything matches up. But you won't know until it happens. You can get a pretty good idea if it will happen while your out there about a week in advance. You just have to watch the weather reports for the area. Lots of apps for that.

But as the saying goes, better to have and not need, then to need and not have.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

If there's a doubt, there is no doubt.

Was just in Roan Highlands last week. Plenty of snow. Trail was packed down mostly. Trail runners were mostly fine but saw 2 guys wearing microspikes. Doing Newfound Gap to Standing Bear in 2 weeks, bought a pair of Hillsound ultra crampons just in case

I have gotten caught with my pants down in the Roan highland area one December. I only looked at the Roan Mountain, TN forecast. Night 1 I cowboy camped on top of Roan High Knob....Night 2 at the barn we got a foot of snow. Only having trail runners and worried about my car being parked at Carvers gap with more snow coming in, I bailed on the trip and got picked up at overmountain trailhead. A friend I made on that trip continued to 19e. It took him a little over 13 hours to get from Overmountain to 19e. He said it was the most difficult hike he had ever done.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Thanks for all the tips! I've done several winter trips in the Grayson Highlands, one was the day after a blizzard dropped 2 feet of snow...sounds like this has the potential to be about the same! Had not even considered using my trail runners. My feet get cold easily, so I was planning on my insulated boots. 13 hours from Overmountain to 19E does sound like a must have been a struggle...

I hiked from 19E to Carver's Gap with a friend last winter. We had some snow at the time, but not much. It was between Overmountain and Carver's Gap that we needed microspikes, as you're hiking in a rut for a while, and it can be ice over rock. Going the other way, towards 19E, there's a rocky section on the other side of Big Hump, approaching Doll Flats, where they might come in handy, too. Only hiked it that once, so don't know what it would be like under a different set of conditions.

We intentionally camped on Big Hump to play with our shelters, and had teens to 30s with 40mph winds. Had a grand time, but the one little group we met before Big Hump, that was going the other way, were quite a bit less enthused about the weather

I'd also suggest that if you need traction assist get the Microspikes, *not* YakTrax, which have absolutely no grip on even slightly hard ice and are damaged very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I'd also suggest that if you need traction assist get the Microspikes, *not* YakTrax, which have absolutely no grip on even slightly hard ice and are damaged very easily.
    Microspikes? Explain please. Brand? Model? I’m shopping. Dick’s Sporting Goods Winston Salem is my closest source to see before I buy. They stock Hillsound products.
    Any shopping advice is greatly appreciated!
    Wayne

Kahtoola, although the Hillsound version is probably fine as well. There are some Amazon knockoffs that are garbage

IMHO is the best of bunch are Hillsound trail crampons. https://hillsound.com/collections/cr.../trail-crampon They offer several models including an almost identical version of the Kahtoolas but the trail crampons have better ice traction and just as importantly they have the velcro strap over the instep. It is very easy with Kahtoolas for them to hang down loose off the sole of the shoe. This makes it easy to get caught or stick to the snow and walk out of the crampon. It can sometimes take awhile to notice and its not unusual to find orphan kahtoolas sitting on trails and at trailheads. The velcro strap keeps the spikes tighter to the sole and also virtually eliminates stepping out of them inadvertently. At the end of the hike they just pull apart. I had a spare Hillsound strap and added it to my Kahtoolas and it works just as well. Its worth the extra couple of bucks.

I'm guessing traction has been and will be needed in the southern Appalachians this month!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    IMHO is the best of bunch are Hillsound trail crampons. https://hillsound.com/collections/cr.../trail-crampon They offer several models including an almost identical version of the Kahtoolas but the trail crampons have better ice traction and just as importantly they have the velcro strap over the instep. It is very easy with Kahtoolas for them to hang down loose off the sole of the shoe. This makes it easy to get caught or stick to the snow and walk out of the crampon. It can sometimes take awhile to notice and its not unusual to find orphan kahtoolas sitting on trails and at trailheads. The velcro strap keeps the spikes tighter to the sole and also virtually eliminates stepping out of them inadvertently. At the end of the hike they just pull apart. I had a spare Hillsound strap and added it to my Kahtoolas and it works just as well. Its worth the extra couple of bucks.
    My Kahtoolas fit quite snugly on my freakishly large size 12 feet (big for someone who's 5-9) so this has not been a problem.

But I like the looks of those Hillsound trail crampons which no doubt have better bite in hard ice than my Kahtoolas.

I can vouch for the Hillsounds having better traction in steep/hard ice than the Kahtoolas. No complaints whatsoever about microspikes in general, but I found myself immobilized compared to the three guys I was with a couple of years ago when we were heading up Madison in the whites. The only difference was their trail crampons vs my microspikes. I now own a set of each. For general use you're absolutely fine either way anywhere you might want to go. But when you start going up truly steep surfaces, the trail crampons do shine a little brighter.

I did a day hike one winters day up Washington via Ammo trail over to Jefferson and back down Jewell. I didnt realize I had left my crampons home until leaving Lake of the Clouds. I had my Hillsounds so I kept going and had no issues with the Hillsounds. I avoid ice with Kahtoolas but do not need to with the Hillsounds.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Kahtoola, although the Hillsound version is probably fine as well. There are some Amazon knockoffs that are garbage
    Thank you! I think we’re about finished with ice in North Carolina and inventory is meager right now. I’ll shop around next Labor Day.
    Wayne

The Restocking Gods smiled on me!
    REI has the Hillsound Flexsteps in my size!
    They should arrive next week.
    We had an ice fog overnight. I might need the spikes sooner than I thought!
    This discussion helped me a lot!
    Thanks Y’all!
    Wayne
    Fully vaccinated in the North Carolina Rainforest!

Hillsound FlexSteps Traction System

From REI.
    I have been fretting since I placed the order that these things might not fit my bewildering array of outdoor shoes.
    I worried for no reason. Every shoe or boots from off trail running shoes to old school mega alpine backpacking boots were handled with ease!
    These are not Microspikes. They are more like Mini Crampons. The Velcro strap and sturdy carrying bag are a pleasant surprise!
    Unfortunately, it will probably be next January before I can actually use them on ice or frozen snow.
    2 thumbs WAY UP!
    Wayne

Aha! So you're the reason winter was canceled!

Guilty! Your Honor!
    From White Christmas to a Frozen Mardi Gras, it was fun while it lasted!
    Today’s morning low was 27 F. The relative humidity was 34%. Not conducive to winter precipitation!
    Early Spring golf is Fun!
    Wayne

++ New Posts ++