WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

However you distribute the funds i.e. shuttles, motels, food, etc. 12k is more than ample. Don't overthink it.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    I haven't thru-hiked, but my husband and I have completed the trails in sections over 10 years. Strongly agree that transportation budget is too low. Suggest that you spend a little time on various hostel websites to see what shuttle costs are like. For example, Rattle River (in Gorham, NH) has some shuttles that are free for guests, and others that are listed with their price.

Another factor that hasn't been brought up - it's not really a budget item - is what happens if you decide after two weeks or two months that you don't want to finish the trail? Think about how that works out. You'll need a place to live.
    Oof. That is no joke. The first people I talked to on my thru was a couple at Hightower Gap (mile 8.3). They asked to use my phone because they had no signal and were trying to get a ride out. They were on night two and were quitting their thru hike. They had sold their house before coming out.

The OP does not list their age. As folks get older its harder to condition on the trail. Some folks get stress fractures from speeding up too quickly, once they get stress fractures they are off the trail for a extended period.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 01-21-2021 at 17:55.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    The OP does not list their age. As folks get older its harder to condition on the trail. Some folks get stress fractures from speeding up too quickly, once they get stress fractures they are off the trail for an extended period.
    I once hiked with an older woman through PA. (flip flop started at HF). 20 miles from the DWG she couldn't walk any more. Stress fracture in one of the leg bones. Thankfully we were pretty close to a road and she was able to hobble out on her own, but it ended her hiking.

That same hike, meet a guy in NY, age late 20's or early 30's, who started doing 30 MPD. When I meet him he was off to see a doctor about his feet due to stress fractures. Never saw him again.

Hiking injuries are real and take a fair number of people off the trail every year.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 01-21-2021 at 17:44.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++