WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Scaring Bears

Some interesting/humorous relies here. I didn't think anyone would actually wanna spend approx $200.00 for this. No doubt, would be much better use of funds applied to a nice mat or better bag or tent.
    To be clear though, I came across this item because of what I do for a living in DoD. They were not trying to market it to hikers/campers, that's not what they do.
    And yes to everyone wo commented on how unlikely it is to be subject to an aggressive black bear. I've hiked the entire section of the AT in Virginia except for the bottom 13 miles and have not seen one single bear. My choice of deterrent is bear spray and the air horn.

I am new to the forum and I am just exploring. I find this topic interesting. I have been in and around the Cherokee National Forest for most of my life. I have encountered many black bears. When I say encountered, I mean that I hear them crashing through the woods and catch a glimpse of their rump as they run away from me. The bears that would be around long enough for someone to deploy the Tactical Electronic Distraction Device are probably bears that have been fed and become accustomed to human contact. Very rarely the encounter is with a predatory bear which will probably result in you being attacked by the 100 to 500 pound animal in a surprise attack wherein the animal is moving at you at forty miles per hour. The TEDD devise is useless in this case. So is spray. So is an air horn. The only savior is the hopes you have a proper firearm on your side to deploy during the attack. If you have time to prepare any of these less lethal devices or spray, you probably are not interacting with a predatory bear. If it is not a predatory bear, yell at it and look big, it will probably leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne19822003 View Post
    I am new to the forum and I am just exploring. I find this topic interesting. I have been in and around the Cherokee National Forest for most of my life. I have encountered many black bears. When I say encountered, I mean that I hear them crashing through the woods and catch a glimpse of their rump as they run away from me. The bears that would be around long enough for someone to deploy the Tactical Electronic Distraction Device are probably bears that have been fed and become accustomed to human contact. Very rarely the encounter is with a predatory bear which will probably result in you being attacked by the 100 to 500 pound animal in a surprise attack wherein the animal is moving at you at forty miles per hour. The TEDD devise is useless in this case.
    So far so good...

So is spray. So is an air horn. The only savior is the hopes you have a proper firearm on your side to deploy during the attack. If you have time to prepare any of these less lethal devices or spray, you probably are not interacting with a predatory bear. If it is not a predatory bear, yell at it and look big, it will probably leave.
    If you're carrying bear spray properly, it should be -far- more ready to deploy and easier to use effectively in a panic than any firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    $200 for something you will probably never use? I can think of better ways to spend $200. Most people carry nothing but common sense. Black bears rarely attack, unless they think their cubs are threatened, and even that is rare if you use a little common sense. If you see a black bear with cubs, just get out of the area, don’t stop to take a picture, and above all don’t get between mama and the cubs. Hang your food, or use a bear canister. All the black bears I’ve ever seen ran away when they saw me.

If you feel you must carry something for black bears, carry bear spray.
    The recent bear attacks on southern part of AT and in GSMNP didn’t involve cubs but rather bears coming into camps at night; 2 people were attacked in different incidents in their hammocks and it is unknown how a hiker died near his tent on hazel creek last year but a bear was eating him. Bears are also getting smart about bear hangs and have been jumping off trees to rip down food and stalking camp sites all night. The bear population is rising, especially in protected areas, and bear-people interactions will become more regular.

....and this https://abcnews.go.com/Travel/wireSt...ntana-78690140 "Grizzly bear kills bicyclist camping in western Montana"

Its getting crazy out there, wonding if a gun is needed..

Quote Originally Posted by Fëanor View Post
    No, all we need to do is establish "mauling free zones" to prevent future bear attacks in these areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnycat View Post
    No, all we need to do is establish "mauling free zones" to prevent future bear attacks in these areas.
    Nice!! here!! you start with these https://www.homedepot.com/p/Greenes-...G4PK/206178082 let me know when you're done! yeaaayy! safety again!

In one of his lectures videos posted on line, Tom Smith (bear expert) tells a humorous story about his bear bell research. People buy boatloads of bells to scare bears. Smith tested their efficacy and found bears didn't give a hoot about bells, but were keenly aware of the sound of a breaking pencil. Another study I read found that bears were indifferent to everyone's favorite bear repellent - banging pots and pans. The point made by both researchers is that there are loads of misconceptions regarding bears, often perpetuated because they make sense to humans who never consider if they make sense to bears (or if they do, are not in a position to know). Reading the posts in this thread remind me of this phenomenon.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    In one of his lectures videos posted on line, Tom Smith (bear expert) tells a humorous story about his bear bell research. People buy boatloads of bells to scare bears. Smith tested their efficacy and found bears didn't give a hoot about bells, but were keenly aware of the sound of a breaking pencil. Another study I read found that bears were indifferent to everyone's favorite bear repellent - banging pots and pans. The point made by both researchers is that there are loads of misconceptions regarding bears, often perpetuated because they make sense to humans who never consider if they make sense to bears (or if they do, are not in a position to know). Reading the posts in this thread remind me of this phenomenon.
    OMO all jokes aside , you're correct! Bears are very sneaky mofo's, they always pretend.. but they'll be back. All i have to say I hope you have the cognitive acuteness amongst panic as you're been pulled from your tent,hammock ect.. to pull your gun and put 2 between its eyes. The lady above post, was dragged from her tent as Im finding out. If I ever saw a bear while im hiking not sure how im going to fall asleep that night. To be honest aside from shooting the damn thing upon encounter, whether physical or visual, not sure what the answer is!! I know we're the trespassers but.....

....and this https://abcnews.go.com/Travel/wireSt...ntana-78690140 "Grizzly bear kills bicyclist camping in western Montana"

Grizzly bears are one thing, but black bear attacks are extremely uncommon. You’re much more likely to be hit by lightning.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by NY HIKER 50 View Post
    I know a cheaper alternative. Tincture of bear mother in law. Works every time.
    My Mother-in-law would be much scarier

Journal Entries

I use tincture of bear mother in law. I spread it around my site. It seems to be very effective.

Journal Entries

My mistake. I posted this before. Bring her with you next time.

OMO all jokes aside , you're correct! Bears are very sneaky mofo's, they always pretend.. but they'll be back. All i have to say I hope you have the cognitive acuteness amongst panic as you're been pulled from your tent,hammock ect.. to pull your gun and put 2 between its eyes. The lady above post, was dragged from her tent as Im finding out. If I ever saw a bear while im hiking not sure how im going to fall asleep that night. To be honest aside from shooting the damn thing upon encounter, whether physical or visual, not sure what the answer is!! I know we're the trespassers but.....
    Good time to post reference to the research that shows bear spray is more effective than guns.

"People should consider carrying a non-lethal deterrent such as bear spray," said Smith, a gun owner himself. "It's much easier to deploy, it's less cumbersome and its success rate in these situations is higher than guns."

From "Using a gun in bear encounters doesn't make you safer"

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0306131921.htm

Journal Entries
    Images

Too bad the actual study was not linked — I am sure it would make for interesting reading.

Here is another article of possible interest to those who do carry.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/def...#axzz5y0ItOjaW

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Too bad the actual study was not linked — I am sure it would make for interesting reading.

https://wildlife.onlinelibrary.wiley....1002/jwmg.342

Here is the article. You can read the abstract for free but must pay to access the whole article, unless you can access trough a library with permission (you college or university if a student or professor).

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    https://wildlife.onlinelibrary.wiley....1002/jwmg.342

Here is the article. You can read the abstract for free but must pay to access the whole article, unless you can access trough a library with permission (you college or university if a student or professor).
    Thanks, you inspire me to google up the Author’s name, and the full article appeared here:

http://westernwildlife.org/wp-conten...-Deterrent.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post

Interesting! 97% Success rate ,even states to where bear spray dint work by Fish and Game..
    The one thing about guns , if you do see a bear in the distance you can certainly fire a few shots in the air to scare them away.. hopefully that will be enough..

Because 'ammoland' is an appropriate source for unbiased research?

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Because 'ammoland' is an appropriate source for unbiased research?
    Agreed but having read the "study", it is apparent to me that they had their minds made up when they began the study. Mostly assumptions, opinions and conclusions that could easily be negated.

Bear spray is only effective if it hits the bear and the bear is not angry or protecting it's cubs. The bear must be close enough for the spray to hit it and if there is a stiff breeze the spray may not work.

I carry a very load whistle on my shoulder straps, a can of bear spray and sleep with a 9mm. YMMV.
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Travel not for the destination, but for the joy of the journey.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++