WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2021 AT hiking

Journal Entries

I agree with C.
    I'm hiking Winding Stair Gap to Hot Springs, then catching a flight north and hiking Crawford Notch to Katahdin to complete the trail that I started back in 2016.

Waiting for the weather. Hoping for April. Too cold up there now for a Florida man. Covid does not figure into my plans at all unless of course it shuts things down again.
    ./~Hi ho, hi ho, it's up the trail I go ./~

I'm somewhat C2. I'm not worried. I've already had Covid and will be getting my 2nd vaccination soon. I'm just not sure how difficult it will be getting shuttles to and from the Trail. I'd like to hear from some trail towns on how they feel about this.

D.
    My main issue is not wanting to use shuttles or stay in hostels. If numbers go down, I'll do some self-contained hikes that might include out and back hikes.

Images

:banana

A thru D for me, I am planning at least one section hike from Georgia thru the Smokies and the traditional Grayson highlands into Damascus for trail daze should it happen this year. There have been very contagious episodes along the AT in years past; the fist bump to this day carries on from that event. Distance hikes as a rule exercise extreme hygiene to begin with. before i begin to ramble i am truly looking forward to this season... drive on.
    sooner or later there comes a time

Waiting for the vaccine, but have a ton of traveling to do before getting back on the AT.
    Thus, this year will be a couple of 7 night hikes for around 200 miles total.

C2... On trail Feb 26th.

Journal Entries
    Images

C is what Iam comfertable with.. I am hiking all off virginia this year...
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

The mission for 2020 was Kent CT to Bear Mt Park, about 90 miles, all new trail to me. That got cancelled.
    So D, I guess. My regular partner and I are both old and vaccinated. I think we would need to wait until later in the summer. My guess is that some degree of travel restriction will persist.
    I'm considering the 56 miles loop on the NC side of GSMNP, or the Iron Mountain trail AT ~60? mile loop near Mt. Rogers. Both of us have done big parts of these, but they're certainly fine trails, worth a 2nd or 3rd look.
    I'd sure be pleased if those who go early would report back about what's happening out there. I don't want to make anyone's job harder by being somewhere I'm not supposed to be, but I would surely hate to miss another summer.
    Rusty
    Half Vast Expeditions
    Chapel Hill

a. I'm postponing any AT hikes until I get the vaccine

Except.... like all plans. My good Governor opened the vaccine up to smokers and we went from 450,000 eligible at this time to 4,000,000. I would have had the first dose by now. Unfortunately, the limited injection sites are swamped and the myriad of reservation phone numbers and online scheduling systems are also swamped. Fortunately, on January 20th CDC recommended no longer using CT (PCR cycle count amplification) in the 40 range. We are already down to 40% of the 1/20 infection rate in just 4 weeks. At this rate, I'll be changing to response B.

Fully vaccinated as of February 17, 2021. Nevertheless, masked, distanced, and disinfected until the COVID-19 threat is worn down to a nub. That may be September or even January, 2022, but my goal is to be ready to choose where the weather most compatible to begin my next hike. Time has come to begin purposeful prep even if departure date is a long time hence.

Journal Entries
    Images

I fall into c for vaccines but I am hiking all of virginia this year,, So there"s that
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

C2
    Starting a LASH near the end of March. A little training for my CDT SOBO.

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    general question to the forum, multiple choice

the question only applies to multi-day AT hikes longer then a week, section hikes or thru-hikes, NOT day hikes

Q. What are your AT hiking plans for 2021?

a. I'm postponing any AT hikes until I get the vaccine
    b. I'm postponing any AT hikes indefinitely until the pandemic passes
    c1. I'm done hiking the AT, too crowded
    c2. I'm not worried at all, and not letting the pandemic affect my AT hiking plans, I practice hygiene and avoid crowds
    d. I'm delaying my AT hike plans until later in the year to allow time to see if the number of cases declines significantly
    e. I'm sticking with trails closer to home, either AT or other trails
    f. I don't have time to hike, I'm working too much or don't have the money to spare

happy trails!
    I guess a combination of C and E is the closest answer for me.

At some point this year I may pick up where I left off at Standing Bear and head north, but that's close enough to me where I can drive and not have to be exposed to public transportation. Definitely plan to primarily hike a lot of non-AT trail closer to me. I am vaccinated but for the foreseeable future will continue to "behave" like I am not. I would have felt comfortable with these plans even if I wasn't vaccinated by avoiding the AT March - May and avoiding hostels.

Images

C2 for me. At 74, I'm running out of time and really do not want to delay. Only have another 1400 miles to go so it shouldn't be so bad. :-)
    Simple is good.

C2. Finishing the last 250 miles of VA (SOBO) in April/May this year. I am vaccinated but would go ither way.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I had covid in early December and I've had the Pfizer vaccine so I'm hiking. I'm hiking Atkins to Pearisburg next week.

Images

c2.a1, subsection d: SOBO thru starting June 20th, I am vaccinated, and at this point, if Covid kills me, I probably had it coming.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

"We all have it coming kid"
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    I'm somewhat C2. I'm not worried. I've already had Covid and will be getting my 2nd vaccination soon. I'm just not sure how difficult it will be getting shuttles to and from the Trail. I'd like to hear from some trail towns on how they feel about this.
    Most shuttles are operating. Did some hikes last year that required a shuttle, and only encountered one that said they weren't operating in 2020. The rest had modifications like sitting in the back, windows down, wear a mask, etc... Damascus was alive and well last Spring considering. Shuttles, hostels, restaurants with outdoor seating. Waynesboro last Fall too. I imagine things have only opened up more since.
    It is what it is.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++