WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hut to Hut

You've probably thought of this, but have you tried white noise? Dogs are the worst!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dalekeppley View Post
    You've probably thought of this, but have you tried white noise? Dogs are the worst!

i've tried it once or twice-----it still keeps me up.........

for me, it's just another noise source....

i literally cannot wait for the end of summer, when i move again
    and get some land to buffer.........

Images

I have not read every reply, but I have done this, in '18', I have stayed at each hut more than once. I would not skip Lakes, the views change by the moment. The dining is a zoo, but really a special experience. I say that with this thought.....If you came to Mtn. Washington looking for any solitude, don't waste the gas! Now as far as the distance goes, 12 miles light pack, beautiful day.......no sweat. Breakfast is at 7am, so I guess you could wolf it down by 0715................ those 7 miles to Washington are no joke, in good weather. Just my 2cents but if I had to skip one of those 3 Huts.....I would camp at Nauman tentsite.

Lake of the Clouds equals "Lake of the Crowds" The reality is the huts are booked steady all summer although there are usually openings early in the season during the week but the AMC tries to fill the slots up with groups. The huts are definitely not set for up social distancing.

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    i've tried it once or twice-----it still keeps me up.........

for me, it's just another noise source....

i literally cannot wait for the end of summer, when i move again
    and get some land to buffer.........
    white noise bothers me as well. I have an app that has pink and brown noise as well. I found the pink noise works for me.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    white noise bothers me as well. I have an app that has pink and brown noise as well. I found the pink noise works for me.

heh, heh, heh------as a 51 one year old, who goes back to his pre pubescent years, i found this to be funny......

cause like white wise, i like the pink noise over the brown noise....

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    The bunk rooms of the huts are not heated and do not have bedding. You will need to bring sleeping (bag/quilt) gear with you.
    Not quite. The bunks all have a (several inches thick) long twin mattress, two thick wool blankets, and a pillow. Even if you bring nothing else, you will still be warm and reasonably comfortable (those blankets are itchy A.F.)

However, the mats, blankets, and pillows are only cleaned once a season.

So if you are staying in the huts, I strongly recommend bringing a sleeping bag or quilt, and bring your own long twin fitted sheet and your own pillowcase. I had great success with a fitted sheet + pillowcase and a 50F Enlightened Equipment quilt.

Also, while the bunk rooms are not heated, I guarantee they are significantly warmer than sleeping outside, by a large margin. There are a lot of bodies generating heat.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic View Post
    So if you are staying in the huts, I strongly recommend bringing a sleeping bag or quilt, and bring your own long twin fitted sheet and your own pillowcase. I had great success with a fitted sheet + pillowcase and a 50F Enlightened Equipment quilt.
    Or bring a sleeping bag liner, one of the heavier duty ones.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic View Post
    Not quite. The bunks all have a (several inches thick) long twin mattress, two thick wool blankets, and a pillow. Even if you bring nothing else, you will still be warm and reasonably comfortable (those blankets are itchy A.F.)

However, the mats, blankets, and pillows are only cleaned once a season.

Also, while the bunk rooms are not heated, I guarantee they are significantly warmer than sleeping outside, by a large margin. There are a lot of bodies generating heat.
    I was speaking from personal experience. My experiences have been hit and miss on the blankets in the huts. If the huts do open this season, I doubt they would be offering blankets/pillows. There is no way to launder them between guests.

I agree the huts are warmer than sleeping outdoors. However, I think it will be a bit before they will be back to operating at full capacity.

Thread is in Straight Forward. Keep the Covid posts to the Covid thread and factual about trail conditions not speculative. Thanks.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++