WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Fëanor View Post
    Looks like you took your time.. that can increase your costs?
    Attachment 47127
    Nearly 500 miles in 49 days, about 10 miles a day. Actually pretty average through NH and Maine. You seriously work for your miles up here. There might have been a few zero and near zero (NEARO) days in there too, which reduces the average. This section is arguably the most expensive section to hike.

But yes, the slower the hike, the greater the costs. If you can do the hike in 90 days as opposed to 180 days, there is a significant savings. But probably not by half. Towns are money pits. If your not careful, you can spend a lot of money before you realize exactly how much, especially early on when you think you have plenty and the weather sucks.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Registered User Creature Feature's Avatar

"...I used a simple spending app on my iPhone called, “Spending”...
    It's called Spending Tracker.

How much does it cost to not hike? The price to my mental health can not be calculated.

Quote Originally Posted by Fëanor View Post
    $8,300!!!! either the private rooms or the lobster dinners were expensive?
    For some reason people expect prices on the trail, to do the trail, should be frozen in time. I have been reading for years about the $1-$2 per mile rule. Seriously. But that "rule" started out probably 25 years ago! Prices increase. So the hostel that used to be able to charge $10 back in 1990 isn't going to exist if they kept their prices the same. Same for hotel rooms. I used to be able to get a decent room, anywhere not just on the trail, for $60. These days I spend $100 when I travel for the basic comfort level of clean! (Of course covid has cut room costs so that $100 now gets a much nicer room).

Thanks to the OP for this thread.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Trek View Post
    How much does it cost to not hike? The price to my mental health can not be calculated.
    which is actually something to take into consideration.
    I mean you really cant say you spent $5000 on food, when if you had been home you would have spent the same, more or less.
    Camp food may cost a bit more, but how often would people eat out or order takeout at home ?
    Plus lots of other life expenses are fixed regardless. You pay $100 for a shuttle , but how much gas did you not buy ?

Thanks to the OP, very interesting. I am planning now and those numbers do not surprise me for 150 days. Interesting might be a point of reference to other long distance type activity, long distance bicycling. My last cross country was 4500 miles and I spent just under $4000 staying in cheap motels or cowboy camping. Food was most of the budget percentage wise.

I am planning $2000 for cabin/motel every 4th night, $3000 for food, $1000 for shoes and consumable gear, $500 for transport, $200 USPS postage, Misc. $800. $7500 to cover the distance. Very rough. Could be more or a little less. Can't imagine it under $5k the way I eat

Journal Entries
    Images

Have to agree with PennyPinchyer for years what was it an article and hikers saying it cost 2-3 dollars a mile. Well most hostels are 30-40 bucks. hotels if you share go down.Cost of food increases each year by 10 cents or more in grocery stores. Convienace stores are higher.Thanks op when i hiked from Georgia to virginia I didnt worry about cost cause I had about half of what you spent. So i just walked.
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

And thanks to Slow Trek and Drop Dead Fred for adding the counter factuals, both financial and otherwise. The more ways you look at something the better your odds of good decisions. Thanks.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Old_Dog View Post
    ...Interesting might be a point of reference to other long distance type activity, long distance bicycling. My last cross country was 4500 miles and I spent just under $4000 staying in cheap motels or cowboy camping. Food was most of the budget percentage wise....
    I rode a XC bike tour (ACA Northern Tier) a few years after hiking the AT, and made similar comparisons. My AT hike cost was $1000/month (2008, total cost $3500) and the bike tour cost was $800/month (2012, total cost $1600). Part of the reduced cost was due to lower lodging bills--the Warm Showers network was a big help there. And I was able to consistently get lower prices on better groceries.
    I like to consider the cost per time quotient for longer trips. Most planners stress that a faster hike is a cheaper hike.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I rode a XC bike tour (ACA Northern Tier) a few years after hiking the AT, and made similar comparisons. My AT hike cost was $1000/month (2008, total cost $3500) and the bike tour cost was $800/month (2012, total cost $1600). Part of the reduced cost was due to lower lodging bills--the Warm Showers network was a big help there. And I was able to consistently get lower prices on better groceries.
    I like to consider the cost per time quotient for longer trips. Most planners stress that a faster hike is a cheaper hike.
    My bike trip was fast, so, I agree. Time quotient is probably fairer way to compare. A 100 day AT might not be half the cost of a 200 day voyage but it will certainly be much cheaper. I am going to try avoiding taking shuttles into towns just to resupply. Resupply Neels Gap, NOC, mail drop Fontana area, Mail Drop Standing Bear, etc., etc. and staying the night at mail drop spots near or on trail. Buy some food locally, have some drops. Shower, bed and clean clothing every 3-5 days seems very doable based on the spreadsheet from this site. Tent or shelter other nights. I know from my bicycling days that buying food at convenience stores and restaurants gets really expensive whereas taking the time to go off route to a grocery can take a lot of time. I like really good olive oil, cheese, hard sausages, trail mix, nuts, etc. so my wife can send me a package every once in a while. Considering saving time and not using a shuttle, the postage cost is probably a wash.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++