WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

ok I ordered the front utility pack for my map, snacks, phone and maybe some other small stuff. My stove I figure I will put in the upper pouch on one side. I will put my small shovel in one of the side lower pockets. My extra clothes will go in to a dry bag. Once I get the pack, I will start to try to fit everything properly.

Quote Originally Posted by bert304 View Post
    ok I ordered the front utility pack for my map, snacks, phone and maybe some other small stuff. My stove I figure I will put in the upper pouch on one side. I will put my small shovel in one of the side lower pockets. My extra clothes will go in to a dry bag. Once I get the pack, I will start to try to fit everything properly.
    You might find Mike Clelland's Ultralight Backpacking series on YouTube helpful.

Cam "Swami" Honan has a fantastic website that you might like, as does Alan Dixon. Oodles of good information on backpacking with a light load that is comfortable and safe. There are many others of course if you google Ultralight Backpacking.

I really like this pack on paper. I'm hoping some reviews will be hitting YouTube soon so I can decide if it's really for me or not.

Today is 3 weeks from when I ordered the pack, I understand that it is a cottage industry that they make them one at a time. I am looking forward to the pack arriving, I checked their site and it is still showing unfulfilled.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I've been hammocking for a few years and have a pretty good feel for various quilts/tarps that are needed in different seasons.

I did a quick overnighter yesterday (got back this morning) and carried kit for 30°F ( it got down to 27°F) and it all fit with GOBS of room to spare, so it would've been fine for a multi-day in similar conditions. It'd probably be okay for 20°F-rated TQ and UQ, but not 0°F kit and something like a HG Palace tarp. Plus you'd likely be carrying serious puffies and other bulkier winter gear. But there are probably some UL Zen Masters who could do it... but I ain't one of 'em.

In the pics below, pack contains 30deg EE Enigma TQ, 20deg Revolt (65"), DH Darien 10'/Robic 1.7, HG 11' Hex DCF, Montbell Alpine light hooded puffy, Marmot Precip pants, Zpacks poncho, Helinox chair zero (OK, flog me for UL blasphemy) alky stove setup, food and the other normal stuff. I don't know the base weight, but trailhead TPW was 13.8lb on my digital luggage scale including food and 20oz water.

My philosophy is to carry a pack large enough to contain all my stuff if at all possible. I absolutely abhor strapping a bunch of stuff to the outside just so I can say I'm carrying a smaller volume pack, with stuff clanging, jangling, scraping and snagging on rocks and vegetation.

The pack carried extremely well for me, and I intentionally collected my evening water a little earlier so I could carry it at a heavier weight for a couple of miles. With the 1.5 liter Evernew bladder adding another 3.3lb or so it totaled about 17lbs and was still a dream.

Too early to say yet, however I noticed that my back was practically dry where I usually have a very damp or wet area in the lumbar region, even though I am always very attentive when it comes to controlling overheating. Trampoline is good, but my first impression is that these curved stays are even better.

Attachment 47118 Attachment 47119
    Judging by the pictures ,the shoulder straps seem thin unlike Osprey, Deuter ect.. Do you have any thoughts on that? and can you order them thicker? It seems to be the norm for these Ultralight backpacks..

Today is 3 weeks from when I ordered the pack, I understand that it is a cottage industry that they make them one at a time. I am looking forward to the pack arriving, I checked their site and it is still showing unfulfilled.
    Hmm... I'd shoot them an email. Maybe they didn't actually have the green material in hand when you ordered?

I was kinda shocked when I got mine about 1.5 weeks after ordering, especially during the holiday maelstrom and all the horror stories about shipping problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Fëanor View Post
    Judging by the pictures ,the shoulder straps seem thin unlike Osprey, Deuter ect.. Do you have any thoughts on that? and can you order them thicker? It seems to be the norm for these Ultralight backpacks..
    I'm finding them comfortable so far, now with about 75 trail miles on the pack, typical load around 15lb for winter overnight only with no big food/water carries. Hip belt is the same thickness and I'm also finding it comfortable, although I always note that I need the supplemental lumbar pad.

I don't think you can order them with thicker padding but I suppose you could ask. You can, however, add some supplemental shoulder strap pads.

I'm finding them comfortable so far, now with about 75 trail miles on the pack, typical load around 15lb for winter overnight only with no big food/water carries. Hip belt is the same thickness and I'm also finding it comfortable, although I always note that I need the supplemental lumbar pad.

I don't think you can order them with thicker padding but I suppose you could ask. You can, however, add some supplemental shoulder strap pads.
    Yeah 15lbs is nothing, just the other day I went to REI looking for backpacks was particularly looking for the Flash 55, so we loaded them up with 30lbs an tried them on along with the Gregory Optic...
    They felt good you could feel the weight on my hips and how well they hugged you. Was not overly impressed though.. So as were getting to leave, the girl who helped us stopped us and said wait would you like to try this HMG backpack? My eyes doubled in size as i saw this thing, dint know they carried them.

...OMG!!! I never felt 30lbs feel so light! The pack felt so comfortable I was blow away!!! ...so thats what the hype is all about!
    All these fancy schmancy packs with their complicated air frames could touch the comfort of the HMG pack... So now im looking fr an Ultralight but really dont want to spend $400 either so the this Arc Air is on my list now.. so I appreciate this thread here.. we'll see what Ill be getting still doing research.. chicken tramper gear looks interesting wonder if anybody has any thoughts..

You might want to check out the links in my post #22 above. Just because the specs say it can carry "up to 35 lbs" doesn't mean this is a routine carrying weight... they're still UL packs and as such are going to be "happiest" with a max of about 20-25lbs, which is the weight many thru-hikers will be carrying right after resupply.

It's also hard to judge the comfort of a pack by wearing it around for a few minutes inside your local REI. Wearing it on an actual trail for 15 miles with 3000ft of vertical nearly always exposes one issue or another that won't be discovered in the pack department at your outfitter.

You might want to check out the links in my post #22 above. Just because the specs say it can carry "up to 35 lbs" doesn't mean this is a routine carrying weight... they're still UL packs and as such are going to be "happiest" with a max of about 20-25lbs, which is the weight many thru-hikers will be carrying right after resupply.

It's also hard to judge the comfort of a pack by wearing it around for a few minutes inside your local REI. Wearing it on an actual trail for 15 miles with 3000ft of vertical nearly always exposes one issue or another that won't be discovered in the pack department at your outfitter.
    Thanks!! Ive seen Mike Clelland and Dixon before but not Cam "Swami" Honan, Swami looks to have very nice info!

Quote Originally Posted by Fëanor View Post
    Thanks!! Ive seen Mike Clelland and Dixon before but not Cam "Swami" Honan, Swami looks to have very nice info!
    Great, and I hope all that is helpful. It really is not so much about target numbers (Ohhh, you're not *truly* UL because your base is 10.25 lbs!!) but more about the philosophy of carrying less stuff and still being comfortable, safe and well fed. However, when you get that "less stuff" part dialed in you'll find that the pack will, as a matter of course, end up significantly lighter.

But some 20 years ago if you told me I'd someday be able to do a winter trip with 12 lbs of kit (and sleeping in a hammock) I would have thought you were using LSD.

I received the email and texts today that my order has shipped.

I received the email and texts today that my order has shipped.
    Excellent!

Bring on the feedback, maybe I'll give in!
    The Robic version literally looks perfect to me(every single feature I want, nothing I don't), and is the only pack I'm remotely interested in as a replacement for my Exos.
    Certainly don't need it, but I get a little excited looking at it, because it's like someone took a list of my criteria and made my ideal backpack.

I'm really just having a hard time deciding which color to get...
    Last edited by OwenM; 01-23-2021 at 05:08.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    Bring on the feedback, maybe I'll give in!
    The Robic version literally looks perfect to me(every single feature I want, nothing I don't), and is the only pack I'm remotely interested in as a replacement for my Exos.
    Certainly don't need it, but I get a little excited looking at it, because it's like someone took a list of my criteria and made my ideal backpack.

I'm really just having a hard time deciding which color to get...
    LOL, my rationale as well! My list included only the Robic and slightly smaller volume, but they sweetened the deal with the new stay setup.

I received the pack on Wednesday and I got a chance to open the box on Saturday. I loosened all the straps like they say in the setup video and proceeded to fill it with my stuff. I then put the pack on and started to adjust all the straps. It feels great to wear. I am still trying to figure out where to put the smaller stuff but so far so good.

I can't believe you waited 3 days to open it! I'm like a kid ripping open a Christmas present as soon as new swag arrives!!

Good sign that the initial fit looks good. Best part is loading up some some stuff for a by-gawd overnighter and some trail miles.

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    Good to hear on the back moisture! I am curious if the curved stays can potentially be retrofit into an Arc Blast. Then I could remove the mesh trampoline part and not have to spend $325 on a 5 litre smaller version of my pack.
    A thru-hiking couple did just that - and they posted how they did it on their youtube channel (and at least one other couple followed suit, but they left the mesh on...)
    see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stOtVquvUP8

or look up The Vintage Hikers on youtube.

I can't believe you waited 3 days to open it! I'm like a kid ripping open a Christmas present as soon as new swag arrives!!

Good sign that the initial fit looks good. Best part is loading up some some stuff for a by-gawd overnighter and some trail miles.
    I was working out of town and did not get back until late Friday night, so I waited until Saturday morning

I ordered an under quilt so I am waiting to go out until I receive that.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by justhike View Post
    A thru-hiking couple did just that - and they posted how they did it on their youtube channel (and at least one other couple followed suit, but they left the mesh on...)
    see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stOtVquvUP8

or look up The Vintage Hikers on youtube.
    Appreciate that link! Now that they have released that orange robic I am really having to consider it. It would make a great pack now for hiking and hunting, no need for a orange pack cover anymore!
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++