WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Opinions On Granite Gear Packs

Looking at the Blaze 60 (46oz) and the Crown2 (36oz). Both are 60L and get great reviews.

The Crown2 is lighter but the polypropylene frame and thin fabric that covers it concerns me long term. But I like the adjustable belt.

Like the adjustable torso on the Blaze and it has been around a longtime, so hopefully any bugs have been worked out.

Opinions will be greatly appreciated!

Note: I tried a friends ZPack Arc Haul and found it uncomfortable for me, he loves it.

I own two GG packs, and like both. I bought a Cornice ski pack for winter day trips and three season overnights, and used it for at least ten years. I added side pockets and used it for several week long trips as well. It's a bit small, but has held up well and is comfortable for loads to 30 pounds or more. I recently bought a Lutzen 55 for greater capacity and adjustable suspension at similar weight. It is also a very capable pack for any reasonable three season load.

These packs have served me quite well, and I expect their other packs are also well designed and built. It looks like you already know to try before you buy, so happy shopping and hiking.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Got an email yesterday from The Section Hiker. There is a new version of the Blaze 60 coming. Stand by. Wait for it.
    1089 South Hover Street
    Longmont, CO
    USA, 80501
    Wayne

The rest of story:
    Granite Gear unveiled an impressive upgrade of the Blaze AC 60 Backpack, with an entirely new injection molded framesheet that gives the pack an impressive 50 lb load rating. The pack has an adjustable length hip belt and adjustable torso length so you can dial in a perfect fit. It has a removable top lid than can be attached to the front of the pack and used as a large chest pocket, a rear zipper that provides full interior access, and large hip belt pockets. The new Blaze AC uses a custom 210 Robic Nylon UHMWPE triple gridstop in high wears areas, making it Granite Gear’s most durable backpack to date. The pack is available in multiple torso ranges raging from 15″ to 24″ for men and ranging from 15″ to 21″ for women, including women’s specific shoulder straps and hip belts. The Blaze AC 60 pack weight ranges from 2.9 to 3.1 lbs, depending on the size.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Got an email yesterday from The Section Hiker. There is a new version of the Blaze 60 coming. Stand by. Wait for it.
    1089 South Hover Street
    Longmont, CO
    USA, 80501
    Wayne
    Or wait for it to come out and buy the older model at a steep discount.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

The rest of story:
    Granite Gear unveiled an impressive upgrade of the Blaze AC 60 Backpack, with an entirely new injection molded framesheet that gives the pack an impressive 50 lb load rating. The pack has an adjustable length hip belt and adjustable torso length so you can dial in a perfect fit. It has a removable top lid than can be attached to the front of the pack and used as a large chest pocket, a rear zipper that provides full interior access, and large hip belt pockets. The new Blaze AC uses a custom 210 Robic Nylon UHMWPE triple gridstop in high wears areas, making it Granite Gear’s most durable backpack to date. The pack is available in multiple torso ranges raging from 15″ to 24″ for men and ranging from 15″ to 21″ for women, including women’s specific shoulder straps and hip belts. The Blaze AC 60 pack weight ranges from 2.9 to 3.1 lbs, depending on the size.
    Wayne
    WOW!! Thanks for the info. Any idea when it will be available?

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Or wait for it to come out and buy the older model at a steep discount.
    Excellent point!!

Clueless about what may or may not be coming in the Granite Gear line. However, I own the GG Crown VC60. My pack of choice now. I own 3 of the other packs that might line up against it. They have been great. But VC60 is just right. I am 6'1". 162 lbs. Never carry more than 30 lbs summer or winter anywhere. Nice to know I could. It stands up by itself! That is so nice in so many situations. It is such a "smart" pack in so many ways. I don't have a con.

Images

My wife carried a granite gear crown for a couple of years. We did a 650 section hike hike in 2015 and during our hike we both needed to change hip belts to a smaller size. I carried a ULA catalyst. Granite gear customer service was TERRIBLE! Especially when compared to ULA. Granite gear wanted to charge as much for the new hip belt as a new pack would have cost and shipping would take 4-6 weeks! UNACCEPTABLE! Compare that to ULA who charged me $25.00 for my new hip belt and overnight shipped it to me at no charge! My wife ordered a new ULA pack and the granite gear now collects dust in our equipment room. Personally this experience was enough to convince me to never buy another granite gear pack! Good luck on your selection.

1089 South Hover Street
    Longmont, CO
    USA, 80501
    Wayne
    Contacted GG. The new Blaze will be available in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rx View Post
    My wife carried a granite gear crown for a couple of years. We did a 650 section hike hike in 2015 and during our hike we both needed to change hip belts to a smaller size. I carried a ULA catalyst. Granite gear customer service was TERRIBLE! Especially when compared to ULA. Granite gear wanted to charge as much for the new hip belt as a new pack would have cost and shipping would take 4-6 weeks! UNACCEPTABLE! Compare that to ULA who charged me $25.00 for my new hip belt and overnight shipped it to me at no charge! My wife ordered a new ULA pack and the granite gear now collects dust in our equipment room. Personally this experience was enough to convince me to never buy another granite gear pack! Good luck on your selection.
    Your comments are the first negative ones I have read....thank you for sharing them. It is definitely something to consider. I have never tried a ULA pack. Forgetting the customer service issue for a moment; how would you compare both the comfort and durability of the ULA vs the GG?

Thanks

My GG Nimbus Latitude was very comfortable. The only negative is that I couldn't access the water bottles in the side pockets with the pack on. Not such a big deal if you use a hydration bladder, but annoying none the less. I believe Section Hiker's latest review mentioned that they've addressed that issue.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I have 4? GG packs. In my experience, they are sturdy and comfortable. the lightweight models like the Crown (I have the Crown VC 60) or the Vapor series won't handle heavy loads well, but that's not what they're designed for! I add the air current suspension pad or a folded thermarest for some stiffness, and that works very well - my total kit is usually under 25#. Really can't go too wrong with GG stuff.

Thanks for all the feedback! I couldn't decide between the Blaze & Crown2. Crown has the adjustable belt and the Blaze has the adjustable torso. Thanks to Feral Bill, I took a look at the Lutsen 55 which has both adjustments and weighs 49oz. A small weigh penalty compared to the other two, but I'm moving down from about 6lbs so it will be a vast improvement!!! Found one at REI outlet for half price and verified that I can return it if not happy. Should be here by the middle of next week.

Thanks again!!!
    Last edited by DownYonder; 07-31-2018 at 14:37.

Hey guys..stumbled on this thread because I was looking at this MassDrop for a "Granite Gear Crown X60" for $119 which looks like an amazing deal to me. That deal expires tonight...just FYI. I think I'll be pulling the trigger on this deal shortly myself. Good luck everyone!
    https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdro...n-x60#overview

Now that I'm not goofing off at the office, I can give a little more detail. I said the suspensions on GG's light packs didn't handle heavy loads well. This applies to all of my GG packs that have a plastic framesheet and foam as their primary suspension (Vapor trail, Latitude Vapor, Crown VC 60). Once they get overloaded, the frame collapses and puts the load on your shoulders instead of the hips - not comfortable! With my baseweight of about 15#, that was only a problem for me if I was carrying an extra load of water for a dry camp. There are several ways to add stiffness, just check out the techniques used by frameless pack aficionados.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback! I couldn't decide between the Blaze & Crown2. Crown has the adjustable belt and the Blaze has the adjustable torso. Thanks to Feral Bill, I took a look at the Lutsen 55 which has both adjustments and weighs 49oz. A small weigh penalty compared to the other two, but I'm moving down from about 6lbs so it will be a vast improvement!!! Found one at REI outlet for half price and verified that I can return it if not happy. Should be here by the middle of next week.

Thanks again!!!
    I have 4 of the Lutsen 55s in my garage. I picked them up at REI for my son and his Scout friends to use. No complaints from them but, they are 12/13 years old and don't know any different yet. I haven't hiked with them myself but was very impressed with the materials, utility, build quality and the garage comfort.

Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Images

I'm on my 5th GG pack---two Nimbus Meridian's and two Crown VC60s. (Note: the Nimbus Meridians are still serviceable and I use them occasionally in winter. I've put over 13,000 miles on those packs so they are pretty sturdy). I find they all carry heavy loads well. Have had the Nimbus Meridiian laded down with about 60 lbs for a short 3 mile uphill hike with grub and griphoist gear on Maine Trail Crew. Switched to Crowns to save a little weight and find they still carry well when I've had to load them down with up to 40 lbs for 7 liter water carries in the desert (along with 4-5 days food). Have had occasion to use GG customer service and found then to be responsive. Met GG representatives at CDT kickoff in Silver City after my GET hike this spring and learned they were coming out with the new version of the Crown. Plan to buy one since my current VC60 got pretty beat up in the brush on the Grand Enchantment.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Images

The GG pack was a very sturdy & comfortable pack for my wife but their customer service was the worst I have personally experienced with any of the gear companies I have dealt with thus far. And believe me with this addiction to backpacking that I have, I’ve been through a lot of gear at this point in my life!

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rx View Post
    The GG pack was a very sturdy & comfortable pack for my wife but their customer service was the worst I have personally experienced with any of the gear companies I have dealt with thus far. And believe me with this addiction to backpacking that I have, I’ve been through a lot of gear at this point in my life!
    Funny how everyone has different experiences… I've had good service from GG, and lousy service from companies other hikers love. Sometimes it just seems to be luck of the draw.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++