WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I should have added that I don’t use hiking poles either, so the weight savings from dual use aren’t there for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I too use a 2 person CF tarp 75% of the time. I'm not a fanatic about any of my hiking gear and switch shelters, sleeping bags, packs, stoves, etc. based on my hike.
    10-K you are a sage. I think this sums it up quite nicely.

There are many effective solutions to most of our backpacking needs. There is no one best solution as was requested by the OP.

Those of us with the luxury of having done this a while and accumulated a lot of various types of gear for various situations can pick what we want for each experience. My partly flippant and partly earnest point in the previous posts in this thread is that many people jump to the idea that a tent is needed. And, until one has experimented with a tarp and/or seen good examples of tarps being used, it seems that many in our community often jump to the idea (which I suggest is false) of a tent nearly always being the optimal solution.

That's all. I don't think everyone should use a tarp, and I don't always. BUT, to me the default question should NOT be what tent to buy, but what shelters would be optimal and why. AND, I would like to see our community continue to question the built in assumptions we all make when asking and answering questions in these forums.

Mostly, I want to see us get outside and keep having fun regardless of our flawed ideas.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I just noticed that the last one to post in the tarp users sub forum was me , about 10 months ago.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I just noticed that the last one to post in the tarp users sub forum was me , about 10 months ago.
    Nature of the beast. I haven't been active here in years and it's like I never left. There's only so much to talk about.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    So does a bug net. . . albeit, I admit, in the worst bug situations, I won't wine about using a tent. . . just the other 85% of the time.
    While not universally true, those using a tarp are often doing so to save weight. Adding a bug net is counter to that goal.

Now if you were only referencing the light-weight head cover... well that still keeps your arms and legs exposed.

Yea, there's tarps with bug liners... but I see such devices as being closer to a modified light weight tent than a true tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    While not universally true, those using a tarp are often doing so to save weight. Adding a bug net is counter to that goal.

Now if you were only referencing the light-weight head cover... well that still keeps your arms and legs exposed.
    Yea, there's tarps with bug liners... but I see such devices as being closer to a modified light weight tent than a true tarp.
    I actually use tarps primarily because I prefer the openness of them where I feel more a part of the world around me instead of isolated from it.
    Second, I use tarps because they are exceptionally simple and light weight compared to a tent. And, simplicity is an important aesthetic for me in the backcountry.

I'll agree with you about a mesh tent practically being a tent. But, as a whole, even with a mesh tent, a tarp system is generally still a bit lighter than a tent and still a bit more open instead of being a "sealed box".

As for what bug nets I use? It varies completely. I use all you listed, plus just a loose piece of bug netting thrown over your head area at night also works. BUT, most of the time bug nets just aren't needed. So, even if I have a bug net with me, I generally don't use it, so I get the more open aesthetic of the tarp without the netting unless the netting is needed.

And finally, to be completely candid, I really like attention I get from people that think tents are necessary or even important while I'm sleeping out under the starts or under a tarp being completely comfortable, with room to move even in foul weather.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Long delayed update because I bought a backpack at the beginning of spring instead of the tent.

I finally bought the Copper Spur UL3. It made more sense to squeeze three of us into one tent for budget reasons and the total carrying weight of me + two kids will be lower. Partially also because rearranged vacation plans (what in which year) means my week long backpacking trip moved up a year, need to put money other places sooner to get ready for that.

I also will like the extra 3” head height.

Down the line I’ll revisit a lighter tent for just me.

Its never a surprise when people buy BA tents and the Copper Spur series is always a winner. Maybe not the best for everyone in every situation but unless a tent is wrong for you in the first place you dont hear complaints about the CS. I now own 2 UL2s- one with a Hotel fly and standard fly for bike packing and a 2021 for my wife.

In case someone is thinking about the color, I bought the orange. It was a tossup but I wasn’t all that into the green. If it has been orange and blue or orange and tan or orange and bright green I would have got not orange. The tent it’s replacing is a nice blue.

One bonus, Moosejaw is having a rewards sale right now through the 11th.

Earned 30% back on the price before tax. Have an REI membership but 30 is obviously better and it’s in and out of stock with Everyone this year so the timing was perfect that they had it with a good deal.

We’ll buy kids coats with the reward money. Both were already on our fall budget. I think I figured that with tax I’ll spend a little less than 80% what I would have on both items and 20% off sales are not that uncommon, most sales don’t usually go over 10-15%

Funny you should mention color, my 2018 CS UL2 is orange and while I do like the idea that should you go away from your campsite, say to gather wood its easy to see thru the woods. A few times I did not pay much attention, turned to head back and was surprised to see my heading was off when the tent became visible. That said the orange is a bit clashy with the woods except in late fall, so the 2021 CS I purchased is green and I like it.

Agree Moosejaw has some great deals...
    As to price, patience is KING! I got my 2021 this June by pre-ordering from Evo at 30% off. My 2018 CS UL2 Hotel(entire tent) was purchased as NOS in 2019 for $225 and I snagged a 2019 FlyCreek HV UL2 at Xmas of 2019 for $120!!!. All from reputable, big name stores. The only thing I paid full boat for was a spare fly(new) for the CS UL2 from BA. Pretty much the same story with my Osprey Exos and Levity, all at big discounts. I'm somewhat embrassed to say I sold the Fly Creek with 27 nights use for $100 profit which went right back into that Hotel.

There are a few things that are indelibly etched in your brain after a thru-hike. One of them is that the freestanding/not freestanding argument is irrelevant. You have to stake your shelter down anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bansko View Post
    There are a few things that are indelibly etched in your brain after a thru-hike. One of them is that the freestanding/not freestanding argument is irrelevant.
    Love this. And I think you can insert nearly any hotly-debated topic.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++