WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

The trail doesn’t need anymore hostels, B&Bs or anything. Back in the early 80s hikers had to pack about 10 days of stuff as there were few trail towns. Now there’s a hostel or something every few days. The hikers I met rarely complained about packing 50 pound loads and the completion rate wasn’t much different. The gram weenies now can’t shoulder a 30 pound pack and then leave used gear and trash everywhere. The AT is no longer the challenge it used to be its a party hike to Trail Days in Damascus then disappear. Some providing services these days are just wanting to make money and haven’t really done much LDX backpacking.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    The trail doesn’t need anymore hostels, B&Bs or anything. Back in the early 80s hikers had to pack about 10 days of stuff as there were few trail towns. Now there’s a hostel or something every few days. The hikers I met rarely complained about packing 50 pound loads and the completion rate wasn’t much different. The gram weenies now can’t shoulder a 30 pound pack and then leave used gear and trash everywhere. The AT is no longer the challenge it used to be its a party hike to Trail Days in Damascus then disappear. Some providing services these days are just wanting to make money and haven’t really done much LDX backpacking.
    I love when people revise history. I'm sure no one in the 60's, 70's and 80's left their trash behind and I'm sure back in the day everyone was a serious hiker, nothing like the immature, drug addled but entitled and wealthy gram weenies of today.... LOL

Is it raining yet?
    Images

The Cleaner: It's cloudy

sketcher709's response: Taxes are too high

Trash, maturity and drug use have nothing to do with the plethora of hostels and other services scattered along this "wilderness trail". There are enough services AND Americans as a whole are softer (physically and psychologically) than they were 40, 60 and 80 years ago.

I hope this doesn't offend anyone.....
    Be Prepared

Shoe spikes. Hiking with our local club yesterday several members were using spikey-like things on their shoes/boots for traction. One brand was Stabilicers. The trails were mostly snow-covered, slushy some mud and some some hills with short steep spots. How effective are these under various conditions? What effect do these have on the condition of the trail? I might think that the spikes would make the trails even mushier or muddier for following hikers and maybe cut into surface roots of trees along the trail. I just use my hiking poles for such conditions with much success. Any thoughts?

Dont see much use in them for mud and slush... I could see wet rocks and actual smooth ice. The runs, treks and hikes basically look like tire studs.. You can get about 100 of them for less than 10 bucks IIRC.
    I use them on my horses when riding some of the state parks that use wooden bridges.. In the woods they get and stay damp, then get a slimy mold making them slicker than owl snot for horses. I keep a set of studded boots just for those places.

Kathoola spikes if rock solid ice.
    Snow,slush,mud,no....
    I agree spikes in those conditions will only make things worse!

Absolutely nothing to do with trail services ??
    Last edited by JNI64; 12-21-2020 at 17:57.

Didn’t micro spikes back in the good ole days. Or the damn internet. But we had great wagons and oxen. And you didn’t have to go into the wild to find a proper privy.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    I was going to suggest NJ, NY, CT, MA also. The cost of living is high in those states and it seems like it would be difficult to break even, much less turn a profit running a hiker hostel.
    Yes, the most underserved part of the trail is the part of the trail where property values are highest. And they are highest in NJ through southern MA because that's where the trail skirts closest to densely populated areas. And places closest to densely populated areas are also most prone to zoning restrictions and more regulations.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

The only way around high property costs would be to set it up as a non profit. Something like an American Youth Hostel

Sorry, bit of an older thread, but I really have to throw something in that wasn’t mentioned...

YES, YES, YES! PLEASE OPEN A HOSTEL...but not on the AT.

I love the AT (otherwise I wouldn’t be here), but there are so many good medium to long distance trails across the country that have no hiker infrastructure. Laundry, shuttles, maybe a supply of hiker needs like fuel canisters don’t exist and while I love my own hotel room with shower, those can get real pricy if there is never an alternative.

You have so many options this way. Find the part of the country you want to live in that fits your budget, with a hiking season that fits your schedule.

Downside: you probably won’t get 20 people per day. Upside: you probably won’t get 20 people per day. Many of the trails in this country are multiuse though, so you could also serve the mountain biking crowd. I found the thrubikers on the CT and AZT to be very cool and very mellow.

Another benefit is just a better hiker culture. On other trails the people are out there to hike and they come financially prepared for their journey. No trying to live off hiker boxes, no entitlement, no obnoxious big group party culture.

I don’t want to list all the trails that come to mind (but the SHT is the first) and I don’t know if there is a need or a good place for it on the BMT to extend an AT hike, but the need exists. Again, will you get rich off it? No. But you will meet good hikers and help fill a need.

Excellent point here. As I was reading, my first thought was of the SHT too. Northern Minnesota is a great place to live. I'm just starting to research the Ice Age Trail myself, and think there are probably several places that a hostel and hiker services would be very welcome.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Images

Northern half of Vermonts Long Trail could use hiker services.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Northern half of Vermonts Long Trail could use hiker services.
    Hey, if you can't afford a $100 night at a nice B+B, you shouldn't be hiking up there!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++