WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Congratulations on completing all of the Appalachian Trail. What's next? :-)

You're roadrunners compared to me -- I started in 1973 and didn't finish until 2014, a full 41 years later. Of course, I only got one big section in during the 80's and 90's due to family and work, so figure something closer to 100 miles a year or 21 years.

My next challenge was a thru-hike of the John Muir Trail, but my balky knees kicked me off the trail after only a few days. This year I finally replaced both knees and am looking forward to sections of the Superior Hiking Trail in the coming years, plus the Timberline and Wonderland Trails in 2022.

Thanks for the pictures. I knew the location of many of them as soon as I saw them. Great memories.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Congratulations on completing all of the Appalachian Trail. What's next? :-)

You're roadrunners compared to me -- I started in 1973 and didn't finish until 2014, a full 41 years later. Of course, I only got one big section in during the 80's and 90's due to family and work, so figure something closer to 100 miles a year or 21 years.

My next challenge was a thru-hike of the John Muir Trail, but my balky knees kicked me off the trail after only a few days. This year I finally replaced both knees and am looking forward to sections of the Superior Hiking Trail in the coming years, plus the Timberline and Wonderland Trails in 2022.

Thanks for the pictures. I knew the location of many of them as soon as I saw them. Great memories.
    Ah Kerosene, it must have been hard to keep at it for 41 years! What a journey.
    I texted my husband the other day that I miss the trail. I was shocked when he called me yesterday from work and suggested that we grab the tent and go somewhere overnight! Normally I have to nudge, coax, and drag him along. But he wasn't quite serious, and due to his work schedule it's entirely impractical unless we camp on our own property Tipi-style. Still, before I went to bed I pulled out a couple maps to start planning some short excursions in the late winter and spring.
    I need to do some research before I can make real plans for longer trails. For now our long-range thinking includes 7-10 day sections in Hawaii, Alaska, the PCT/CDT, and maybe some shorter trips to lesser known places closer to us. And I'm excited about maybe going to Machu Picchu! No plans to wade through gators and boa constrictors in the Florida swamps. Don't wanna carry water for 25-30 miles in anybody's desert. Don't feel the need to master the skills for serious snow and ice travel. Just keep active and see beautiful places.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Ah Kerosene, it must have been hard to keep at it for 41 years! What a journey.
    I texted my husband the other day that I miss the trail. I was shocked when he called me yesterday from work and suggested that we grab the tent and go somewhere overnight! Normally I have to nudge, coax, and drag him along. But he wasn't quite serious, and due to his work schedule it's entirely impractical unless we camp on our own property Tipi-style. Still, before I went to bed I pulled out a couple maps to start planning some short excursions in the late winter and spring.
    I need to do some research before I can make real plans for longer trails. For now our long-range thinking includes 7-10 day sections in Hawaii, Alaska, the PCT/CDT, and maybe some shorter trips to lesser known places closer to us. And I'm excited about maybe going to Machu Picchu! No plans to wade through gators and boa constrictors in the Florida swamps. Don't wanna carry water for 25-30 miles in anybody's desert. Don't feel the need to master the skills for serious snow and ice travel. Just keep active and see beautiful places.
    Those sound like great plans!! I have found that the bug for planning and adventure will not stop once the AT is completed for me. Thus starting the 3 trails close to home for the next few years. However, I think of the AT Alot of times I long to go back to my ways of redoing sections instead of these smaller trails however I know that that is only staying in a comfort zone I have created for myself. Venturing out to the new untraveled places is an unkown, a new adventure. My heart will always be in hiking the AT
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Those sound like great plans!! I have found that the bug for planning and adventure will not stop once the AT is completed for me. Thus starting the 3 trails close to home for the next few years. However, I think of the AT Alot of times I long to go back to my ways of redoing sections instead of these smaller trails however I know that that is only staying in a comfort zone I have created for myself. Venturing out to the new untraveled places is an unkown, a new adventure. My heart will always be in hiking the AT
    We're fortunate to live on twelve-and-a-half acres. A few years ago I began cutting a trail, roughly a mile long. It weaves in and out of the woods, crosses open areas, and cuts through tangles of vines and thorns. I try to keep it reasonably clear, but I intentionally leave obstacles that you have to step over or duck under. It's my way of replicating the AT here at home, just outside my door. It even has an area I call the Honeysuckle Wilderness. Like the Hundred Mile Wilderness, it's the furthest from civilization.

Journal Entries

Congratulations on finishing the AT!
    I plan on finishing this year...I have Crawford Notch to Katahdin left, about 345 miles. I started in 2016, and did not hike in 2020.

Journal Entries

My longest section was 803 miles in 2017...Pearisburg Va to Pawling NY. I have 345 miles left...Crawford Notch to Katahdin. Plan on finishing it July, August time frame this year.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
    My longest section was 803 miles in 2017...Pearisburg Va to Pawling NY. I have 345 miles left...Crawford Notch to Katahdin. Plan on finishing it July, August time frame this year.
    Good luck to you, and congratulations in advance!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++