WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

Default would you wear a mask when hiking?

Sounds like a male Karen, unable to mind his own business. No I would not wear a mask while hiking. That's a dumb as wearing a mask while alone on a car.

I see many folks wearing masks on the trails in the whites and not just on short walks in the woods. A friend I hike with wears a mask. I have one in my pocket and will put one on if I get into a crowded area but generally try to avoid those places. I do take care to step well off the trail when I encounter other hikers going in the opposite direction.

BTW in cold weather, I was out on cold dry day a few weeks ago, it was about 35 degrees when we got out of the car and a bit crowded at the trailhead so I masked up. I kept it on for a couple of miles as the mask kept my chin nose and mouth warm It was two layer cotton fabric but the relative humidity was low so it kept dry. I have a few Merino wool based masks on order for colder weather.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 11-21-2020 at 07:05.

Default would you wear a mask when hiking?

My fear is that masks will become standard dress, whether they are needed or not. Like it would be fashionably unacceptable to not wear one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not while hiking alone, and only when near another group of hikers get near.
    The masks will freeze up when it gets colder from our breath.

1. My buff is quickly and easily pulled up into mask mode when passing other hikers.
    2. My personal space usually has a definitive and repellant odor.
    3. If you get too close - I carry two pointy sticks.

I got a Buff, which can be used for face covering and other things, but I also cary a face mask just in case I go to towns.

Folks, the US ran up a million cases this week alone. Using the current numbers of deaths and positive case numbers, the estimated fatality rate is 2.1%. That means about 20,000 people infected this week will likely die. I certainly won't spit on you, but can you just put the nonsense about not wearing masks to bed already. There are 250,000 people dead in the US. It's estimated that 44% of cases are asymptomatic, silent spreaders without masks. There are vaccines on the near horizon, suck it up for a months. When the call goes out, true Americans sacrifice for one another. That's true Patriotism.

In some states, you are required to wear a mask under various conditions including outdoor public spaces where you can't socially distance. If you can't follow the law WB is not the place to post about it.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

++ New Posts ++