WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

I hacked the Reactor stove for remote canister use by using a 3 leg stove support. The canister has 70% propane 30% tip cleaner. I'll be using it this winter at -20 to -30 degrees up in northern Minnesota. I am able to simmer with it also. The control valve system allows for the low flow of fuel. It's going to be a great snow melter. I'm amazed how windproof the stove is. I'll be using a windscreen anyway for more efficiency.PXL_20201129_203802202.jpgPXL_20201129_203842572.jpg

PXL_20201201_221833635.jpg

Default Q on "cozys"

I've just made my first cozys from reflectix-like material from an old car sunshade. Old enough that the mylar was separating from the bubble wrap on a lot of it. Fortunately I had enough of it in good shape to do the job on a couple aluminum pots.

Both pots have lids, but I've not done a cozy lid since I don't generally do FBC or other rehydrating foods that require the pot to sit around and stay warm while the food continues to soften up. I pretty much just start eating or drinking from the pot soon after it comes off the stove. And I have a Fancy Feast double-wall wicking-style alcohol stove that doesn't benefit from fuel savings - you burn what you put into it. So there's no benefit to shortening the cooking time in favor of letting the pot sit (and trying to keep it warm with a "full coverage" cozy).

Consequently, I didn't bother making an insulated cover or topper for the lid of the pots. Is there any reason I should do so anyway? Thanks.

IMG_4391.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    I’m a knitter, spinner, and weaver. A few years ago, I bought some very expensive qiviut (musk ox) fiber to spin and made a knitted hat. To be honest, it’s no warmer than any of my other hand knit, wool hats. I know the experts say it’s the warmest fiber but my perception is different. If it’s the warmest, it’s not obvious to me.

The warmest mittens I’ve ever owned are my dog hair mittens made from the fur of my beloved Norwegian Elkhound. I can only wear them in the coldest weather. They are mixed with sheep’s wool, probably 80/20 and have no doggy smell.

Human hair isn’t easy or practical to spin as it lacks the scales/hooks which makes it stick together. It’s like trying to braid spaghetti.

its a shame you cant use human hair... barbers throw out tons of it. there has to be a use for it. maybe stuffing mittens?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++