Default Need help from females

My wife needs a new down puffy. What do you girls recommend for warmth down to the 20’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my Patagonia down sweater (it’s a jacket). The nano puff gets good reviews but I believe it’s not as warm. Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer has a lot of fans but it’s pricey.

Journal Entries

I have 3 puffies. The warmest one is from LLBean, with Downtek (water repellant down). I expect that other brands are just as good.
    I supplement with a separate down hood (the kind with ear flaps) and down slippers, and I usually carry a fleece jacket or vest as well.

I don't have a specific coat for you, but do regret not getting one with a hood if that is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    I love my Patagonia down sweater (it’s a jacket). The nano puff gets good reviews but I believe it’s not as warm. Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer has a lot of fans but it’s pricey.
    hmmm.... down doesn't stay warm when wet. Have you tried the Patagonia Nano Puff? That's synthetic. I need a new jacket this year as well. I do like that the down sweater is made of ripstop polyester.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I second the recommendation of a hood. I even use mine in the summer in the high mountains, and that attached hood makes such a difference when it’s chilly and there’s a breeze.

make sure you get one that looks fashionably acceptable. my wife refused to wear her feathered friends downjacket because of the michelin-look.

good thing is, i got to wear the jacket for the last 20 years.
    happy trails
    lucky luke

I third recommend a hood i really wish I would have gotten my ghost whisperer with a hood.

FWIW, I'm a man's opinion....
    Last edited by JNI64; 11-21-2020 at 02:00.

I think I have tried most every puffy out there. There are a lot of good ones. It is expensive, but I currently wear a Feathered Friends EOS. Although pricey, my last FF Helio that I bought in 2013 is still going strong (mid-weight) jacket. I like the larger baffles (too much dead weight in the tiny quilted jackets for me) and it has more Down than just about any other jacket in the light weight group. It also has a hood, which I can't imagine not having when backpacking in a chilly climate.

[QUOTE=stilllife;2276860]My wife needs a new down puffy. What do you girls recommend for warmth down to the 20’s.

Hi there -- Unless it's a holiday gift and a surprise, why don't you let her do her own research and pick her own puffy? When we're not hiking, much of the fun comes in planning, preparing, and gearing up. Shopping for the puffy encourages trail dreaming. You'd be surprised at what gear heads female hikers are or come to be. Every little bit of research into clothing or gear equates to a little more helpful knowledge for surviving and thriving in the backcountry.

I use a Marmot. They make good women's hiking coats. I prefer one with a hood. If you go hoodless then make sure you purchase a ski mask. They will keep your head warm even at night while you sleep.

I second the Feathered Friends EOS if warmth is the priority. It is the warmest puffy I own. Katabatic also has new Down jackets that I'm going to dry. They have even more Down than the EOS, and the Tarn does not have that Michelin looks like the EOS. The Tin Cup does, but the lighter-weight Tarn does not. :-)

I very much like my REI Magma 850 Down Hoodie (women's version also available for Odd Women Out). Nothing really keeps you warm when wet, but the Magma has a better-than-average down loft of 850, treated to be hydrophobic to repel water, as well as a DWR finish on the nylon shell. It has been well reviewed. Probably comparable to the Patagonia hoodies (more of a Jacket than a Parka), but for a lot less $.

++ New Posts ++