WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default ST Hike #2 - Charit Creek to Peters Mountain

Not a ton to say about this stretch! GPS once again proved to be very handy.
    Started Friday night with a low in the 30's and Saturday morning awake to some light frost.
    Charit Creek Lodge is by appointment only due to the ol covid crap so we had to bypass that.
    The trail in between station camp and Charit creek lodge has been rerouted above the creek so no more creek crossings for hikers.
    Saw a Bald Eagle along the Big South Fork River
    Camping spots were very limited in this stretch with very very few designated type spots. Once around divide road north the camping spots really increased.
    Blazing not the best for stretches, and really good in other stretches.
    For the 2 miles or so south of Peters Mountain TH the trail path is a creek. Just embrace the wet, or have some good water shoes and leave them on until the creek disappears.
    Good parking at both Trailheads for this section. Divide road has many turnoffs but is a solid FS road year round. Once you hit KY the road name turns to Peters Mountain Rd.
    There was no state crossing sign for TN/ KY but my group has now completed the TN section and 60 Miles of the ST!
    Next trip is planned for January if fair weather permits
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Hi Gambit, glad to see this post. i need to complete some of those sections. i was just up at the Station Camp Overlook last Weds. when you said "your group", are you hiking the Sheltowee Trace Challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by needlefish View Post
    Hi Gambit, glad to see this post. i need to complete some of those sections. i was just up at the Station Camp Overlook last Weds. when you said "your group", are you hiking the Sheltowee Trace Challenge?
    I am aware of the challenge but no I am not. I am planning and organizing logistics for myself and 2 friends, to all three complete the trail in a series of 11-12 section hikes all averaging to 28-30 miles.

Let me know if you have any questions about this stretch while its still fresh in my brain.

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

I did this section in the last ten days. I recommend the short side trip to Maude's Crack. It's fun and the overlook at the top is superb.

thanks Gambit, i'm sure i'll have some questions. trying to get on trail before thanksgiving.

thanks Gambit, i'm sure i'll have some questions. trying to get on trail before thanksgiving.
    Needle not much to this section. Probably less than 2000ft of gain...
    Lots and lots of water. I carried 1L the entire trip and always had plenty for refill
    The trail is not the best blazed through here all the time. Some stretches are blazed very well, while others arent at all. I would strongly suggest GPX files or at the least paper map to confirm choice of trail at 3-4 locations north of divide road.

thanks Gambit, i just received the updated southern section maps. i don't have much left in TN to do. basically from gentlemens swimming hole to honey creek

thanks Gambit, i just received the updated southern section maps. i don't have much left in TN to do. basically from gentlemens swimming hole to honey creek
    And then on to kentucky to finish the rest yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    And then on to kentucky to finish the rest yes?
    Yes sir, that's the plan!

Does anyone know if there is good swimming and fishing on this section? Is there any knowledge about specific campsites (with approximate mm) south of divide road?

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Does anyone know if there is good swimming and fishing on this section? Is there any knowledge about specific campsites (with approximate mm) south of divide road?
    Let me review my memory and will update you on this TJ

Update: Friday Night we camped .8 mile from the charit creek lodge. Room for many tents or hammocks here no water.

Sat night we stealth camped within a mile south of divide road, water available for several miles south of divide road. We went this far due to lack of good camping options and ended up just stealthing on side of trail due to darkness.

This section, for our logistics, did not have alot of tenting options. Water was plentiful but that was in November.

Swimming: Lots of creek/ stream foot soaking opportunity (In nov) and the ST follows the BSF Cumberland River for alot of the TN trail but not alot on this section.
    When you pass charit creek lodge you will then be hiking towards Station Camp Creek area. If you follow the signs and take a side trip to Station Camp (about 3500ft detour) you could swim in the BSF Cumberland River
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 06-18-2021 at 10:44.

Thanks Gambit, that’s really helpful!

I just hiked this section and thought it was rough, mainly the first 8 miles along the creek and river. The multi use trail is a shoe-sucking mud pit and littered with flood debris. The river is stagnant, the water not having anywhere to go. Add 90+*, high humidity, and no breeze and the thought of bailing starts entering your mind. Thank goodness the trail is much easier after turning away from the river. The blowdowns and overgrowth on the last 7 miles were fairly bad also but manageable.

At this time, there’s no camping opportunities until you get close to Maud’s Crack. South of Divide Rd., I only saw three established campsites, the first one is about 1/2-3/4 mile south of Maud’s Crack and there’s one or two, flattish LNT opportunities at Maud’s.

I’m either stupidly stubborn or stubbornly stupid to have hiked it this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    I just hiked this section and thought it was rough, mainly the first 8 miles along the creek and river. The multi use trail is a shoe-sucking mud pit and littered with flood debris. The river is stagnant, the water not having anywhere to go. Add 90+*, high humidity, and no breeze and the thought of bailing starts entering your mind. Thank goodness the trail is much easier after turning away from the river. The blowdowns and overgrowth on the last 7 miles were fairly bad also but manageable.

At this time, there’s no camping opportunities until you get close to Maud’s Crack. South of Divide Rd., I only saw three established campsites, the first one is about 1/2-3/4 mile south of Maud’s Crack and there’s one or two, flattish LNT opportunities at Maud’s.

I’m either stupidly stubborn or stubbornly stupid to have hiked it this time of year.
    For all of these same reasons I have postponed anymore ST trips until end of September.

-The trail becomes pretty overgrown during the summer, especially in the close to river areas

-The Kentucky humidity is quite oppressing

-The ST is just way too pleasant in Fall/Early Spring to not take advantage of it then. We hope to finish it up by first of spring

++ New Posts ++