WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

How's this for focus-Vaccines will make life on the trail better for everybody.............

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    How's this for focus-Vaccines will make life on the trail better for everybody.............
    Let's clarify a little and then leave it at that so we don't have a big Vaxxer anti-Vaxxer debate. Effective and safe vaccines widely accepted will make the trail better for everybody.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I'm curious if GutHook will have updates on businesses and such or if that will take time to kick in. Is the person/group who works on that doing anything proactively with regards to contacting "existing" businesses and seeing if they will be open next year?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I can't comment directly on A.T. conditions (I live 3,000 miles away from the trail), but I am hoping to complete The Great Outdoors Challenge in May. This is a backpacking trip across Scotland, going from one of about 10 starting locations on the west coast, and walking to the east coast. Everyone picks their own route, but it does have a thru-hiking vibe. Darwin and others did it a few years back (Youtube link).

Last year it was cancelled because of Covid-19. I hope, hope that it goes ahead this year. I'll throw up some pictures if happens.

The vaccine should help, though how long it takes to roll out may be a factor. I'm sure health care workers and the vulnerable will be treated first, so hikers (who in general can be assumed to be in good health) may be further down the list. Even if so, the overall risk should be decreasing, particularly for the most vulnerable.

On a different note, I hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving! This is the holiday I suspect most ex-pats miss the most...
    (trailname: Paul-from-Scotland)

Images

Given all the recent vaccine news, I'm fairly optimistic that by mid-spring, the Covid issue will be fading fast.

If this is true, my wife and I will be doing a nice big AT LASH, trying to finish the trail for her (most of VA, then CT/MA/VT) in the late spring/early summer. then, we've got two multi-week European treks planned (UK and Italy).

If Covid is still a huge deal, we'll just wait another year. For us, the social aspects and town visits are a huge part of AT enjoyment, and restrictions of these would be too big of a downer. So in that case we'll just did what we did this year, hike our butts off in Colorado and Wyoming, staying completely away from crowded areas. We're working on the 2nd highest 100 peaks in CO (13,600'-13,800') and knocking 30-40 of those off next summer would be a great consolation prize.

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I'm hearing that vaccines will be released by mid December.I am hoping that by June all this will be in the rear view mirror....unless and of course,something else happens..............
    I think the pandemic has given some folks a lesson about delayed gratification. I hope everybody had a good Thanksgiving.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

FWIW, the ATC thru hiker registration pages show generally fewer than 2019, and 2020. ( I’d assume 2020 numbers were people registered pre-Covid)

I would guess I’m not that unusual in that this year I really wanted to register—a shout against the virus, homebound boredom, whatever. So more people who would register in any year, will have done so earlier this year. Even with the issue of vaccine timing, I think people would register in hopes the timing works out.

So, the fact that fewer are registered now makes me think it might be a lighter year.

Lots of conjecture there and room for “On the other hand...”

Images

So, the fact that fewer are registered now makes me think it might be a lighter year.

yeah....

but it's not require to register to do a thru hike...

there may be fewer thru hikers next year due to financial reasons. all the "hopefuls" who had hoped to save up this year for a hike next year and may not have been able to. some of those who had planned to hike this year may also have trouble simply pushing it off to next year. If I were to "guess" I would say there will be less use next year from thru hikers but possibly more weekenders.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

The AT is no more then a couple hour drive away for a lot of people up and down the east coast. Day/weekend use will likely continue to be high at least through next summer. If travel restrictions are still in place and you want a long outing, section hiking your home state would be the logical thing to do. Plus you keep your money in your home state.

No doubt there will be thru hikers. Maybe 100's instead of 1000's? Not nearly as many seniors as in the recent past?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    yeah....

but it's not require to register to do a thru hike...
    Of course not. I never registered for my two AT springer-starts. But, I would think that every year roughly the same percentage of AT hikers do register, whatever that percentage is. If this is true (who knows), it would then follow that if registration is down, hiker traffic would be down too.
    Last edited by Alligator; 12-07-2020 at 22:48. Reason: We'll handle moderating, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Of course not. I never registered for my two AT springer-starts. But, I would think that every year roughly the same percentage of AT hikers do register, whatever that percentage is. If this is true (who knows), it would then follow that if registration is down, hiker traffic would be down too.

(Careful about Covid shaming folks.... someone is going to speak up about that soon...)
    I’ve seen somewhere where it’s estimated half register for their thru and half don’t. I was expecting this year to have a slightly larger class than past years. Time will tell I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The AT is no more then a couple hour drive away for a lot of people up and down the east coast. Day/weekend use will likely continue to be high at least through next summer. If travel restrictions are still in place and you want a long outing, section hiking your home state would be the logical thing to do. Plus you keep your money in your home state.

No doubt there will be thru hikers. Maybe 100's instead of 1000's? Not nearly as many seniors as in the recent past?
    What if your state only has 3 miles of AT !

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post

multiple roundtrip hikes between the state lines to achieve the mileage you want......

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Move to another state
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

And just think all them comedians out of work
    (Though there's two answers to my question thanks guys)

I wouldn't be surprised if the early international numbers are down, given the various restrictions in place...

I've been looking at my Yosemite map, dreaming of a PCT section in the early summer. Realistically, this might be a challenge, and I don't think I'd be comfortable with such a long journey (that is, travel to the U.S.) until I'm vaccinated. The good news is that the vaccine is rolling here today! I'm not first in line*, but I'm not last either, so we'll see how it goes.

* People in nursing homes and front-line medical staff are first, in case you were wondering.
    Last edited by futureatwalker; 12-08-2020 at 05:44.

Quote Originally Posted by futureatwalker View Post
    ........... The good news is that the vaccine is rolling here today! I'm not first in line*, but I'm not last either, so we'll see how it goes............
    Any idea how long it will be before you might get the vaccine? Let us know when you get it and how it was if you don't mind.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by futureatwalker View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the early international numbers are down, given the various restrictions in place...

I've been looking at my Yosemite map, dreaming of a PCT section in the early summer. Realistically, this might be a challenge, and I don't think I'd be comfortable with such a long journey (that is, travel to the U.S.) until I'm vaccinated. The good news is that the vaccine is rolling here today! I'm not first in line*, but I'm not last either, so we'll see how it goes.

* People in nursing homes and front-line medical staff are first, in case you were wondering.
    Yeah, it's all over the US news about the UK starting vaccinations today, very cool, I think we're only a week behind and we found out my wife will be in the front of the line (works in health care).

Anyway, if things DO calm down by summer, have you considered a nice section of the CDT or even the Colorado trail? Covid aside, there are less pressures from fires, etc, in New Mexico and Colorado right now, who knows though by June/July. Best of all though is no need for any permits, at least for most of the CDT (a few national parks the exception). I was wanting to hop on a nice PCT section myself, but will probably stick to NM, CO and WY this year. I just don't want to mess with permits right now, the CA permit system is too wonky for now.

We're still planning on heading over YOUR way, Ireland and Scotland in May (for trekking), it doesn't hurt or cost anything to plan, we'd of course only come if legal AND safe.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Any idea how long it will be before you might get the vaccine? Let us know when you get it and how it was if you don't mind.
    Yes, this is a little unclear. It's the Pfizer vaccine now, but I suspect the Oxford vaccine (which is easier to transport and store) will come next and be more generally available here. I'm in the sixth (of nine) priority groups.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Anyway, if things DO calm down by summer, have you considered a nice section of the CDT or even the Colorado trail?...
    We're still planning on heading over YOUR way, Ireland and Scotland in May (for trekking), it doesn't hurt or cost anything to plan, we'd of course only come if legal AND safe.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've watched Darwin's recent Colorado trail hike, and it looked good.

Do P.M. me if your plans for Scotland trekking mature...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++