WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Looking For Information on Mountain Master Packs (c1950s-60s)

Looking for some help from the collected wisdom here about Mountain Master packs. I received this flyer/catalog in a larger lot of vintage catalogs and would like to know more about them as its an interesting design.

In a lot of catalogs I got this week I found this one from Mountain Master of Riverside, CA. What you see here is precisely all that I know of this company. I actually know more about the company to which the catalog was sent, Raupp Camp Center in Southfield, MI.

What we do know is that there is no zip code on the address for Mountain Master, which places it before 1963; and an alpha-numeric phone number for Raupp (no Area Code), which places it sometime before 1962.

I can't find any ads in the mountaineering magazines I have at my disposal, and a search through Newspapers.com only comes up with some ads for Raupp in the middle 1950s. I'm guessing that Mountain Master was a cottage vendor level shop attempting to make improvements on Dick Kelty's design in the same manner as A16 and existing in the same area and time, marketed towards mountaineers. The fact that the catalog was mailed from California to Michigan indicates that there was some nationwide advertising, we just have to find it.

I hope some folks here have more information they could share. I find this pack most interesting as it has what appears to be the first Load Lifters on a modern backpack long before they became standard on most packs, but at about the same time as Greg Lowe was developing his Expedition. which also featured load lifters.
    CCI11132020.jpgCCI11132020_0001.jpgCCI11132020_0002.jpgCCI11132020_0003.jpg

Yah. I've seen both Ebay auctions, both a bit pricey once shipping is included, one insanely priced. The pbase images are good, thanks. I di find out they went out of business in 1974.

See if there is any information here:
    http://www.oregonphotos.com/Backpack...volution1.html

My Jensen Pack built in Victor, Idaho in the early 70s is listed.
    Good luck!
    Wayne

++ New Posts ++