WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Need sleepin bag and pad for february start nobo

Hey y'all, I'm planning on starting a thru-hike in mid-late february and need an effective, affordable sleeping set up that'll keep me warm at night. I currently have a 20 deg REI TrailBreak Bag and a Nemo Switchback, which I know won't handle those single digit wet nights. I don't have much intel yet on sleeping bags but I figure a 5 degree is gonna be what I need. I've been seeing a lot about Thermarest Xtherms and Xlites; those are pretty expensive but I'm not at all opposed to spending the cash for them

You started a thread on this on 11-3-20 already

pm sent... sleeping bag available

I have a Zpacks Solo 5F, Green, Broad, X-long bag. Only used one night in the woods.
    Paid $419 new. Take $250.

I started Feb 20 with a synthetic MH 5 degree bag. It was not very cold for the first three weeks, but the mass of the bag took up at least 2/3 of my pack. I swapped it out for an existing 20 degree synthetic that I already had when I got out of the Smokies. The extra room was much appreciated. I did hike in some low teen nights over the next couple of weeks (coldest days of my hike), but always found a way to use hostels or add layers of clothing to make it without issue. If I was buying a bag for it again, I would probably look for a bag with a comfort level of 20 to 25 degrees. If you are willing to buy 850 or better down, you can have the compactability and the security of warmth at low temps. Having said that, I am pretty thrifty and would just start with my existing 20 degree synthetic bag or down quilt.

The 20 degree Trailbreak is too bulky for a thru, relative to the warmth it gives you. I believe if you need a bag below 20 degrees, you should go down. At 20 or above, synthetic is an option for the majority of hikers, but if you are carrying it for 5-6 months, go down. I have never purchased a well researched backpacking item that was on the top fringe of my budget and ever regretted it. For a thru hiker, I think tent, pack and sleeping bag are where you can pay money and get a payback in weight. Honestly, light weight backpacks are really not that much more expensive than good weekend packs. You need to make sure you have you pack weight controlled to get a light weight pack. 99% of thru hikers will figure that out if they stay on the trail.

I adjusted my sleep system the last month of my SOBO by buying a second base layer (260 wt Icebreaker) but kept my 30F quilt. 4.2R pad. Wore both sets to bed. I’m on he cold sleeping side when it’s cool to cold, and had no problems. I figured it would give me a little more flexibility both night and day. And there were a few chilly days where that was appreciated.

Got an exped synmat for sale check it out in the selling used gear forum

Also have a 2go systems therme bag..

both in new condition... $200 takes em away

++ New Posts ++