WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Garmin inreach v Ham radio

What are your thoughts on the 2?
    Last edited by Fowlfarm; 11-12-2020 at 22:32.

If you mean "Ham Radio" then there is no comparison. Garmin Inreach is a satellite based communications (text), GPS navigation system and emergency help calling device. Ham Radio is a hobby, which uses radios. To use a Ham Radio, you need to take an exam and be licensed.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I'm a licensed Ham as well as an owner of the Garmin inReach. I've taken my small handheld Ham radio on backpacking trips for fun to see what stations/repeaters I could connect with but as Slo-go'en said, I depend on my Garmin for communicating in areas without cell coverage.

I wouldn't leave my inReach at home in favor of taking my Ham radio if emergency comms might be needed. I might take both in some situations but I personally can't think of a situation where I would choose the radio over the inReach.

There is a sub-group activity in the Ham radio community (of which there are many sub-groups) called SOTA [Summit On The Air]. The idea is to carry a ham radio to the top of a mountain and see how many people you can contact. Using the Shortwave band, you can contact random people all over the world.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    There is a sub-group activity in the Ham radio community (of which there are many sub-groups) called SOTA [Summit On The Air]. The idea is to carry a ham radio to the top of a mountain and see how many people you can contact.
    And speaking on behalf of SOTA activators world-wide, I thank you for your many contributions to portable ham radio!

My little ol' MTR-3B on Mt Sterling in the GSMNP a couple of weeks ago.
    P1040616 by Patrick Harris, on Flickr

73, pat - ki4svm

Thanks for the information it is all very helpful

++ New Posts ++