WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Looking for a winter sleeping bag and pad

Hey y'all, I'm planning on starting a thru-hike in mid-late february and need an effective, affordable sleeping set up that'll keep me warm at night. I currently have a 20 deg REI TrailBreak Bag and a Nemo Switchback, which I know won't handle those single digit wet nights. I don't have much intel yet on sleeping bags but I figure a 5 degree is gonna be what I need. I've been seeing a lot about Thermarest Xtherms and Xlites; those are pretty expensive but I'm not at all opposed to spending the cash for them. Any places where cheap used gear can be found would be greatly appreciated as well; I'm looking through the used gear forums on here and craigslist as well. I greatly appreciate everyone on this forum.

I have an Xtherm and it has performed great in colder weather. I know there are other options, but honestly, I don't think you can do better than buying one, just make sure you buy the size that suits you. I've got the large, max, not because I'm tall, but because I don't want any chance of rolling off. The extra ounce or two is a small price to pay to have comfort.

You can cut corners in other ways, but I would not do so on your sleep system and comfort for a thru-hike.

Removing duplicate.
    Last edited by Nanatuk; 11-03-2020 at 11:41. Reason: Duplicate

I have a Western Mountaineering Versalite 10 degree bag, 33 oz's that served me well in March on the PCT in snow and temps below freezing. I slept in my baselayer and socks very comfortably. Pad was the standard Thermarest neoair uninsulated, 12 oz.

If I was going out for winter camping between zero and 32, I would upgrade the pad for more R value. A cheap choice is the Klymit Static V insulated mat at 25 oz's $70 bucks. A very expensive option is a neotherm exolite, $200+ but 15 oz.

Maybe going cheap and swapping out the pad when it gets warmer might make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Pastor Bryon View Post
    I have an Xtherm and it has performed great in colder weather. I know there are other options, but honestly, I don't think you can do better than buying one, just make sure you buy the size that suits you. I've got the large, max, not because I'm tall, but because I don't want any chance of rolling off. The extra ounce or two is a small price to pay to have comfort.

You can cut corners in other ways, but I would not do so on your sleep system and comfort for a thru-hike.
    I love mine as well , well worth the $ .
    As far as sleeping bags I've went with a quilt 0' with 4oz extra down good to -20 and beyond. Snaps up to the knees and cinches shut at the bottom and cinches at the top and has 1 snap. The quilt is just over 1lb.

Combined with the X-Them im good well below 0 .

Garlic
    Images

I see you used the words "effective, affordable." Good thing you didn't add "lightweight," because we all know you can have only two of those three features.

If you don't care about the weight, you can throw more inexpensive items at the problem, like an overquilt and a second sleeping pad, both of which you can ship home as the weather gets warmer. Or you could send the bag home and use the quilt through the summer.

Use this coming winter to experiment, shop for sales, and/or make your own gear.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by cmax4 View Post
    Hey y'all, I'm planning on starting a thru-hike in mid-late february and need an effective, affordable sleeping set up that'll keep me warm at night. I currently have a 20 deg REI TrailBreak Bag and a Nemo Switchback, which I know won't handle those single digit wet nights. I don't have much intel yet on sleeping bags but I figure a 5 degree is gonna be what I need. I've been seeing a lot about Thermarest Xtherms and Xlites; those are pretty expensive but I'm not at all opposed to spending the cash for them. Any places where cheap used gear can be found would be greatly appreciated as well; I'm looking through the used gear forums on here and craigslist as well. I greatly appreciate everyone on this forum.
    Juma has a exped down mat 9 for $75 on here right now.
    I looked it up sell for $220 + good to-34 it states.

Xtherm Large. I’m only 5’ 8”. Human beings were not designed to sleep on 20” wide mats.
    Western Mountaineering Alpinlite and Antelope. The Alpinlite has been personally verified as comfortable at 15 degrees. With appropriate clothing inside the bag. The Antelope is substantially warmer.
    If I were starting over, the Versalite would be a good one bag Zero degree solution.
    Clothes worn inside the bag are critical!
    Be warm. Be safe.
    Wayne

For really cold nights, I prefer having two pads and double sleeping bags.
    Developing this idea further, you could use your setup plus an extra pad and a second bag, and send back home stuff as the nights get warmer.

3 important components to consider: pad, bag, and sleepwear.

There is a new insulation measure standards for pads; this article is worth your consideration:
    https://sectionhiker.com/sleeping-pad-r-values/
    According to the article, Klymit has not yet updated their pads' R-values, and it appears to me that they're still using the old standard. I have had a Klymit pad before, and I am no longer a fan.
    Full disclosure: I use CCF pads only, no inflatables.

Bag: Down rules as far as weight and packed size. In the arid west, I think it's a no brainer of a choice. I'm less sure about the humid east, and I especially don't like treated down. In my experience, it clumps, leaving voids that are effectively uninsulated. If you choose down (and most do), you'd be wise to allow time to air it out daily if possible. Esp. on sunny days. Accumulated moisture will eventually compromise your loft and, by extension, your bag's insulative ability.
    Full disclosure: I have both down and synthetic bags.

Sleepwear: often overlooked. IIRC the EN standard for sleeping bag ratings assumes that the sleeper is wearing considerably insulating sleepwear. In my experience (and others' testing), fleece PJs are the warmest. They're pretty light too, but bulky. I think Duofolds are much less bulky but a little heavier. A hat is key too, unless you can reliably keep your head in the hood (I can't). DRY warm socks (dedicated for sleep, if you can). You can experiment with what sleepwear works for you, but keep in mind it's an important part of the whole thing to keep you warm.
    Full disclosure: my sleepwear choices vary widely based on expected temps. From fleece all over, to Duofolds, to thin single layer long underwear, to t-shirt and boxer briefs in summer. Sometimes with no bag, just a sleeping bag liner.

In general, my stuff is bulky and heavy but very reliable and highly insulating. As a long distance hiker you may need to make other choices to suit your pack capacity and food resupply strategy. And with any luck you'll need less insulation than someone like me.

Follow up: Just want to emphasize, with bag ratings, even EN Comfort ratings, don't expect to be comfortable in those bags down to that temperature if you are skimping on the sleeping pad r-value or on your sleepwear.
    Last edited by Time Zone; 11-05-2020 at 10:05.

I see that mat has been reduced to $58 shipped. Not a bad deal at all.

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...t-9-75-shipped

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Juma has a exped down mat 9 for $75 on here right now.
    I looked it up sell for $220 + good to-34 it states.

A second the the WM Versalite. I call mine my big green egg. I'm always cold and am toasty in this bag. It's pricey but worth it. I could never find a pad that I didn't feel the cold from the ground. Finally bought the Thermarest XTherm. It's an additional 4 oz. but now I'm warm.

++ New Posts ++