WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Heated gloves?

Quote Originally Posted by PGH1NC View Post
    . . . I have been using those hand warmers. . . They work fine at a football game or walking on smooth flat surfaces. . . But holding on to poles on slippery winter surfaces and trails requires gripping the pole grips. . . Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.
    I think what you are running into is that, aside from non-critical situations (i.e. where a failed electric gloves won't lead to catastrophic outcomes) and situations where the length of use is short, electric gloves just don't work or even come close to doing so. So, everyone is trying to help out with other options instead of answering your question. The original question is really a non-starter for most of us that choose to practice outdoor activities that last longer and need more reliability than any electric glove can, or likely will, provide in the near future if ever. AND, there are very effective alternatives that work well even for people with Raynaud's Syndrome.

FWIW: I have climbed quite a bit with a friend with Raynaud's Syndrome in temperatures down to -8 degrees F and 40 mph winds (I'll let you figure out the wind-chill). In the end, the best solutions for managing hands in all-day long cold hiking and climbing scenarios is a layering system that can include chemical warmers and surgical gloves as needed. It takes some fiddling to figure out what works and how to make it work best for each person in each scenario.

As noted above, surgical gloves next to skin help significantly in extreme conditions.
    Thin liner gloves next to skin work well in most conditions with hand warmers placed at the front of the wrist and the back of the hand as needed.
    Handwarmers can be held in place, over the liner glove, with the stretchy cut-off top of an old dress sock with a thumb hole.
    Finally, put on your outer insulating glove (or mitten in colder conditions). And yeah, good expedition-warmth mittens and/or gloves are expensive, maybe as expensive as any of the better electric gloves without the risk of running out of batteries after a couple hours.

And, if you haven't already figured it out, the trick to effectively activating the chemical hand-warmers is to open them up a good 30 to 60 minutes before you put them into your gloves or shoes as they consume a fair bit of O2 to activate well, and if they are put into gloves or shoes too soon, they never get particularly warm.

Finally, if you just want your hands warm for a few ski runs or a ball game, go electric if you want.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Go to Harbor Freight and get the winter mechanic gloves.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++