WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sheltowee Trace Coming to Guthooks Soon

After some persistent requests Atlas guides has been working with the STA to transfer, compile and create data to have an Atlas Guide of the Sheltowee Trace.
    All data transfer is scheduled to be complete by mid December.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Leonidas

Interesting, I may have to move the Trace up my list.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

In 25 words or more,
    What’s a good to best week long Section of the Sheltowee Trace?
    For a Geezer?
    Thanks!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    In 25 words or more,
    What’s a good to best week long Section of the Sheltowee Trace?
    For a Geezer?
    Thanks!
    Wayne
    Wayne,
    I have very little experience on the ST thus far but I would say that it would be hard to go wrong with starting at southern terminus and walk north for a week. First 30 miles had 2800 ft of gain and the entire trail is similar....Its a stroll

Also....Your not a geezer, just experienced

Thanks Gambit!
    After reading your trip report, I realized that I should explore closer to home.
    My wife can shuttle me to a myriad of trails within a 1 hour radius of the house.
    All I have to worry about is if she picks me up when I am finished!
    Good luck on the ST!
    Wayne

December would be fantastic. I’m starting the hiker challenge in January.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    Elkins mind you, this is when data transfer from the STA to Atlas Guides(guthooks) will be expected to be complete.
    Then it is up to Atlas Guides to format that data into their app and set up for purchase.

This ball got rolling because I emailed atlas guides about once a month for a year asking if they had any update on putting the Sheltowee trace on their available guides list. Their response was always: We do not have the data for that trail. So I got into contact with the STA who has all the data that is available for something like this and they were happy to start compiling it and sending it over to atlas guides. NOW, that all being said, the downfall was going to be pictures and micro points along the trail like water sources and camping spots. SO I volunteered to document all of that the best I could during my completion so others would benefit after me. Atlas Guides was on bourd with this and we kept good communication through September and then....nothing. The replies quit coming in and I through my hands up as a volunteer. I inquired with STA after that and STA's statement was "we are planning to have the data transfer complete to Guthooks by mid December"

I will keep this posted on any info I hear from either party

Images

I’m starting the hiker challenge in January.

tell me more about this challenge, please.....

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    tell me more about this challenge, please.....
    What is the Hiker Challenge?

​Take 340 miles, the current length of the Trace, divide those miles by 11 and then walk that distance once a month and you have the Challenge. The goal is to hike the entire Trace from end to end over 1 year. Each month, two opportunities are planned for you to join a team of like-minded adventurers on a Saturday and Sunday hike of the Trace. To keep the miles at a level everyone can complete and find somewhat enjoyable, we have added one more hike to make it 12 monthly hikes. The 2 day schedule is posted below.

Friday night campouts are planned near the shuttle point to enable participants who are over 3 hours away to come in early and avoid a long drive before dawn. The first Saturday in December, we all come together to share some stories and celebrate those who have completed the Challenge and become End to Enders.​

The history of the Hiker Challenge dates back to the earlier years of the STA. During a weekend hike out to Furnace Arch, south of Clear Creek, Steve Barbour, Executive Director of the STA, and members Dave Dummer and Mike Campbell from Morehead were forced to stop at the Arch to get out of the pouring rain. While sitting around that evening, Dave Dummer mentioned the idea of hiking a piece of the Trace, one weekend a month for 11 months and calling it the Hiker Challenge.

Over 400 participants have completed the Challenge. After 9 years, enthusiasm is still strong as each January a fresh group of backpackers (and a few who have already completed the Challenge) arrive at the starting point.
    2021 Participation Costs

The Hiker Challenge offers shuttle services for every hike. There will also be a support vehicle to aid in occasional trail magic. The STA volunteers will give clear directions and instructions for every section. In the winter months, a "5-pound-drop" is in effect in order to lighten the load in the months where one's pack would be heavier. Along with these services, the hiker challenge offers the opportunity to meet like-minded people and make new friends.

Pre-​Hiker Challenge Registration $30 (One Time)
    2-Day Weekend $40 (Per Weekend)
    1-Day Only $20 (Per Day)

Orientations Go Online

To limit Covid exposure we are moving all our orientation sessions online. A list of dates is included in the registration. All are from 7 to 9 pm. Waivers are available for past end to enders and those with extensive backpacking experiences.
    Its not for everyone....but is a nice option for those that it is for

I have been told December 5th will be the live date for the app on Atlas Guides, by the STA as well as Atlas Guides. Communication has been very very slow going and the initial guide will more then likely need lots of updating for pictures and locations along the way. We will see

Update from Atlas Guides:

The STA sent me a rough copy of the data they had a few weeks ago, they are currently in the process of processing it. I'm not sure how far along they are but I am hoping they send us a finalized track sometime soon with accompanying waypoints so that I can process them on our end and release the guide. I really appreciate you keeping us honest (both the STA and us at Atlas Guides) so that this guide comes to fruition! I'll let you know when that hand off occurs.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Update from Atlas Guides:

The STA sent me a rough copy of the data they had a few weeks ago, they are currently in the process of processing it. I'm not sure how far along they are but I am hoping they send us a finalized track sometime soon with accompanying waypoints so that I can process them on our end and release the guide. I really appreciate you keeping us honest (both the STA and us at Atlas Guides) so that this guide comes to fruition! I'll let you know when that hand off occurs.

Any updates? I am looking at maybe hitting the Trace in 2022, but I always like to be able to research in advance. I am aware there is other data available before that gets brought up.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    Was your hike affected this weekend by the fugitive hunt? I believe the Hiker Challenge group was hiking in this area (?)

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    Any updates? I am looking at maybe hitting the Trace in 2022, but I always like to be able to research in advance. I am aware there is other data available before that gets brought up.

Guthook is ready to take on the map whenever STA provides them complete information. Smoothing out the track is a time consuming project that has been being worked on since October. The STA states that they hope for a "spring" launch time period.

Guthooks states that the ST is their most asked for trail that is not on their available trails

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Guthook is ready to take on the map whenever STA provides them complete information. Smoothing out the track is a time consuming project that has been being worked on since October. The STA states that they hope for a "spring" launch time period.

Guthooks states that the ST is their most asked for trail that is not on their available trails
    Appreciate it! I worked with them on the Pinhoti after the initial tracks had been done, its definitely time consuming.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I've hiked the ST twice. The place that sells the maps also sells a GPX track you can import into navigation apps. That's all you really need - you can get resupply info from the ST website. It's not difficult at all.

GPX is here: https://www.outragegis.com/trails/shop/

[QUOTE=10-K;2281832]I've hiked the ST twice. The place that sells the maps also sells a GPX track you can import into navigation apps. That's all you really need - you can get resupply info from the ST website. It's not difficult at all.

GPX is here: https://www.outragegis.com/trails/shop/[/QUOTE

I’ve been reading your posts about the STT and they've been very helpful. Nice to see you back on WB.

Pardon my ignorance about technical stuff...I’m a little confused about the gpx track. It says September, 2014. If the trail has changed since then, isn’t it inaccurate? Will it have to be edited after importing it into the app?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

[QUOTE=Traffic Jam;2281860]
    Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I've hiked the ST twice. The place that sells the maps also sells a GPX track you can import into navigation apps. That's all you really need - you can get resupply info from the ST website. It's not difficult at all.

GPX is here: https://www.outragegis.com/trails/shop/[/QUOTE

I’ve been reading your posts about the STT and they've been very helpful. Nice to see you back on WB.

Pardon my ignorance about technical stuff...I’m a little confused about the gpx track. It says September, 2014. If the trail has changed since then, isn’t it inaccurate? Will it have to be edited after importing it into the app?
    My guess is that it's out of date for reroutes and changes in the southern terminus since it was made.

[QUOTE=10-K;2281863]
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    My guess is that it's out of date for reroutes and changes in the southern terminus since it was made.
    That’s what I thought but wasn’t sure. I believe those reroutes are easy to follow so as long as one is aware of the changes, the gpx track would be handy to have.

The gps track is more then 30 miles out of date now. Specifically around the Peters mountain to yamacraw bridge section, complete reroute that is not reflected in the $10 gps track. That is a perk of guthooks is they will keep the map uptodate, as well, the ST (so far in the first 90 miles) does not have alot of adequate camping for more then 1 tent. Guthooks would help in logistics when finding campsites etc

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++