WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

An update. A ranger contacted me today to let me know there have been further reports in the area, so they are starting to look into this a bit more. If you are in the Smokies, keep your eyes peeled and a close watch on your stuff.

Default Homeless/Vagrant

Quote Originally Posted by madgoat View Post
    An update. A ranger contacted me today to let me know there have been further reports in the area, so they are starting to look into this a bit more. If you are in the Smokies, keep your eyes peeled and a close watch on your stuff.
    An obviously homeless/vagrant man sitting along the AT just outside 113, had a dog, was trying to pass out mushrooms from a very large bag of mushrooms, no supplies, water, food, nothing on Sunday morning. Its become a festering problem up and down the AT this year.

Quote Originally Posted by No Match View Post
    An obviously homeless/vagrant man sitting along the AT just outside 113, had a dog, was trying to pass out mushrooms from a very large bag of mushrooms, no supplies, water, food, nothing on Sunday morning. Its become a festering problem up and down the AT this year.
    Animal abuse poor dog !

Quote Originally Posted by madgoat View Post
    Wow! I hope they catch the scumbag and they're dealt with!
    It is what it is.

^^not only that but before they're dealt with "officially" I also hope that they get caught in the act and dealt with accordingly by somebody who's stuff they're trying to take...
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Quote Originally Posted by No Match View Post
    Lots of unemployment and people being kicked out of their homes due to the pandemic/recession. The last time I ran into a lot of homeless/vagrant people on the trail was for a couple of years following the 08 recession.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I wouldn't be a happy camper if somebody stole my food either, but am fortunate enough that I could go resupply. I've been lucky enough in my 48 years never to know the desperation one must feel to resort to stealing bear bags in order to eat. My hope is that if I ever was in that situation someone would "deal with" me with at least a little bit of empathy and compassion.
    -tagg

Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post
    I wouldn't be a happy camper if somebody stole my food either, but am fortunate enough that I could go resupply. I've been lucky enough in my 48 years never to know the desperation one must feel to resort to stealing bear bags in order to eat. My hope is that if I ever was in that situation someone would "deal with" me with at least a little bit of empathy and compassion.
    I'm sure 99% of the time folks would " deal with " you in a alot better way if you were to ask for help as opposed to getting caught stealing, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    I'm sure 99% of the time folks would " deal with " you in a alot better way if you were to ask for help as opposed to getting caught stealing, yes?
    Maybe. But I've seen a lot of (seemingly) homeless people asking for help on sidewalks and street corners while people hurriedly walk past or roll up their windows and pretend they don't see them. How long do you beg without success before you make desperate decisions?

I don't condone stealing, I was simply pointing out that there are different lenses through which the situation can be viewed. In my opinion, stealing a bear bag but not gear sounds like someone who is desperate for food, and I'm just thankful I've never experienced that feeling. But I get that it's easier to get all huffy on the internet about what should happen to the person instead of taking the time to consider what might drive one to do such a thing.
    -tagg

Yeah I get ya tagg, and I concur with point of view. It's tough out there for alot people.

Well the people on street corners tend to get a bad rep since most just turn and go right to the package store or for drugs... and a lot of them wont even except food or you offering to get them something - just $$ for drugs/alcohol. I'm sure not every one but a large portion and then you have the ones that have $$ and are making themselves look homeless. Around here they offer people in need to help work at a soup kitchen or something but most deny all that and stand on the street corners... I'm not saying every one is like that but you have to understand why they have a bad rep and people ignore them.... you can't just expect people to have sympathy, gotta see both sides of that view to. Then that's no way to justify stealing stuff either, A lot of people have the physical ability to do something besides beg and don't and a lot are offered some kind of help but still rather stand on the corner begging trying to make people feel bad instead.

Hurting for food is no justification for stealing somebody else's... what about the person your stealing from in the back country possibly just turning the page and putting them in the same position. How many backpackers eat real good every day and have extra food to spare they aren't counting on....

I wouldn't wish upon anybody being seriously hurt but a good old butt kicking is exactly what anybody stealing somebody else's food out in the back country deserves!
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Journal Entries
    Images

W

Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post
    Well put.

Also good to remember that a significant percentage of homeless have significant/scary mental health issues and perhaps backgrounds a wee bit rougher than our own.

Empathy is great — and there is no shortage of people out there who need help, whether we come upon them or not — but so to is being smart and staying safe.

While the AT may seem like the safest place in America (it is not) best to minimize personal interaction, report the situation, and put distance between you and just about anything that doesn’t feel right.

Just my opinion. If that’s makes me a @#$&@, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post
    Well the people on street corners tend to get a bad rep since most just turn and go right to the package store or for drugs... and a lot of them wont even except food or you offering to get them something - just $$ for drugs/alcohol. I'm sure not every one but a large portion and then you have the ones that have $$ and are making themselves look homeless. Around here they offer people in need to help work at a soup kitchen or something but most deny all that and stand on the street corners... I'm not saying every one is like that but you have to understand why they have a bad rep and people ignore them.... you can't just expect people to have sympathy, gotta see both sides of that view to. Then that's no way to justify stealing stuff either, A lot of people have the physical ability to do something besides beg and don't and a lot are offered some kind of help but still rather stand on the corner begging trying to make people feel bad instead.

Hurting for food is no justification for stealing somebody else's... what about the person your stealing from in the back country possibly just turning the page and putting them in the same position. How many backpackers eat real good every day and have extra food to spare they aren't counting on....

I wouldn't wish upon anybody being seriously hurt but a good old butt kicking is exactly what anybody stealing somebody else's food out in the back country deserves!
    This is well put as well.

No matter what there's no excuse for stealing what doesn't belong to you. And if you get caught you might just get what you deserve a hard lesson learned. Like that last sentence explains.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++