WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: NY/NJ shuttle

Default NY/NJ shuttle

I've been trying to hire a shuttle for October 5th to pick me up in NY near the CT border and take me back to my car at the Mohican Outdoor Center in NJ, but I'm struggling to find a shuttle driver who is still operating because of COVID. I've reached out to George Lightcap, Debbie's Shuttles, Meadowlark Farm, and Ron from the shuttle list on this site, with no luck. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
    -tagg

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

Try Steve at (484) 818-3851. He's out of Delaware Water Gap.

I successfully and more affordably used uber.

This ride with Uber would cost $144. $1.30/ Mile.

$2/ Mile above the Mason Dixon Line is my expected rate to be charged.
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 09-16-2020 at 10:25.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Try Mosey's Place hostel in Port Jervis, NY.

Go to WB home page and download latest shuttle listing. Everything you need is there.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    Go to WB home page and download latest shuttle listing. Everything you need is there.
    I did that. Those are the people I called (and listed above) who aren't running shuttles right now.
    -tagg

How are you going to handle the required 14 day quarantine? South Carolina is currently on NY's list for travelers needing to quarantine on arrival.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Serious question, since I'm also in a state on the list and am considering my next section through New York - how would the state know, and what are the potential consequences? Does anyone know?
    "Waning Gibbous" would be a great trail name.

Call Carl "the bush" at 845-820-1331. He is not a shuttle service but is helping me out with a shuttle from DWG to the NY/CT border just a few days before you. He has quoted me a great price and just wants to help hikers out. I had the same trouble getting a shuttle as most have suspended their services for the year.

To all asking questions pertaining to legalities of covid, and coming from someone who has taken all the necessary precautions to complete 2 long distance hikes this year. It should be less of a concern of what the implications/ consequences will be and more about what is the ethical choice. Here is what I did to prepare for my 2 week and 1 week section hikes in NH and ME this year

-Self quarantined for 2 weeks
    -Rented private accommodations for the entirety of our stay
    -Rented private transportation for the entirety of our stay
    -72 hours or less to leaving my wife and I both got tested and carried our negative test results with us
    -We printed, signed and reviewed the CDC Guidelines for every state we would be traveling in
    -Once in our resident state for the trip we began as strict of a quarantine as we could and followed that states guidelines
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Negative test results does not mean much because you can get infected with the virus next time you leave home. Testing for antibodies makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    Negative test results does not mean much because you can get infected with the virus next time you leave home. Testing for antibodies makes more sense.
    This isn't the topic. The only aspect of Covid-19 relevant to the thread is whether the rules for travel are going to be followed. That follows from the site user agreement
    4. Discussions involving how to commit illegal acts, or involving the use, production and/or distribution of illegal drugs are forbidden.

Which brings me to this question.
    Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBuilder View Post
    Serious question, since I'm also in a state on the list and am considering my next section through New York - how would the state know, and what are the potential consequences? Does anyone know?
    How would the state know if you shoplifted when no one was looking?
    How would the state know if you were driving while intoxicated?
    How will the IRS know if you are cheating on your taxes?
    They'll know when you get caught. The consequences however aren't the point. We have consequences because people won't follow rules. In this particular instance, the state of NY is asking that travelers quarantine if they will be in the state longer than 24 hours and Whiteblaze.net is asking users not to have discussions involving how to commit illegal acts. NY and other northeastern states have enacted rules for travelers in response to Covid-19. By early next week, 200,000 Americans will have died from this disease, that number is over 60x the number of people that died on 9/11. I personally understand the magnitude and severity of this pandemic. I say this to be abundantly clear that if a user is indicating they will be ignoring the regulations on Covid-19, they should expect that I will enforce the user agreement. Now I would much prefer that people be good neighbors and travelers and respect the laws of the places they visit then I could just have an enjoyable trip report to read when they get back. So please be mindful of state and local regulations. Please because lives really do depend on it.

It's a neighborly day in this beauty wood, ...
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    How are you going to handle the required 14 day quarantine? South Carolina is currently on NY's list for travelers needing to quarantine on arrival.
    I'm leaving for NJ in a little bit and will be there for 14 days before I enter NY, and NJ isn't on the list.
    -tagg

Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post
    I did that. Those are the people I called (and listed above) who aren't running shuttles right now.
    Debbie's Shuttles & George Lightcap have the red highlights indicating that they are not shuttling due to the pandemic. Meadowlark Farm is a B&B and may be too busy to do long shuttles (just speculating). I don't know about Ron. He may be booked up.

Try some of the other operators listed.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post
    I'm leaving for NJ in a little bit and will be there for 14 days before I enter NY, and NJ isn't on the list.
    Hiking that whole section are you?

BTW, were you aware that SC is on NJ's Covid-19 travel advisory list? From that link
    The self-quarantine is voluntary, but compliance is expected.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    Call Carl "the bush" at 845-820-1331. He is not a shuttle service but is helping me out with a shuttle from DWG to the NY/CT border just a few days before you. He has quoted me a great price and just wants to help hikers out. I had the same trouble getting a shuttle as most have suspended their services for the year.
    Just wanted to say thanks for this recommendation! Carl shuttled me from NY 17 to DWG last weekend. He was very dependable and gave me a great rate.
    It's all good in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I successfully and more affordably used uber.
    And thanks for this recommendation, as well. I walked out of the woods and had an Uber pick me up in less than 10 minutes.
    -tagg

++ New Posts ++