WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Having been involved with SAR/R operations in the past I cannot see a circumstance the incident commander would allow someone suffering from a serious concussion coupled with severe dehydration being released to family. Lots of conflicting "facts" in the way.

Recovery from severe dehydration is not something that can be reversed in a few minutes with a canteen of water. Severe dehydration typically requires 24-hours or more at a hospital for intravenous rehydration at minimum for recovery and monitoring renal and other critical body systems that would be in process of shut down if the victim actually did go 12-days without fresh water. Under standard SAR protocols called LASH (Locate, Access, Stabilize, Transport) I would be very surprised if the incident commander would simply say, "sure, take her home and have a nice day" if the claimed condition of the victim are true.

More information clearly is needed.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Who goes on a "pre-hike fast"?

My red flag is the fact that the NPS and SAR teams released virtually no information beyond the patient's name and the fact that she had been found alive. Land management officials usually say where a patient was found along with a short synopsis of what occurred and the general condition of the patient. I suspect authorities are deliberately withholding information. The flip side is that the sheriff wants answers as well. The NPS is either withholding the information from him or he disagrees with the decision to withhold the information from the public.
    Be Prepared

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb The answer is simple

Who goes on a "pre-hike fast"?
    Somebody who's been struggling with mental health issues for years prior to the hike.
    https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/10/...-out-physical/

Some rather important people in history have fasted while being out in the wilderness for a while
    https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...-2&version=NIV
    so perhaps Ms Courtier thought she could gain some similar "insight" by following this example. It could have led to her death; fortunately, it did not.

I guess I sorta get the idea here what she was trying to accomplish. Nothing better than a cleansing and forestbathing right.....
    Good news she's checked herself into a mental health wellness clinic.
    That article GoldenBear provided says she walked out on her own and family drove her to the hospital. So the mother and her son who saw her hammock called for help and that help called her family to come pick her up? Not a medical team ? I'm just trying to understand this a little more. After 14+ no days without food and at least 12 days without water? Truly a miracle right someone wants her alive!!
    And wouldn't that suck to be right next to all that water and be dying of dehydration. you can't drink or you know you die for sure. Kinda like dying at sea.

Look at the bright-side...at least she wasn't abducted at gunpoint by two hispanic females.
    It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    Look at the bright-side...at least she wasn't abducted at gunpoint by two hispanic females.
    True that! Or abducted by aliens !

Is it raining yet?
    Images

What is clear is that the NPS is not working with local law enforcement:

https://www.nationalparkstraveler.or...#comment-79952
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    What is clear is that the NPS is not working with local law enforcement:

https://www.nationalparkstraveler.or...#comment-79952

The wording of your post makes it sound (to me) like the you're saying that the NPS has declined to work with local law enforcement. However, the article at your link suggest the opposite is the case.

"Despite the thorough investigation conducted by the National Park Service, Utah State Code does not grant them the authority to investigate violations of Utah law," the statement [from the Washington County Sheriff’s Office] continued. "Based on our local authority and jurisdiction, ....

It's worth noting that there are federal wire fraud statutes, so the notion that fraud allegations are solely the province of state law is incorrect.

Images

The wording of your post makes it sound (to me) like the you're saying that the NPS has declined to work with local law enforcement. However, the article at your link suggest the opposite is the case.

that's how i read it as well....

Is it raining yet?
    Images

What is clear is that local law enforcement is not working with the NPS.

Better?
    Be Prepared

And yet still remarkably (intentionally?) misleading.

I thought this statement by the Sheriffs office was interesting.

"Based on our local authority and jurisdiction, the Sheriff’s Office had an obligation to the public to investigate the criminal allegations which were being presented. At this point in the investigation, there has been no evidence to support the theory that the incident was committed intentionally as an effort to achieve financial gain. However, we ask that any credible information submitted is based on tangible leads, and/or evidence which can be shared with investigators."

We may never know the full story. Where’s Paul Harvey when you need him?

Images

What is clear is that local law enforcement is not working with the NPS.

Better?

yeah....

this ain't better....

something along these lines is better--

"what is clear is that the national park service has performed their investigation,
    but local law enforcement has decided, due to state laws, will also make an investigation
    of this case"...........

your wording makes it seems like the two agencies are not working hand in hand and there might be some
    animosity between the two agencies in regards to this case.....

Is it raining yet?
    Images

The fact that the Sheriff's Office is asking questions and making such statements within hearing of the media means the SO and NPS are not working together.
    Be Prepared

You're not making the slightest bit of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    . . . Where’s Paul Harvey when you need him?
    Apparently he can be found here . . . https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...photo=16429148

Forest Park, Cook County, IL
    Mausoleum, Section 49, Lot 676
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    You're not making the slightest bit of sense.
    Ok. Let me explain as a former NPS employee and current law enforcement officer.

When law enforcement agencies work together, they either appoint a single public information officer to speak for the task force or each agency PIO shares its talking points with the others to ensure that the same message is presented to the public. This effort ensures consistent information and ensures that case sensitive information is not inadvertently exposed.

That is not happening here.

Here you have silence from the NPS. No details on the rescue whatsoever. That is not normal. Then you have the Sheriff's Office openly asking questions that they either already know the answers to or which the NPS won't share with them. Either way, that is not normal.

Logical conclusion: the NPS and SO are not working well together.
    Be Prepared

Noted that you believe that.

Also noted that you made a leap of judgement and presented it as fact, twice. One that effectively no one else in this thread sees as rational, regardless of their background or experience.

Thank you for sharing your perspective.

Images

just outta curiosity, have you been in contact with the Park's PIO and asked them what sorts of info they have released?

Ok. Let me explain as a former NPS employee and current law enforcement officer.

When law enforcement agencies work together, they either appoint a single public information officer to speak for the task force or each agency PIO shares its talking points with the others to ensure that the same message is presented to the public. This effort ensures consistent information and ensures that case sensitive information is not inadvertently exposed.

Here you have silence from the NPS. No details on the rescue whatsoever. That is not normal. Then you have the Sheriff's Office openly asking questions that they either already know the answers to or which the NPS won't share with them. Either way, that is not normal.

Logical conclusion: the NPS and SO are not working well together.
    First off thank you for being a law enforcement officer and prince George's Co at that, probably worse than Baltimore in some places.

As far as NPS there wasn't much of a rescue was there? They went to where the hammock was spotted and found her and walked her out. That's when she says no need for the hospital just call my sister to come get me.
    If that's the way it went down I don't know that the NPS knows anymore, other than what she is saying about what happened.
    I don't know what kind of information they could be holding?
    The whole thing is just weird ! She only goes a 1/2mile beside a creek that you can't drink out of sets her hammock up leans back and hits her head and is so disoriented for 12 days she can't walk out? Or yell for help? What did she do for 12 days?
    But my point is I don't know that anybody NPS, Sheriff’s knows anything to share?
    Only she knows right? And maybe Paul Harvey but since we can't ask him........

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++