WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Sterno Inferno,

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Default Sterno Inferno,

It may have been covered here before, but sometimes you rediscover stuff, and I’ve rediscovered the Sterno Inferno. It’s a stove stand/windscreen/pot setup meant to be used with Sterno, but works great with any alcohol stove. It’s a jetboil for your cat can stove.

The set comes with a stand, windscreen, snuffer, pot, and lid. Keep the windscreen and pot and toss the rest. What you’ll have left is a pot and very effective windscreen/stand weighing 6.1 ounces, just an ounce heavier than my titanium pot and homemade stand. The pot has a built-in Jetboil-style heat exchanger.

With my Evernew titanium stove (any alcohol stove should do fine) and an ounce of yellow heet, I can boil 2 cups of water in 3 ½ minutes. I’ve tried it several times indoors and in the field, and that varies only a few seconds either side of 3:30. If I use the heat exchanger pot alone with my canister stove, it cuts the time to just 2 minutes!

The pot handles are silicone-covered, no burnt fingers!

It does have a few design flaws, the worst is that when heated, the pot, stand and lid all expand at different rates and will stick together. I tossed the heavy lid (I replaced it with aluminum foil) and ground the pot stand a bit to allow the pot to be lifted off without sticking.

With my titanium mug (I could go without the mug, but I like to have my coffee and breakfast at the same time) and it’s cozy wrapper, the whole setup nests with the stove, a paper towel and lighter and weighs 11 ounces total. It’s my new go-to trail kitchen. Less than thirty bucks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

++ New Posts ++