WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sterno Inferno,

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    It will heat water as fast as some canister stoves. It's made of TITANIUM Fits over round container that has screw on lid. Holds 3 days worth of fuel.

I will tweek it over the next few days.

I sure would like to have one!

It will heat water as fast as some canister stoves. It's made of TITANIUM Fits over round container that has screw on lid. Holds 3 days worth of fuel.

I will tweek it over the next few days.
    Very impressive! Just have to be careful not to overheat the HX fins because they can melt, especially with a canister stove... gotta dial it way back to avoid this.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Very impressive! Just have to be careful not to overheat the HX fins because they can melt, especially with a canister stove... gotta dial it way back to avoid this.
    As long as ther is water in the pot absorbing heat I've had no problems melting fins. Have you melted fins while water has been in pot?

Images

Over at bpl I got 2 cups to a boil using 2 grams of fuel with this set-up:

As long as ther is water in the pot absorbing heat I've had no problems melting fins. Have you melted fins while water has been in pot?
    I haven't but I think Jon Fong might've (he doesn't say it outright) because he mentions the potential for it in his instructions with the Ocelot plate mod for the Fire Maple stove.

When comparing the Sterno to the Olicamp XTS, JB, etc, Sterno doesn't have nearly as many fins to absorb/disperse the heat.

I remember this being an issue with the JB Sol Ti because (my guess) it didn't transfer heat from Al fins to Ti pot efficiently enough. But there were reports from a fair number of people who used them for years with no problems, so who knows? But JB did stop making them, so there's that!

Images

I haven't but I think Jon Fong might've (he doesn't say it outright) because he mentions the potential for it in his instructions with the Ocelot plate mod for the Fire Maple stove.

Once the water comes to a boil, infra red heat gets bounced back and forth back to the plate and may have caused a problem. Pot of water needs to be removed quickly once it comes to a boil. Oh the joys of canister stoves......one more thing to watch out for.

Just got back from Mo'orea where I was testing the Ocelot HX withthe Sterno Inferno using butane. Boiled 500 ml of 75 F water using 5.04 grams of fuel (5 test burns).
    https://youtu.be/4PTPULuVRZc

Images

I remember this being an issue with the JB Sol Ti because (my guess) it didn't transfer heat from Al fins to Ti pot efficiently enough. But there were reports from a fair number of people who used them for years with no problems, so who knows? But JB did stop making them, so there's that!
    Are you able to photogtaph the instructions that is given with the Ocelot plate please.

Here is the instructions given for the JB Sol Ti

I recomend running the Ocelots at 1/3 power (approximately 4-6 minutes to boil 2 cups). I have not melted the fins on the Inferno, there really is not a lot of data out there. Remember, the Inferno was designed to use with the Sterno Inferno Kit and that boiled water in abouit 12 minutes. That being said, I did some high speed boils: 500 ml boiled in 2:30 multiple times and see no problems at all. I don't think that overheating the fins is an issue. What is an issue is heating a small mug (any small mug) will have a chance of boiling over making it more difficult to turn the stove off. The Inferno mug is probably a great mug for people who want to boil 1.5 cups. The Fire Maple 1 liter mug is a better option. My 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by flatcatgear View Post
    I recomend running the Ocelots at 1/3 power (approximately 4-6 minutes to boil 2 cups). I have not melted the fins on the Inferno, there really is not a lot of data out there. Remember, the Inferno was designed to use with the Sterno Inferno Kit and that boiled water in abouit 12 minutes. That being said, I did some high speed boils: 500 ml boiled in 2:30 multiple times and see no problems at all. I don't think that overheating the fins is an issue. What is an issue is heating a small mug (any small mug) will have a chance of boiling over making it more difficult to turn the stove off. The Inferno mug is probably a great mug for people who want to boil 1.5 cups. The Fire Maple 1 liter mug is a better option. My 2 cents.
    Thanks for the clarification... but I don't want to be the first to toast the fins! It was designed for the slow-burning gel, after all, complete with *WARNING* .... but maybe similar to MSR warning label which cautions you should only use MSR pots with their stoves LOL.

For me the Inferno has plenty of headroom for 2 cups, but I do keep an eye on it and remove it from the flame just as it reaches boiling.

The best feature of tbe Ocelot HX system is robustness in the wind. Most canister topped stoves do not function above a 5 mph wind. Uing a HX pot really alows you to increase perfromance in the wind. Teh Ocelot HX is good to at least 8-10 mph wind. While not recommende or spec'ed for this, we were able to boil water in 20 moh wind; keep in mind that wind gust can blow the stove out.

Here is a short video in 20 mph wind

https://youtu.be/n0CfF7YWyvM

Images

The Jetboils have a plate attached just under the burner head. Flatcatgear shows attaching his plate to the underside of the burner head. Jetboils had problems with overheating. I suspect overheating problems will occur with the ocelot HX plate also....just a matter of time until we start hearing of serious failures.

.......jetboil plate attached to underside of burner head.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_con...ature=emb_logo

Ocelot HX plate attached under burner head:

Different forum and Dan is speculating yet again with zero data. At least this time, he hasn't purposely spelled my name incorrectly. With respect to data, temperature measurement have been taken at various components of multiple times. Data speaks for itself. There are approximately 50 kits installed around the world and while early, there are been zero complaints so far. Dan, I would appreciate it if you could back up your opinions with some real data or information. If not, you are just throwing a dead cart on the table. Best regards.
    3393ih9lpulpgj7u3q5mjvndh6jrwkxm.jpg

The Jetboils have a plate attached just under the burner head. Flatcatgear shows attaching his plate to the underside of the burner head. Jetboils had problems with overheating. I suspect overheating problems will occur with the ocelot HX plate also....just a matter of time until we start hearing of serious failures.

.......jetboil plate attached to underside of burner head.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_con...ature=emb_logo

Ocelot HX plate attached under burner head:

Quote Originally Posted by flatcatgear View Post
    Different forum and Dan is speculating yet again with zero data. At least this time, he hasn't purposely spelled my name incorrectly. With respect to data, temperature measurement have been taken at various components of multiple times. Data speaks for itself. There are approximately 50 kits installed around the world and while early, there are been zero complaints so far. Dan, I would appreciate it if you could back up your opinions with some real data or information. If not, you are just throwing a dead cart on the table. Best regards.
    3393ih9lpulpgj7u3q5mjvndh6jrwkxm.jpg
    I don't have a dog in this fight because I'm merely a humble consumer of both your products. However, several times last winter I used the Ocelot/FMS-300T with the Olicamp XTS at a very high setting—probably about 75%, because only a stove noob would run 100%—and did not have any overheating problems at all.

Once, during an extreme test, I ran a Jetboil MiniMo at 100% for 30 minutes straight with ambient temp of 75°F. It did not melt.

I'm sure that you guys have seen all manner of moronic use/abuse of your products so it does not surprise me to see a pic of a JB product that was similarly mistreated. Having used JBs quite a bit for personal testing, I'd wager a king's ransom that a pot support which melted like that in the photo probably had a windscreen wrapped very closely around it, which of course is a ginormous no-no. (The YT link didn't work for me.)

Here is the JetBoil video; the customer was using a small pot adapter and using it to heat a frying pan (not used with HX mug to boil water). Apples and oranges: just the facts

OK, I was able to see that one. However, it would require a bit of forensic analysis to find out what really happened.

I've got one of those pot adapters and IMO there's no way it would have been a factor. There was some sort of damage to the stove—perhaps a crack in the body near the venturi, or some sort of breach in the O-ring near the Lindal valve, etc etc—that permitted fuel to leak out and combust somewhere below the burner.

When presented with something like this we must keep in mind that there's always a history behind the stove... was it dropped, squashed in a pack, assembled with dirt/grit in the system?... or subjected to a lot of rough handling? We all know that when it comes to gear there is a spectrum of people who own it: those who are very easy on gear ranging to those who are very hard on gear, and we have no idea what might've led up to its final demise.

This fellow also had issues with the Whisperlite, which is another stove I know quite well, and he says "the tank failed me" (huh?) and "the burner failed me," and I really don't know whassup with that.

I hope nobody is relying solely upon this video for stove advice.

Images

[COLOR=var(--posttitletextcolor)]I melted my JetBoil making coffee ��

https://www.reddit.com/r/CampingGear/comments/8xdbgm/i_melted_my_jetboil_making_coffee/

Tomcfitz·3yYup. At least half of the jetboils I've seen have that same issue.Son_of_Liberty88·3yDang. I don’t use mine anymore but do you think a warranty would cover that?dystopianprom·3yHappened to mine too :/ i switched to MSR pocket rocket and have yet to have an issue with itgaz2600OP·3yI looked at that one today, decided to give the Etekcity a try first.DelilahDee912·3yMSR Pocket Rocket ftw- I’ve been using mine for years.iamflossyman74·3yI used my jet boil in 60 mph winds in Patagonia. It never failed me.level 2HaakenforHawks·3yI used my jet boil in 45 mph winds on Mt Adams on Friday. It wouldn't self-ignite at all and when I used a lighter to light it it would go out within seconds. And this is all behind a 4ft tall wind wall. Returned it for an MSR WhisperliteI eventually built a wind wall with rocks right around it so that there was 0 wind and I could finally boil snow for water. Then it burned through the brand new gas tank after boiling snow in it 4 times. If my group didn't all bring their own stoves we would have been out of water.cptjpk·3yNever had this issue with my Windburner ¯\_(ツ)_/¯travellingmonk·3yDid you have it cranked up in high wind? Or heat up an empty cup? Both of those have been known to melt the plastic.OP·3ycup was full (to the line), I had it on a lower heat for 5 min or so and didn't get a boil so I gave it a twist, I don't think it was on full heat. There was a breeze but not high wind.the_normal_person·3ywere you using a windscreen or something around the stove?OP·3yno, just had it sitting on the camp picnic tableTertiumNonHater·3yNot sure why everyone is having an issue making coffee. I have a jetboil and the French press thingy. You boil the water and shut it off, then you put in the coffee and let it sit for ~3 minutes. Although I should reserve judgement— signs are suggesting user error in this case. The coffee was always superb.Jetboils are great, but if you wanna cook your spaghetti os or whatever get a snow peak.gaz2600OP·3yYea it sounds simple and worked fine for many uses but this last time it melted.woodsun·3yThis recently happened to me as well. I sent it back and they repaired for me at no cost except shipping.1·3ymine seems to function ok still just does not fit in the cup anymore, I think I'm going to just file off the melted part.1backobeyond_·3yJetBoils do that. JetBoils are dumb.ghetto_headache·3yDude. Out of all the things we cook on the jet, coffee always creates the biggest issue..

Last edited by zelph; 08-04-2021 at 21:24.

Images

perhaps a crack in the body near the venturi, or some sort of breach in the O-ring near the Lindal valve, etc etc—that permitted fuel to leak out and combust somewhere below the burner.

When presented with something like this we must keep in mind that there's always a history behind the stove...
    I suspect it was breach in the O-ring near the Lindal valve caused by heat being transferred downward by the plate attached below the burner.

Jetboil had to redesign their stoves. They added a low melting point ring close to the O-ring that will melt and seal the entry of fuel to the stove. Stoves that over heated had to be returned to the manufacturer.

I made some plates so I can do some testing:
    The plates have "ridges" for lots of strength and warp prevention. Plate weighs 4 grams.
    PXL_20210805_155748495.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images

The Ocelite is evolving. I'll be putting it through some testing this weekend. Gotta get more fuel.

The ridge on the plate prevents the pot from sliding off, perfect fit. Look how nice it fits the bottom of the pot:

Dan,

Rather than copying the Ocelot HX design, why don't you pursue your Elekcity System / HX mug design? A system that can boil 2 cups of water using 2 grams of fuel will be seriouslty better than the Ocelot system (or any other canister stove) and should be an outstanding product. The more you burn, the more you learn.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++