WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default BMT Thru Hikers Guide- Thanks Sgt Rock!

After trying for a while to find a copy for sale in a store, I finally ordered a copy of the BMT Thru Hikers Guide direct from Sgt Rock (the author) this past Friday. It arrived yesterday, earlier than expected, and included a personal note and signature from the Sarge! This guide is really useful as it reads much like the classic AT Thru Hikers Guide from AWOL. Good elevation profiles, waypoints, loads of info.

Just wanted to pass along a thanks for great service and for keeping this book up to date each year. This is a 2020-2021 version for those of you who are thinking of getting it. Here is a link: http://bmtguide.com/ if you want to go check it out.

For what it's worth, I don't plan to thru hike it but have been steadily doing sections and this will really help plan for the weekend trips I want to do next year.

Thanks, Sgt. Rock!

Images

that's the only way to order to be honest....

that way to get the most current one....

lots of folks on this board have done pieces of the BMT, so if you have any questions, ask away...

Glad to hear he's still around. As I recall few disappeared from wb a few years back. I need to get back and finish the second half of the BMT but who knows when I'll get the chance...

is there an update coming out soon?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I'm finally getting serious about doing two halves of the BMK up to Deals Gap, at least one half this year. I have the 2014-15 edition of Sgt Rocks guidebook and am using NatGeo map #781 2006 edition to visualize (TN at least) (GA was much easier) and put the route onto my GAIA page. I see Ocoee River is about half way for this if I start at Amicalola.
    Do I need a full updated guidebook or can I get recent updates some other way? I have not kept up with whiteblaze lately so have no clue what has changed since the 2006 Nat Geo. One thing Nat Geo shows that GAIA does not show is the trail right after crossing Little Ten River going to Deals Gap.

To be honest, I can not plan the route with only the SGT rock guidebook because almost all ques only say "intersect trail xyx" without clearly stating if you follow original trl or turn at intersection.
    Edwin

Quote Originally Posted by ednotmilkman View Post
    I'm finally getting serious about doing two halves of the BMK up to Deals Gap, at least one half this year. I have the 2014-15 edition of Sgt Rocks guidebook and am using NatGeo map #781 2006 edition to visualize (TN at least) (GA was much easier) and put the route onto my GAIA page. I see Ocoee River is about half way for this if I start at Amicalola.
    Do I need a full updated guidebook or can I get recent updates some other way? I have not kept up with whiteblaze lately so have no clue what has changed since the 2006 Nat Geo. One thing Nat Geo shows that GAIA does not show is the trail right after crossing Little Ten River going to Deals Gap.

To be honest, I can not plan the route with only the SGT rock guidebook because almost all ques only say "intersect trail xyx" without clearly stating if you follow original trl or turn at intersection.
    Edwin
    To me the main benefit of an updated guide book would be information on towns/resupply. Trail navigation-wise, I’d think you’d be fine with a combination of GAIA/GPS and the older book. That language about intersections confused me at times as well. If you look to the edge of page, where it shows elevation, it tracks which specific trail you’re following at any given time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mockernut View Post
    After trying for a while to find a copy for sale in a store, I finally ordered a copy of the BMT Thru Hikers Guide direct from Sgt Rock (the author)
    A friend and I thru-hiked the BMT back in 2020 and I would agree that the guide is invaluable and highly recommended. My friend also had Guthooks (now Far Out) for the Benton MacKaye and I'd say it's spot on and very useful as well.

Thanks for the clue about edge of page on Guidebook, Slugg. I'm hoping my hiking buddy can come with me as he has been using Guthooks while I get the "bigger picture" looking at downloaded GAIA maps with my routes.

Default BMT Thru Hikers Guide- Thanks Sgt Rock!

There was a significant trail re-route in 2015 in the Slickrock area. The old guidebook would take you into at least one potentially dangerous creek ford. The new guidebook shows both the old and the new routes. It's worth having.

++ New Posts ++