WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Deep Gap to Springer

Just starting the planning and was hoping someone with more knowledge than me (read anyone) could answer a few questions.
    • How are the trail conditions compared to Maine? If I can plan on 1mph in Maine what can I expect in GA?
    • When does bug season start and end?
    • Through that area is there a bad or good time to hike it?
    • In a normal year how is the water thru that area?

Thanks in advance so much to figure out
    RDL

Compared to Maine, GA is a cake walk. 2.5 MPH average should be easy to obtain.
    Not sure they really have a bug season, but I've only been there in the spring.
    Spring is the best time, May is good. Plenty of water, lots of wild flowers, mild temps, S-load of people.

Deep Gap is not the best place to start. it's not easy to get to and a shuttle will cost you because of that. Start at Franklin, NC or Hiawassee.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Or start at Standing Indian Campground, take Kimsey Creek Trail to meet the AT at Deep Gap.

• How are the trail conditions compared to Maine? If I can plan on 1mph in Maine what can I expect in GA? - Very easy walking in GA

• When does bug season start and end? I would consider "bug season" to overlap with the hot muggy months for Georgia weather history. From Mid October to Mid May I would not consider the bugs to be an issue. Overall however, the bugs in GA year round are nothing like the peter nats ME has.
    • Through that area is there a bad or good time to hike it? I would avoid March and April unless you like people watching. Thru hiker crowds are a plenty then but I never had issues finding a place to tent. I enjoy hiking in October myself
    • In a normal year how is the water thru that area? Water has always been a non issue for me in GA. But I will typically drink a liter at every source I come to no matter the state, which relieves the stress of water for me on trail.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

The Georgia section isn't bad. There are some tough areas, but you can usually make 2 mph, no problem. If you are used to Maine, 12 to 14 mile days shouldn't be a problem.

Bugs aren't bad, but the heat can be. There are times in July/August when your sweat will be sweating.

I agree with avoiding March/April. Hiking against the bubble is no fun and all the campsites are crowded. July/August, just be prepared for an afternoon thunderstorm so be ready to take shelter.

Water isn't really a problem. In late August through September, you may need to plan ahead and carry 2 liters, but most of the time you can go liter to liter.

OK so i guess dicks gap would be a better ending place and shuttle from Hiawassee to Springer is the way to go.
    Thanks for all the info, wanted to do an early in the year trip so I could save the fall trip for VT. Will have to look at the weather and people factors and figure out what is best. Again thanks

++ New Posts ++